My truck is having a hard time starting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 09-20-2019, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My truck is having a hard time starting

Alright guys, I have a 2001 7.3, and I keep having this problem where I go to turn my truck on, and it’s trying to crank over and doesn’t, and while I turn the key it’s making a clicking noise from beneath the dash. I then go unplug my driver side battery, and then plug it back in, then it fires right up. It will continue to fire up for a few days no problem, then I have to repeat the process. Any ideas why could be wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-21-2019, 06:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Sounds like you're having trouble getting and maintaining enough current to the starter (that "clicking" you hear is relays being effected by Low Power) . Winter is coming, it's gonna take a 100% system to start if you're in the real Cold. Get it fixed now

So this would be about the battery Cables, Connectors, and the Batteries themselves (maybe even the starter solenoid if your '01 has one on the pass side inner well ~ some do / some don't).

The cables can suffer in two ways, the Ends can be corroded and dirty (scrape, clean, grease, and tighten them all - both sides - and the battery terminals too). This is a Free fix so I start there. Next the cables the can be corroded internally, the copper inside gets green and can't pass high current (called a high resistance cable).

Do what you can, if it all looks good but still giving you trouble, have the batteries tested. Charge the batteries back up Fully, then have them Load Tested, Individually, at a High Rate (not those dinky 100A tester the Parts Stores use on 6cly gassers, you need @250/300A load to test ours).

That would be the Best Start to solving this...
post #3 of 4 Old 09-21-2019, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Alright, so I just went out and checked the cables in my terminals. Everything looked A-OK. Last night after I posted this, I went out to start my truck, and it was doing the same thing, but this time after I took my keys out of the ignition, it almost sounded like my turn signal was on, and my cab light was blinking to the sound of it, now it’s 42 degrees where I’m at now, and I just tried to start my truck up this morning, and it started up no problem. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-21-2019, 09:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
So it's kinda "intermittent"?

I would first have a way to monitor your System Voltage (the in-cab "Outlet" /cig ltr/) is a good place. See what you have there, with a meter, as it does & does not do this (an old plug adapter, from a Radar detector or something, makes this easy).

Next, does your '01 have a Trans Temp gage in the Instrument Cluster? (shows if it's new/old electrics as there was a major electrical change during the '01 run. Some are like the 2000's and some like an '02).

There's a common issue with supply voltage in the newer ('02 like) trucks that might be the cause.

Have a look -> https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99...ml#post1343921
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode