Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/)
-   General 6.0L Discussion (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/)
-   -   Fresh oil cooler, High Deltas? (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/1042641-fresh-oil-cooler-high-deltas.html)

rman 11-01-2015 07:21 PM

Fresh oil cooler, High Deltas?

Just got my truck back from putting in a new OEM oil cooler, along with BPD EGR cooler, studs, etc etc etc

My tech did both flushes, filled with ELC, everything by the book.

Driving home around 70mph, coolant stayed between 188-192, oil between 200-205, deltas ranged from 8 to 17.

Fan clutch is dead, and I was running Looney (not wild). Not running hard, and unloaded. mostly level, very mild grades up and down.

I know this isn't exactly the "test" for deltas, but I always hear people saying they never ever ever see more than 8*

Any input?

ZMANN 11-01-2015 08:09 PM

IMO do the test per the book with a functioning fan
why didn't you do the fan clutch when it was in the shop?

and are you 100% sure he used a Ford cooler ?

rman 11-01-2015 08:11 PM

i supplied the cooler, didn't realize clutch was toast until truck was put back together and road testing everything. hit some grades and ECT hit 220-230 briefly.

is 8-17* acceptable, unloaded, say at 70 mph?

jmeaby 11-01-2015 11:01 PM

Fix your fan then redo the test I have not heard of a bad Ford cooler out of the box I'm sure it has happened but haven't heard of it yet

rman 11-01-2015 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmeaby (Post 12632433)
Fix your fan then redo the test I have not heard of a bad Ford cooler out of the box I'm sure it has happened but haven't heard of it yet

wouldnt the ECT be high with a bad fan cluth?

should i replace it with stock, or convert to 7.3?

also, i read in another thread awhile ago that someone showed a pretty big variance with their SCT or Edge vs. AI or similar.... which if that were the case... my deltas were never really that bad haha.

Would hate to have all this $$ in my stupid livewire and end up having to add a couple gauges to monitor deltas more accurately.

CrazyS0b 11-01-2015 11:18 PM

Stock or 7.3 doesn't matter, you need to fix that issue...

You will run all kinds of strange numbers until that fan is doing its job. It isn't just a matter of pulling air, that fan keeps a consistent air flow through the radiator. The spaces between the condenser, intercooler, and rad create dead spaces where air doesn't flow well. Much like behind the cab on your truck there is a low pressure zone, you get that in between all of those layers as well. As things heat up and need more air flow that fan kicks on (right around 220*) and forces air through.

You will never get consistent deltas without the fan clutch working properly. But... Anything less than 10-15* is acceptable.

HeavyAssault 11-02-2015 03:12 AM

I'd say get a tstat for replacement unless that was done with all the other work.

rman 11-02-2015 05:33 AM

brand new OEM tstat, new water pump. ECT is dang near perfect

ZMANN 11-02-2015 09:27 AM

despite your normal ECT what we are trying to say is u can't use your delta's as a comparison against a database compiled of trucks that had a properly working fan clutch's

so it's not worth discussing until you get it fixed
either with he BPD conversion , a OEM snowplow or stock clutch

rman 11-02-2015 08:21 PM

thanks guys. i get a little... obsessive with a dash of denial and hope haha.

plan to do the BPD 7.3 conversion. Looks like they use the Sever Duty Hayden... 108 on amazon. Anyone know of a better fan or deal?