Considering 2016 6.7L F250 CCSB - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Camping/RV's Discuss camping, RV equipment and locations.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By The Evil Twin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-08-2019, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Considering 2016 6.7L F250 CCSB

What do I need to know about the '16 Powerstroke before purchasing for rv towing? Want to purchase this month to prepare for a long trip early August.

New to diesel maintenance and ownership; overwhelmed by the reports and discussions of regen/dpf problems.
My Dad's '99 7.3L is too old and poorly maintained for me to trust towing the rv the distances and environments we are planning. Plus we didn't have to be concerned about DEF/DPF.

Considering '16 Duramax 2500HD, or maybe staying with flexFuel. '16 Sierra is about $7200 less expensive purchase price than F250SD. Seems that biodiesel is a better overall alternative than flexfuel.

It is important to us to burn as cleanly as practical; no soot. So am leaning against EGR and DPF deletes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-09-2019, 03:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
There are sometimes things that come up with modern diesel emissions equipment, Mostly, it is pretty reliable though. Any newer truck is going to have a DPF and DEF injection. You will want to make sure that the DPF looks original so you can be fairly sure that the truck wasn't previously deleted then restored. Stay away from the really deep dish wheels as they are hard on wheel bearings. Other than that, fuel filters, air filter and oil change.
MikeNNRV likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-09-2019, 05:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Considering 2016 6.7L F250 CCSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNNRV View Post
What do I need to know about the '16 Powerstroke before purchasing for rv towing? Want to purchase this month to prepare for a long trip early August.

New to diesel maintenance and ownership; overwhelmed by the reports and discussions of regen/dpf problems.

My Dad's '99 7.3L is too old and poorly maintained for me to trust towing the rv the distances and environments we are planning. Plus we didn't have to be concerned about DEF/DPF.

Considering '16 Duramax 2500HD, or maybe staying with flexFuel. '16 Sierra is about $7200 less expensive purchase price than F250SD. Seems that biodiesel is a better overall alternative than flexfuel.

It is important to us to burn as cleanly as practical; no soot. So am leaning against EGR and DPF deletes.

Make sure to look at the yellow door sticker for the cargo caring capacity. Diesels pull like a freight train but are also much heavier and actually reduce the effective towing capacity. Many people think any 3/4 ton diesel is good to pull just about anything, but are shocked when they find out their CCC is just above an F150 (depending on options).

Read up on pin weight/tongue weight estimates for the trailer you want to buy BEFORE selecting your tow vehicle. I'm happy with my 30' TT, but having blindly purchased an F250 effectively takes me out of considering fifth wheels...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-09-2019, 06:58 AM
BBBRRRRRTTTTT

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
no delete needed for the truck to last.

the CCSB has a tiny gas tank. expect to replace it if you want to go more than a few hundred miles at a time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2016 F-250 Super Crew XLT 6.7L
2007 F-250 Super Cab XL 6.0L (sold)

C-A-P-S CAPS! CAPS! CAPS!
post #5 of 8 Old 07-09-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by swavescatter View Post
Make sure to look at the yellow door sticker for the cargo caring capacity. Diesels pull like a freight train but are also much heavier and actually reduce the effective towing capacity. Many people think any 3/4 ton diesel is good to pull just about anything, but are shocked when they find out their CCC is just above an F150 (depending on options).

Read up on pin weight/tongue weight estimates for the trailer you want to buy BEFORE selecting your tow vehicle. I'm happy with my 30' TT, but having blindly purchased an F250 effectively takes me out of considering fifth wheels...
Thanks for this response.
I think I'm in good shape with this F250. Buying to tow a 29' pull-behind with 8900# GVWR with weight distributing hitch and no plans for a fifth wheel. Studied the 2016 Ford RV Towing Guide and had the GM of the dealership go through all the options and packages on this VIN. Please check my math below.
Towing capacity confirmed at 14000# with max tongue weight 1400 and GCVWR of 23500. Published curb weight at 6942 and GVWR of 10000; need to confirm.
Published payload is 3058 ( 10000-6942) and I see no reason this is reduced based on the GCVWR math. 3058-750 (4 adults)- 890 (tongue weight) = 1418 theoretical CCC. Almost all of our stuff will be in the trailer so included in the 8900 tow weight.
Plan to confirm all of this at a scale, and measure axle weights, before hitting the road, but hope I've not missed anything.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-09-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokeshellback View Post
no delete needed for the truck to last.

the CCSB has a tiny gas tank. expect to replace it if you want to go more than a few hundred miles at a time.
Do you suggest buying from Ford dealer or an aftermarket?
Based on my earlier math I should have some room to add the weight of extra fuel.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-09-2019, 11:17 AM
BBBRRRRRTTTTT

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
i dont think ford sells tanks.

gonna be aftermarket. transfer flow and titan tanks are the main ones.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2016 F-250 Super Crew XLT 6.7L
2007 F-250 Super Cab XL 6.0L (sold)

C-A-P-S CAPS! CAPS! CAPS!
The Following User Says Thank You to powerstrokeshellback For This Useful Post:
MikeNNRV (07-09-2019)
post #8 of 8 Old 07-09-2019, 04:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
You'll be good on your travel trailer with that payload and a good WD hitch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode