5.4 troubleshooting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Ford Gassers A Place for Diesel nuts to discuss Ford Gasoline powered vehicles!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 01-01-2019, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5.4 troubleshooting

Im new to the 5.4 Triton, having had 7.3s for over 10 years. But due to current circumstances, I need to run this 5.4 in a 2000 F250, ccsb, auto, 4x4, about 234k miles... need to get 6 months to a year out of it, until I finish another truck project, then this one will get a 7.3/6spd swap.

Budget is tight, Im putting as little money into this as possible, but need it to get me to work this winter, so it needs to be reliable enough.

The issue is this: Its loosing coolant. Doesnt seem to overheat, but after driving home from work, it seems to have puked out the coolant reservoir cap, and after cooling down, is low. The heater doesnt warm up great, but does warm up, if you are running highway speeds, but goes cool if let sit and idle. Ive replaced the thermostat, seems to be oil in the coolant. Hate to think it has a blown head gasket, it runs too good, no white smoke out the exhaust, no water in the oil. When at idle, gentle rev of the motor (up to 1500-2000 rpm) produces 'gurgling' sound coming from heater core area.

As I hope its not the head gasket(s), and I've heard of both the oil cooler failing, putting oil in the coolant, and also heard of water pump fins/vanes wearing off and not pumping properly, could give the lack of water flow needed, and gurgle when rev'd... open to ideas and thoughts.

I plan to pull oil cooler lines, to see if oil comes out the coolant ports, which would rule that out.

Does the water pump use an o-ring that is reusable? I could pull it to check fins.

Last edited by dieselcrawler; 01-01-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-05-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Having driven the truck to work the past 3 days, topping off the coolant with water, its always low after driving 27 miles to work. Never gets overheated hot, barely warm, judging by the heater output.

Also noticed this... open coolant cap when cold, top it off, close cap, start truck and run for a few minutes and shut down, open cap, coolant reservoir will be far more pressurized than expected. Do the same thing, only dont put the cap on, and coolant gets pushed out quite quickly. Could exhaust be pressurizing the coolant system somehow?

No water in oil, fresh oil change recently, looks clean, and no loss/gain of oil level.

Cracked head seems likely to me, as a blown head gasket that could let compression push pressure into the coolant would also allow coolant into the cylinder when not running and contaminate the oil, and/or coolant would be burned when running as well as ruff running/miss from the affected cylinder. It runs great, doesn't seem to miss, and the vapor from the exhaust doesnt seem excessive, or much more than most other vehicles running in cold weather.

Frustrated to the point of dumping water to it, run it til it blows up... 'growl'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode