5.4 is absolutely worthless - Page 3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Ford Gassers A Place for Diesel nuts to discuss Ford Gasoline powered vehicles!!!

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 Old 09-23-2016, 07:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3 powerchoke View Post
Actually its the complete opposite... its a horrible engine design.. not only do the cams get starved of oil once the seal goes but the cams do NOT have ANY bearings... The cam just rides directly on the cam mains in the head which is floating on a film of oil that has .001" clearance... so when the cams go they also take the heads out with it because there are no bearings to replace, so then the head becomes junk.. HORRIBLE design
I've seen more than a handful of those heads line honed with bearings installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 09-23-2016, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusten View Post
I've seen more than a handful of those heads line honed with bearings installed.
First of all it's called line boring... And secondly I wouldnt trust the design line bored with a bearing because I don't even trust the original design... So once again the motor is one giant POS
post #23 of 29 Old 10-13-2016, 04:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had a 2003 F250 with 5.4 and 6 speed manual. Loved it, got good mileage (about 16 average highway) and worked fine to tow with. One of there best features is they produce a high percentage of peak torque at low RPM. Had a 3.73 rear end so if running at 55 would have to shift down on long or steep hills but seldom had any need to downshift if kept it at 65 mph. Mostly towed a large cargo trailer I used for work, about 9000 pounds and about 11 foot tall, kind of like towing a sail. Only reason stopped driving it was got a company truck. Friend of mine has a 2004 F250 with about 230k on it with a 6 speed as well. He has replaced his clutch and plugs / coils but that is about it. I'm in the market for a V10 F350 now, can't see driving a 6.2, don't believe I have ever owned a car / truck that had to drive at greater than 4k RPM for more than just a moment. On the 6.2 at 4k is just starting to wake up from what I've read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 Old 10-13-2016, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
5.4 up to 03 was and is a good built motor. Virtually indestructible unless you are an idiot. Once they started the VCT in 04 that when things went downhill. Trying to adjust the timing with a lock/unlock pin that is determined by oil pressure. Hence the diesel sounding 5.4 3V's. About $600 to fix the cam phazers but no, I agree this motor has no place in a F250. My Expedition is a wanna be F150 that can't get out of its own way.
post #25 of 29 Old 12-02-2017, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
New to the 5.4's.... I've had superdutys with 7.3's for over a decade, but just did some trading for a 2000 F250 CCSB lariat 5.4/auto/4x4. Long term, I plan to swap a complete 7.3/6spd drivetrain into it, but will need to daily drive it for now, until I'm ready to do the swap, likely about a year. And, my oldest boy (17yo) has expressed some interest in it as well, maybe I give it to him as-is.

I've read this thread from the start... some of you like the 5.4's, later model ones are not as good, is what I've picked up. My truck has about 240k, new plugs and coil packs by P.O., needs an exhaust and tires, but is in good shape otherwise. I plan to go over it, change fluids/filters, but what else should I be looking for, particular to these motors?
post #26 of 29 Old 12-02-2017, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcrawler View Post
New to the 5.4's.... I've had superdutys with 7.3's for over a decade, but just did some trading for a 2000 F250 CCSB lariat 5.4/auto/4x4. Long term, I plan to swap a complete 7.3/6spd drivetrain into it, but will need to daily drive it for now, until I'm ready to do the swap, likely about a year. And, my oldest boy (17yo) has expressed some interest in it as well, maybe I give it to him as-is.

I've read this thread from the start... some of you like the 5.4's, later model ones are not as good, is what I've picked up. My truck has about 240k, new plugs and coil packs by P.O., needs an exhaust and tires, but is in good shape otherwise. I plan to go over it, change fluids/filters, but what else should I be looking for, particular to these motors?
On a 2v 5.4, nothing. They're stupid reliable.
post #27 of 29 Old 12-05-2017, 11:08 AM
Premium Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
I would pay attention to the timing chains, after a while they can stretch and get a little play in em. I could start to hear mine slap the guides a little so I changed em before it had a chance to jump time (220,000 miles about). Put in new oil and water pumps while I was there. 2002 5.4, it's been a turd in terms of speed but it's never let me down

1999 F250 Supercrew LB
MBRP 4" straight pipe
S&B
PHP Hydra
Edge Insight CTS2
Sweet IH Steering knob (adds at least 1000HP)

"I have never bought anything with money. Everything I have was bought with pieces of time I sold from my life to a job that will never have paid enough when my time is up."

Spem Successus Alit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 29 Old 12-20-2018, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcrawler View Post

Finally got the truck referred to in the above post on the road... rebuilt rear leaf springs, swapped in another used trans, exhaust, 315 tires and fender flares, and been driving it for about a week. Seems to run ok, has a vibration at cruise speeds... need to check u-joints. Need to change the oil soon.
post #29 of 29 Old 12-20-2018, 06:57 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to e99stroker+
WOW...ÖI must have one in a million 5.4. 2004 F150 3V Lariet witth 250K. Cam phazers at 155k, last plugs and coils at 200K. Normal maintenance. Runs very good, negligible noise, no exhaust leaks like some have said. Normal farm truck pulling and hauling farm equipment. tractors, etc. I'm very happy with my 5.4.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

E99 Lariet, 4X2 dually, 02-98, 111K
4" turbo back
Riffraff 6637 intake
Swamps 175/145
Glow Shift not installed yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode