All things PEW PEW chatter - Page 96 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Firearms Discussion Discussion of all types of firearms.

1514Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #951 of 1763 Old 06-21-2017, 09:16 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ford View Post
Alrighty you AR guys, need some advice here. I'm looking to build another gun for my truck gun. My current truck gun is a Norinco SKS with too many mods to list (see pic), however I have a couple issues with it. First and foremost it weighs 11.75 lbs as pictures. Not only that but it's extremely tall so it takes up a lot of space, and it's not exactly the funnest gun to shoot prone. Lastly I put a G5 mag adapter in so it can take 30 rd mags however that means I have to cut the duckbill off the SKS mags and form a new lug (no problem), but they aren't too easy to put in the gun. Obviously if I have to reload I'm more focused on getting out of what ever situation I'm in but taking 5 seconds to re load isn't ideal.

I'm more of a Kalashnikov guy, I usually stay with my AK variants but I traded my old .338 WIN for a S&W MP15 and I think I'm going to the dark side. I know this isn't the best gun out their (not the worst either), but I like the idea of an AR beings that mags are easy to swap, they are light, and I can separate the upper from the lower for easier storage. With that said I think my next build is going to be an AR, I'll have to sell the SKS to finance the AR but it is what it is.

Do you think a S&W MP15 is worth building or should I start out with a different platform? Keep in mind this doesn't have those cool AR features like a dust cover or forward assist. Ideally I'd sell this and buy an AR-10 because I'm a .30 cal butthurt but that would be my main interest. That said I have no problem building a 5.56 as ammo is a lot cheaper lol.

Depending on your state laws, AR pistol version might be better for your needs. Shorter, lighter. The AR15 platform comes in over 65 different calibers. If your already stocked up on a certain caliber, build for that caliber.

Even consider AK pistol style, can even add a brace.

2004 F350 CC DRW King Ranch
X-3 tunes by DJ'S,QT,GH,ID. Gryphon FICM tunes, ARP studs,Stage 1turbo,ATS coolant recirc lines,Swamp's 48v ficm,coolant filter,AD2,Snow Perf stage II,EGR delete,4" turbo back straight pipe,S&Bintake,Quad "A" pillar autometer gauges,Suncoast Tri Disk Conv.,Billet input shaft,Suncoast superduty rebuild kit,Trans-go shift kit,Mag-Hytec trans pan,CFM+ elbow,ccv mod,15K reese 5er,17" LCD TV/DVD,Cobra 29 Nitewatch CB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #952 of 1763 Old 06-21-2017, 09:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unfortunately I'm not 21 yet which is why I only cut the barrel on the SKS to 16" instead of 14"

2005 F-350 Lariat, studded, Sinister diesel EGR delete, Sinister diesel coolant filter, MBRP 4" straight pipe, Banks ram air intake, SCT X4 tuner, blue spring, EGT sensor, fuel pressure sensor, 4" lift, 08 style mirrors, 35x12.5R20 Toyo RT

SOLD:
2006 Ford F-250 King Ranch FX4 crew cab short bed
4" flood lights for back up lights, High idle switch, 2008-16 tail lights, 2011-16 style 6.0 Powerstroke badging, Edge Insight CTS2, Blue spring mod, Viofo A119 dash cam, 275/70R18 BFG KO2, 2017 style mirrors, 2.5" lift coils, F-350 blocks in the rear, Riffraff CAC boots, Backup camera with spot lights in the rear, SCT X4 tuner, Fab Fours black steel series bumper with pre-runner guard, Mishimoto coolant filter, 4" Diamond eye turbo back straight pipe exhaust, 18x8.5 American Eagle Alloy Hardrock series 0168, 7.3L Fan clutch (Hayden 2835), Spyder LED tube projector headlights

2011 F-350 King Ranch FX4 crew cab long bed 325/65R18 BFG KO2, 18x8.5 American Eagle Alloy Hardrock series 0168, Steelcraft Elevation Bullnose Front Bumper, 20" front light bar, MBRP 4" DPF delete competition pipe, SCT GTX tuner with Tyrant tunes, Rough Country 1.5" leveling kit, Auxbeam LED headlights and fog lights, platinum style grill, black mirror lights
post #953 of 1763 Old 06-21-2017, 10:01 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Garage
Lol is that a beer in the cup holder...

Alright guys... had an incident with a guy who has serious road rage. Same dude twice now in two weeks... I can't carry at work because it's a liberal state government so what's the thoughts on a nice like ruger Lcp type pistol in either 9mm or 380.... for carrying with slacks and tucked in shirts? I had to swing by the local sheriff office because I normally can't bring my carry unless off work. I can't even have it in the Parking lot. But the dude followed me to a gas station today and did the little gangster slow drive by while mean mugging me.... if I was still in Idaho I would of drug that dudes car down the street but I'm stuck in communistfornia for bit more so I've had to play it cool and just call the cops but I'm not playing anymore...

Anyone with experience with smaller carry type? Just looking for advice. I feel a small ruger or other quality brand similar to the lcp would be amazing and still a 9mm/380 would be better then nothing.

I normally don't take the same route to/from work and home but there is only so many routes between A - B but the sheriff without telling me if my work doesn't have metal detectors as long as I'm not caught lol.

Ugh sorry, kind of a rant/vent but I've always played by the rules and this guy lives in my area and the plates
Don't match his small Honda car, they're from a GMC Yukon 8hrs south. So either dispatch recorded wrong or this dude is driving around with mixed plates.
SparkyF250 and Beerbait like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #954 of 1763 Old 06-22-2017, 01:03 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
Lol is that a beer in the cup holder...

Alright guys... had an incident with a guy who has serious road rage. Same dude twice now in two weeks... I can't carry at work because it's a liberal state government so what's the thoughts on a nice like ruger Lcp type pistol in either 9mm or 380.... for carrying with slacks and tucked in shirts? I had to swing by the local sheriff office because I normally can't bring my carry unless off work. I can't even have it in the Parking lot. But the dude followed me to a gas station today and did the little gangster slow drive by while mean mugging me.... if I was still in Idaho I would of drug that dudes car down the street but I'm stuck in communistfornia for bit more so I've had to play it cool and just call the cops but I'm not playing anymore...

Anyone with experience with smaller carry type? Just looking for advice. I feel a small ruger or other quality brand similar to the lcp would be amazing and still a 9mm/380 would be better then nothing.

I normally don't take the same route to/from work and home but there is only so many routes between A - B but the sheriff without telling me if my work doesn't have metal detectors as long as I'm not caught lol.

Ugh sorry, kind of a rant/vent but I've always played by the rules and this guy lives in my area and the plates
Don't match his small Honda car, they're from a GMC Yukon 8hrs south. So either dispatch recorded wrong or this dude is driving around with mixed plates.
I carry the Springfield Armory XDS-45, but have also shot the XDS-9. I like the XDS because it's easy to conceal. Felt recoil was much less on the 9mm.

Also shot the S&W Bodyguard 380, real small and light which made the felt recoil more than the XDS-9. My wife carries the S&W Bodyguard .38spl, conceals really well, even with a pocket holster.

Best advise would be go to a local range that lets you rent handguns to shoot. Try several brands, caliber and styles. Find one that fits and feels good in the hands.

X-3 tunes by DJ'S,QT,GH,ID. Gryphon FICM tunes, ARP studs,Stage 1turbo,ATS coolant recirc lines,Swamp's 48v ficm,coolant filter,AD2,Snow Perf stage II,EGR delete,4" turbo back straight pipe,S&Bintake,Quad "A" pillar autometer gauges,Suncoast Tri Disk Conv.,Billet input shaft,Suncoast superduty rebuild kit,Trans-go shift kit,Mag-Hytec trans pan,CFM+ elbow,ccv mod,15K reese 5er,17" LCD TV/DVD,Cobra 29 Nitewatch CB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lilpooh For This Useful Post:
JustinOOO9 (06-22-2017)
post #955 of 1763 Old 06-22-2017, 01:12 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Unfortunately I'm not 21 yet which is why I only cut the barrel on the SKS to 16" instead of 14"
You would only be legal to cut below 16" if you SBR the rifle, so it's good that you only cut down to 16".

Looks like your stuck going with a 16" barrel until you turn 21, if your going to be 21 soon, just wait. After 21, you'll have more options.

I love my AR in 9mm pistol, 8.5" barrel makes it light and easier to maneuver.

With my CCW in my state of PA, I'm legal to carry the AR9 pistol loaded in a vehicle, loaded rifles in a vehicle is a no-no. Plus a pistol version allows me to cross into other states that honor PA CCW while loaded.
SparkyF250 likes this.

post #956 of 1763 Old 06-22-2017, 05:48 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,047 Times in 938 Posts
Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 1587 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
... what's the thoughts on a nice like ruger Lcp type pistol in either 9mm or 380.... for carrying with slacks and tucked in shirts? ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
... Best advise would be go to a local range that lets you rent handguns to shoot. Try several brands, caliber and styles. Find one that fits and feels good in the hands.
I carry an LCP most of the time. I get that it doesn't have the stopping power of a 9mm or something larger but - seriously - I could put it in my sock. The carry weapon that you don't have with you does you no good. Larger frames tend to migrate to the center console for me. It's my issue. I get that. That LCP can stay on me all of the time without notice - even in my back pocket while driving. Problem solved.

The range rec is the best advice. In particular, some people don't like the long pull of the LCP (it is the only safety that it's got). It doesn't bother me, but I'd rec trying it out just for that reason.

Last... it seems like a lot of folks get a laser on them. I never quite got that one. It's a .380, so the typical working range is arms length to car width. I got a strobe. Less common - more useful (IMHO).

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djmaguire For This Useful Post:
JustinOOO9 (06-22-2017)
post #957 of 1763 Old 06-22-2017, 06:01 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1617 Post(s)
Quote:
Not too worried about those features as it saves a little weight, all I'm worried about is over all quality. Would this be a decent gun to build or should I look at a different platform? I've also been toying with the idea of buying a Daniel Defense V11 and running as is / making small changes as I find things I don't like.
Doesn't matter....if you build one you'll build another.
Build a cheap one for now (you can build one for $300), then figure out the features you most want and build a good one.
But to answer your question directly, yes the s&w will be fine.
SparkyF250 and Red Ford like this.

03 cclb dually,6.0,arp studs,bpd oil cooler,bpd 6 phase ficm,bpd water pump,bpd all aluminum cac,all aluminum radiator,amsoil bypass oil filter,ipr high flow coolant filter,egr delete,livewire ts tuned by Vivian & tony,php ficm tuner,dc power 300-spx,Detroit trutrac,6" dual side pipes,07 front end,custom front bumper,shaved badges,led button roof lights,08+ mirrors,12 tailgate,13 rear bumper,13 tail lights,dropped I beams,custom rear 4 link w/bags,k5la train horn,24" alcoa's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #958 of 1763 Old 06-22-2017, 08:25 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for the info its all great info. I was hoping for a 9mm for price and bit more stopping power. I carried a berretta 45 overseas and to be honest the 45acp was very effective for some opiod hopped up combatant. I uise the g30 now but its just to bulky for slacks and after this dude on the road twice in two weeks I agree it doesn't help if im not using it so its down to a small pocket carry because its better that then nothing ugh!

I'll keep you updated im praying I have some nice options being in CA. There is a range with hundreds of range rentals about 45 minutes north so I fear I'll be dropping some coin on a over priced rental and their "rental ammo" this weekend....

thanks again for listening to my rant and the very helpful info.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #959 of 1763 Old 06-22-2017, 08:53 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,047 Times in 938 Posts
Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 1587 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
For 9mm, I have a Beretta Nano that isn't so bad in terms of size/weight.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
post #960 of 1763 Old 06-22-2017, 10:12 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1617 Post(s)
You only get two tries, but this thing packs a hell of a wallop.
Put .00 buck in it and it's like 8 9mm's at one time.

03 cclb dually,6.0,arp studs,bpd oil cooler,bpd 6 phase ficm,bpd water pump,bpd all aluminum cac,all aluminum radiator,amsoil bypass oil filter,ipr high flow coolant filter,egr delete,livewire ts tuned by Vivian & tony,php ficm tuner,dc power 300-spx,Detroit trutrac,6" dual side pipes,07 front end,custom front bumper,shaved badges,led button roof lights,08+ mirrors,12 tailgate,13 rear bumper,13 tail lights,dropped I beams,custom rear 4 link w/bags,k5la train horn,24" alcoa's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode