460 too a 350 is this feesible? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Ford Gassers A Place for Diesel nuts to discuss Ford Gasoline powered vehicles!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 09-02-2018, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
460 too a 350 is this feesible?

I have a 96 f250 with a 460 engine in it. But I'm wanting to put a smaller 350 engine in it so it's more feesible for work as in the gas consumption. Is this heard of and can be done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-02-2018, 05:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I assume you're talking about the 351? The 350 is a GM engine. I suppose you can do it but you won't get the improvement you're hoping for. I've had trucks with both engines over the years and found they were quite close. The two trucks I owned with manual transmissions (1 with a 460 and 1 with a 351) were slightly better on fuel than the auto. When empty the 351 (may) have gotten 1 to 2 MPGs better than the 460 but I don't think it was ever better than that. When towing they were nearly identical because the 351 had to work so much harder.

What kind of fuel economy are you getting now? I think your money would be much better spent going through your engine and drivetrain to make sure everything is in excellent working order. Spend the rest on gas.

2007 F-350 4X4 CCSB, 6.0 PSD, ZF6 Manual Trans, 3.73s, EGR and Cat improvement, Edge CTS2 with EGT and Fuel, SCT X4, PHP FICM Programmer, Sinister Adjustable Fuel Press. Cover, Ficmrepair.com batt/alt wiring upgrade, Bosch 140 amp alternator with overdrive pulley, Rotella ELC, High-Idle mod, Mishimoto coolant filter, 6.4 starter, Genex mirror w/temp and compass, Magnum RT steps, Leer 100R Shell, Custom front bumper replacement, Steelcraft Elevation rear bumper, B&W turnover ball, 4" Cat Back exhaust, JVC head unit with backup camera, '08+ towing mirrors and rear diff. cover, etc.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-02-2018, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

It's like 10mpg or less I think. Mine is also a auto. What else is there to do to improve fuel economy on one. It probably doesn't help that the ole girl has 230k on her
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-02-2018, 07:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If i remember correctly the 4.9L I6 (300) the 5.0L (302), 5.8 (351W) and 7.5L (460) were all options in back in '96. So the short answer is yes its feasible. Now sourcing all the parts 22 years later may be more of an issue. By the time you spend all the time and effort to do the swap the gains may not offset what you put into the transition.

I had a '95 F150 regular cab short box with a 5 spd back in the late '90's early '00s and I seem to recall that fuel milage was around 12 in town and low teen's on the highway. I also thought it towed better then any of the other V8 options the F150 had at the time (the 460 was only available by that point in the F250 and larger trucks).
post #5 of 5 Old 09-02-2018, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

It's only going to be a work truck around town and it won't be pulling a trailer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode