Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Super Duty gas engine longevity?

10K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  00t444e 
#1 ·
What is a realistic life expectancy for some of the newer (2008 and up) Super Duty gas engines? After having owned a 7.3L with nearly 200K on it when I sold it and its still going six years later, I'm sold on diesel reliability and longevity, but how long does say, a 5.4L V8 last? I've seen more than a few nice gas Super Dutys that would fit my needs just fine, but they all have just over 100K on them. I really can't shake the idea that a gas V8 is done after 100K miles, but then again, most of my experience with gas V8s is with small block Chevys. On the other hand, I'm not going to put a lot of miles or really hard use on this truck-its primarily going to be a weekend vehicle.

#2 · (Edited)
I'm going to weigh in here based on a couple of things. I am looking for a truck for my son and I have owned and worked in a couple of gas trucks. I owned a 5.4 powered F150 Supercrew. It was a 2001 model, 4x4 Lariat. I kept it until it had right at 160k miles on it. The only thing I ever had to do was put a fuel pump and a coil pack on it. The only reason I sold it was that my boat kind of beat on it when pulling it. That and the fact it did not have the power that the 5.4 was given with the 2004 model. (300hp compared to my 235hp).

I worked in a F250 that had the 6.2 gas in it. That engine is a beast in it's own right. Great torque and power, and was a viable option in that truck. Drove it until it had over 100k on it and got swapped into a 5.0 powered F150. The F250 is still in use with the company and pulls a trailer daily for use by a dig crew.

What I am looking for is like a 2004-2007 F150 4x4 for my son. Either that or a Hemi powered Ram. 2003 or newer. He has a budget to stay in as well, and I am looking for something with less than 90k miles on it. Would love to find one with less than 80k. I am just not familiar with the long term expectancy of either as well...

Having said that I'd love to see the input from others as well. Thanks for starting this thread!

#4 ·
From my experience, the best 5.4 motors are from 2000-2003.
My brother had an '01 super duty with 5.4 (service vehicle) that had 430k on the motor when he sold it.
My wifes '03 f150 lariat had 230k when we sold it this year.
I currently have a '01 e150 (service vehicle) with 175k still going strong.

As with anything mechanical you need to do the maintenance

Reactions: midnightrider79
#5 ·
Nothing wrong with most of today's gas engines, they just won't pull the heavier loads as well as a diesel. If you don't require the additional power from a diesel, go with a gasser. I currently have over 200k miles on a 6.2 without any engine repair and like Justicedealt1 said, it is truly a beast for both power and punishment. The same can be said with many of the older gas engines for that matter.

#6 ·
If your buying a vehicle for a teenager, it's better to look at crash safety than motor longevity. A young man can take a motor designed for 1/2 million miles and destroy it in 40k. More likely than not (statistically) hell wreck the truck before it needs a set of tires. It's the nature of the beast (or boys).

#7 ·
A 5.4 V8 is a good engine but way underpowered for a Superduty, get one with the V10 or a 2011+ with the 6.2 V8.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.