SCT and tow/haul mode - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 10-27-2015, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SCT and tow/haul mode

I tow using Matt's unlimitted tow tune which enhances tranny shift points, firmness and tow/haul mode.

When descending long hills the tow/haul mode works pretty good in slowing my truck and trailer. Once I have to apply the service brake after it has been in the same gear for a bit the trans wants to down**** into the next lower gear which is way to low for the speed I am traveling and RPM's ramp up to 3500. I normally disengage the tow/haul mode, reapply it and start over riding the brake to hold the desired gear/speed. I understand it is unavoidable to not ride the service brake but I wanted to minimize the application of the service brake.....or be able to slightly tap it/ride it to slow down just a tad.

My question:

Is there a way to program the trans with my tuner to not engage that 2nd to last gear until a lower speed is hit?

Thanks
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-27-2015, 03:02 PM

Thanked 1,805 Times in 1,749 Posts
Mentioned: 691 Post(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
I would talk to Matt and do you have his jake brake option ?

i think the 6.0 transmission braking works pretty good sometimes i try to set my desired speed in cruise if i don't want to ride the brakes it seems to work better but of course if you need to tap the brake say in a turn then cruise shuts off on it's own
The Following User Says Thank You to ZMANN For This Useful Post:
joe blow (10-27-2015)
post #3 of 10 Old 10-27-2015, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

I don't have Matt's jake option as he recommended not to use it. I can however turn it on using the programmer which I've tried but it gets over bearing sometimes since it actuates as soon as you let off the throttle.

I'll shoot him an email and see what he says
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-03-2015, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Has anyone had luck with emails being returned by Gearhead?

I am going on a week and no response.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-03-2015, 10:29 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've only used the canned SCT tow tune and actually like it. I like being able to change the options the way I want it. I do have WPE tow tune but haven't used it yet. I could be wrong but isn't the engine designed to perform like that, downshift and use engine braking even if it is at 3500 rpm? I know it sounds kind of scary downshifting to that high of an rpm, but I don't know if there should be cause for concern.

- Michael
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- If being an NCO was easy, we'd be called Officers.

2017 F350 Lariat DRW
- Click
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for details

Sold 05OCT16 - 2006 F350 DRW - 175/Stock, UCF o-ringed heads, KC Stage 2 - Click
for details

Traded 01SEP18 '11 Ram 2500 Big Horn (Wife's), 6.7L Cummins - Click
for details
'13 XLR Hyperlite Toy Hauler 5er

Ford diesel documents

post #6 of 10 Old 11-04-2015, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

My main concern is the truck revving so high for so long. It seems like a big load on the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetguru View Post
I've only used the canned SCT tow tune and actually like it. I like being able to change the options the way I want it. I do have WPE tow tune but haven't used it yet. I could be wrong but isn't the engine designed to perform like that, downshift and use engine braking even if it is at 3500 rpm? I know it sounds kind of scary downshifting to that high of an rpm, but I don't know if there should be cause for concern.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-04-2015, 09:47 AM
6.0 Junkie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Dont worry about letting it that high in RPMs, my truck sees that or more daily. It's okay on a 6.0 it was actually designed for 4,000rpms but the PCM was later flashed before the 2004.5 model came out to only rev out at 3650 or so.

2003 6.0L CCSB 4x4 999,xxx+

AKA Big Red

Original Heads, Gaskets, Pistons, Crank, Block

SCT X4 Tuned, S363.sxe, Warren 155/30s

K&N Intake, EGR Delete, Stock exhaust without muf or cat, Blue spring, stock wheels and tryes

Only have used Rotella T6, Motorcraft Filters, Archoil AR9100 and AR6200
post #8 of 10 Old 11-04-2015, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

You see those high rpm's daily?
Do you tow quite a bit?
post #9 of 10 Old 11-06-2015, 01:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
A statement like that is misleading. To run the engine that high while under acceleration is dangerous and you're beating the **** out of the motor. But during deccel its not as hard on the motor, but still....
post #10 of 10 Old 11-06-2015, 03:30 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calkidd View Post
A statement like that is misleading. To run the engine that high while under acceleration is dangerous and you're beating the **** out of the motor. But during deccel its not as hard on the motor, but still....
I disagree.

When I was a truck driver, if you had some weight on, it was pedal to the floor through every gear, and that is every day, all day. It's how they are designed to operate, they are built for work. With that said, that is at stock parameters.

Now, doing that with some hopped up engine that has 200 hp more than factory and timing and cylinder pressure modified, that's another story.

- Michael
- If being an NCO was easy, we'd be called Officers.

2017 F350 Lariat DRW
- Click
for details

Sold 05OCT16 - 2006 F350 DRW - 175/Stock, UCF o-ringed heads, KC Stage 2 - Click
for details

Traded 01SEP18 '11 Ram 2500 Big Horn (Wife's), 6.7L Cummins - Click
for details
'13 XLR Hyperlite Toy Hauler 5er

Ford diesel documents

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode