Outdoor kitchen problems/repairs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Camping/RV's Discuss camping, RV equipment and locations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-10-2014, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Outdoor kitchen problems/repairs

So, I have a nice 2010 Keystone Hornet with an outdoor kitchen.
The outdoor kitchen is a nice addition, but I'm having some issues with it.
I only owned the camper for a couple of weeks when I noticed the "floor" area of the outdoor kitchen was very soft to the touch. I immediately checked the interior of the camper and I could feel about a 1"x2" spot where it was a little soft. I knew I had to tear this apart quickly to prevent the actual interior floor from rotting and rendering the front door unusable.
I pulled the fridge and counter top off. The swingout arm for the cooktop and then pulled the linoleum out. I then was able to actually put my hand through the floor and pull the wood up with my bare hands in a large portion of that floor. I proceeded to peal back chunks at a time until I got to an area that was too firm to pull out. I then used the jigsaw to pull the rest of that floor out.
I let it stay like that for the remainder of the year as I tried to isolate the leak.
I put some cheapo seal around the door and that appears to have stopped the leaking (it sat through 3 snow stores and 5-10 rain storms like this with no water accumulation). The problems I'm faced with now are the following.

Because I couldn't get all the water out when this first occurred it has caused swelling of the upper cabinets. So the double doors that butt against eachother don't close properly. I need to figure out how to fix this (dehumidifier when the power is back on?)
I also have a problem with mildew in that area (mostly surface mold on the walls and such) I'll just wipe this down with vinegar more than likely.
I have to pull one side panel off and replace the 2x3 under it. Not a big deal.

Now the real issues.
I can salvage my countertops, I'm pretty sure, but if I cannot, where do I obtain one of these?
I would also like to do away with the way this is setup and change it up some. One major issue I have is that the sink doesn't have a drain. It's just a tub. I'd like to correct this, but have no way of doing this, I was thinking about just making it drain straight down onto the ground under the camper.

I was also trying to figure out where to get a new countertop.

I still have to put a new piece of plywood down on the floor area of the kitchen (you don't stand here, it's just the base that everything mounts to), but after putting the floor in I would really like to make it more of a "tub" than anything else. Basically fiberglassing over the whole thing and maybe making a 2" lip on the walls surrounding it. I'm hoping this will prevent a lot of structural damage should it ever leak again.

If I do this do you think I'd need linoleum down there, or do you think paint that matches the interior of that area would suffice?
I want it to look good, but work better as well.

Another problem I'm faced with is the damn lift just broke loose from the wall. So, now the door doesn't stay opened. This appears to be a common issue and when I have the whole door off this spring I'll install a piece of 2x3 or 2x4 there so the screws have something more solid to grab. Right now it's just grabbing onto the cheap wall board used on the interior walls of modern campers..

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome and any sources for camper supplies are welcome as well.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-31-2014, 03:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have a 13 heartland Wilderness with an outside kitchen. I have had problems with mine as well. left front of the kitchen floor was soft and the lineoleum seperated from the counter as well. the door was not installed properly and the main seal didnt seal causing the leak. i was under warranty so the dealed fixed the issues and re hung the door. it still leaks. Being it is such a large door and with all of the movement from trailering it seems it just wont seal correctly. I siliconed everything I thought was letting in water. they replaced the entire cabinet with solid wood and re lamed the counter. If it happens again im going to upgrade to a solid surface material. shouldnt be too expensive given its only 5 linear feet.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-01-2014, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

So my plans to tub it with glass is worth doing it sounds.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-01-2014, 04:31 AM
Slacker

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Most of the Pop-up style campers (which don't have a gray tank) allow their sink to drain out on to the ground. I think your suggestions sound solid. As far as getting a counter top to replace the one you have... They are very expensive from the manufacturer. You might try a counter/cabinet place and got with solid surface or Formica customized to the size and thickness you need. Remember that solid surface is very heavy and quite expensive.

Shawn Carlson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud Navy Vet
2005 F250, CCSB, 6.0 PSD, FX4 (The Sweet Unit-my truck is white)

Engine Mods: Fluidampr, CCV Reroute (Reinstated), 4" MBRP Exhaust, MTW Stage 1 Turbo, Bulletproof 53V FICM, BulletProof EGR Cooler, BulletProof Water Pump, Riff Raff Intercooler Boots, Gogo Diesel Direct Drive Solenoid, BulletProof All-Aluminum Radiator, BulletProof All-Aluminum Intercooler, BulletProof Oil Cooler System w/ Bypass Filter, SCT w/ Custom Tunes (TSD, DJ's, Innovative, Gearhead, QuickTricks)

Exterior Mods: Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Icon Adjustable Trac Bar, Firestone RideRite Air Bags, BDS Dual Steering Stabilizer, Aluminum Finned Differential Cover, Reese 16k Manual Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Icon 2.5" Leveling Kit w/ F-350 rear blocks, 20" BMF Novakanes wrapped in 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers

2008 F350, CCLB, 6.4 PSD (Brad-the wife's truck is black)
Engine Mods: BulletProof EGR Coolers, BulletProof Water Pump, Riff Raff Intercooler Boots, BulletProof Oil Cooler System, H&S MiniMaxx w/ TSC Custom Tunes

Exterior Mods: Icon Shocks, Icon Adjustable Trac Bar, Reese 24k Manual Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Icon 2.5" Leveling Kit, 20" wheels wrapped in 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-01-2014, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Well, for a camper I know you go 2cm instead of 3, so it should be 25-30 per linear foot.
Even my 3cm granite for the house was only 38 per linear installed..

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode