Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/)
-   General 6.0L Discussion (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/)
-   -   SCT and tow/haul mode (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/1040265-sct-tow-haul-mode.html)

joe blow 10-27-2015 12:11 PM

SCT and tow/haul mode

7 Attachment(s)
I tow using Matt's unlimitted tow tune which enhances tranny shift points, firmness and tow/haul mode.

When descending long hills the tow/haul mode works pretty good in slowing my truck and trailer. Once I have to apply the service brake after it has been in the same gear for a bit the trans wants to down**** into the next lower gear which is way to low for the speed I am traveling and RPM's ramp up to 3500. I normally disengage the tow/haul mode, reapply it and start over riding the brake to hold the desired gear/speed. I understand it is unavoidable to not ride the service brake but I wanted to minimize the application of the service brake.....or be able to slightly tap it/ride it to slow down just a tad.

My question:

Is there a way to program the trans with my tuner to not engage that 2nd to last gear until a lower speed is hit?

Thanks
Joe

ZMANN 10-27-2015 03:02 PM

I would talk to Matt and do you have his jake brake option ?

i think the 6.0 transmission braking works pretty good sometimes i try to set my desired speed in cruise if i don't want to ride the brakes it seems to work better but of course if you need to tap the brake say in a turn then cruise shuts off on it's own

joe blow 10-27-2015 05:18 PM

7 Attachment(s)
I don't have Matt's jake option as he recommended not to use it. I can however turn it on using the programmer which I've tried but it gets over bearing sometimes since it actuates as soon as you let off the throttle.

I'll shoot him an email and see what he says

joe blow 11-03-2015 05:49 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Has anyone had luck with emails being returned by Gearhead?

I am going on a week and no response.

Gadgetguru 11-03-2015 10:29 PM

I've only used the canned SCT tow tune and actually like it. I like being able to change the options the way I want it. I do have WPE tow tune but haven't used it yet. I could be wrong but isn't the engine designed to perform like that, downshift and use engine braking even if it is at 3500 rpm? I know it sounds kind of scary downshifting to that high of an rpm, but I don't know if there should be cause for concern.

joe blow 11-04-2015 08:23 AM

7 Attachment(s)
My main concern is the truck revving so high for so long. It seems like a big load on the engine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadgetguru (Post 12645689)
I've only used the canned SCT tow tune and actually like it. I like being able to change the options the way I want it. I do have WPE tow tune but haven't used it yet. I could be wrong but isn't the engine designed to perform like that, downshift and use engine braking even if it is at 3500 rpm? I know it sounds kind of scary downshifting to that high of an rpm, but I don't know if there should be cause for concern.

the6ohguy 11-04-2015 09:47 AM

Dont worry about letting it that high in RPMs, my truck sees that or more daily. It's okay on a 6.0 it was actually designed for 4,000rpms but the PCM was later flashed before the 2004.5 model came out to only rev out at 3650 or so.

joe blow 11-04-2015 10:07 AM

7 Attachment(s)
You see those high rpm's daily?
Do you tow quite a bit?

Calkidd 11-06-2015 01:59 AM

A statement like that is misleading. To run the engine that high while under acceleration is dangerous and you're beating the **** out of the motor. But during deccel its not as hard on the motor, but still....

Gadgetguru 11-06-2015 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calkidd (Post 12658441)
A statement like that is misleading. To run the engine that high while under acceleration is dangerous and you're beating the **** out of the motor. But during deccel its not as hard on the motor, but still....

I disagree.

When I was a truck driver, if you had some weight on, it was pedal to the floor through every gear, and that is every day, all day. It's how they are designed to operate, they are built for work. With that said, that is at stock parameters.

Now, doing that with some hopped up engine that has 200 hp more than factory and timing and cylinder pressure modified, that's another story.