Canada The whole thing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 Old 09-12-2008, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOSEWHEEL View Post
... Are you looking for new or used? You can save thousands buying used with very little miles. You know what they say the second you drive it off the lot......
I will buy used if I can ... but I want a Chassis Cab, not a pickup; and they're pretty hard to find in good shape (hard to find at all, to start with; and then the ones you do find tend to be pretty worn down ... )

So I'm not sure
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 Old 10-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpliciter View Post
Thanks, AvroAero ... that's very helpful info.

If I can find the truck I'm looking for in the US for no more than $40-50K, then I am looking at GST+PST of no more than $7K, which is a lot ... but even with the extra (max) $1K for handling, it would be a max of $8K. That is still less than the $10-15K difference in prices between the two countries.

And here's the thing: Presumably I would have to pay GST and PST in Canada, too, if I were to buy it here? So it isn't as if I am paying more taxes ... just the same taxes. So the bottom line is that in the end I would save the entire $10-15K of price differential. That's not too shabby.

I have actually looked at the list of what vehicles can be imported, and the Ford Super Duty is not excluded ... so I'm OK on that front.

That's useful information about the "temp status" from the Texas dealer. Definitely convenient.

One question: did you have to pay sales taxes in Texas, when you bought it? Texas isn't a sales-tax-free state, and that's what I am concerned about: paying both US and Canadian taxes.

Thanks!
Brian

(If I pull this off I'll be sure to track down that Canadian Tire guy.)
Had to pay an ownership transfer tax or something alike. Was ~200 dollars US. I think the local tax is 4% but since I/you are out of state we're exempt. And yea, you pretty much pay the same taxes you'll be paying anyways.

Two things sure of in life, death and taxes. Guess I should get into goverment or contracting.

Late; sry forget about this forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Ford Excursion 6.0
-SCT livewire w/ innovative extreme tunes
-Banks monster exhaust
-Zoodad
-05 conversion w/ harley headlamps & HIDs
-Viper 5900 remotestart/alarm
-ARP studs
-EGR delete
-Defender roof rack with 600W of light
-whelen hideaway strobes
-Sound off Predator dual red-red
-Whelen 500 4 amber 2 blue

Last edited by AvroAero; 10-10-2008 at 03:33 PM.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-19-2008, 10:33 PM

i do believe check the canada importers web page for the list of NOT allowed vehicle but i do believe almost ALL 07's and 08's are NOT ALLOWED for import something to do with the immobization and the seatbelts not being up to canadian standards. it cost me about 700 bucks total for importing my 95 about 3 months ago
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode