Onboard Air system - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Camping/RV's Discuss camping, RV equipment and locations.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Got Dirt?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-12-2019, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Onboard Air system

Hello,
Anyone running a onboard air system? If so what do you do with it?

I'm looking to install a Vixen 5 gallon Dual compressor 200psi. Here is what I want to achieve from the system, We just purchased a 5th wheel so, downtime is not what I want.

Here is what I want from the system, Add air to tires (i know it can do it) run a bottle jack for changing tires, Also run an impact wrench for the lung nuts.

What are your thoughts total price installed is a grand or is it a waste of money

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-12-2019, 08:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt211 View Post
Hello,
Anyone running a onboard air system? If so what do you do with it?

I'm looking to install a Vixen 5 gallon Dual compressor 200psi. Here is what I want to achieve from the system, We just purchased a 5th wheel so, downtime is not what I want.

Here is what I want from the system, Add air to tires (i know it can do it) run a bottle jack for changing tires, Also run an impact wrench for the lung nuts.

What are your thoughts total price installed is a grand or is it a waste of money
I just installed a viair constant duty with the 2.5gal tank last weekend, works great, I have its set up with 2 ports to choose from one on the back and one near the passenger door I use it for filling up my air bags after hooking up to our 5th wheel toy hauler and adjusting tires and adding psi to tires on quads or dirt bikes while were out riding, I paid $275 for the kit and installed it myself its of YouTube videos on it took 3hrs to do it all and wire it once I had all the parts and pieces

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 F350 CCLB Lariat/ EZ Lynk Tyrant tuned/deleted/15+turbo swap/No limit stage 2 intake/H&S silicone CAC pipe/5 exhaust/2.5 BDS Leveling kit on 35s/Fox shocks/20 XD grenades
post #3 of 8 Old 04-12-2019, 08:58 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
My compressor puts out 6.16 cu ft / min, so should fill the tires quickly but doesn't. I take my 32" tires from 65 PSI road to 25 PSI 4WD on some trails, and it takes me 30 real minutes from start to finish to put air back in the tires when I'm done. Only thing I can think is the valve stem limits how much air goes in the tire, so if that's true, it doesn't matter how strong your air compressor is or how big the reservoir tank is, the tires will take forever to fill because of that valve. Also, when I take the air out, I remove the valve stems, and it takes about 7 real minutes start to finish to empty the air. If I left the valve stems in, it would probably take me 30 minutes.

For filling the RV tires, or topping off the tires on the three vehicle have the 6.16 Cu ft / min twin ARB 12 V compressor is more than enough for that.

I would like to hear from some others. I can't be the only one putting 40 PSI in the tires to return them to road worthy after being off road. I've also been told, the only way to get that tire inflated as quick as I want it would be a CO2 tank.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:

Good 6.0 Reading:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-12-2019, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Garage
I've been using a Powertank for the last 13 years and it has always been very dependable. If you never seen one here's one of the many videos on the web.

ChrisSki likes this.

"Life is a Garden - Dig It!!!" ~ Joe Dirt
"Rub Some Dirt On It!!!"
"God Made Dirt, Dirt Don't Hurt!!!"

2006 Super Duty F-250 Lariat CCSB: Edge CTS Insight - BPD FICM - Sinister Diesel Coolant Filter - ProComp 20" wheels - Toyo M/T 35's - ReadyLift w/ Bilstein 5100's - 4" MagnaFlow Exhaust
post #5 of 8 Old 04-14-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Nobody is mentioning about running air tools (changing tires and a bottle jack) is this to much for a system

post #6 of 8 Old 04-14-2019, 01:06 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have the Viair constant duty 2.5 gallon. I've used it with harbor freight 20 ton bottle jack. It will do it, but is inadequate. I've not tried air tools. While I love the compressor and tank for tires and adjusting air bag suspension, I don't think the size I have produces enough CFM for the jack or anything but the smallest air tool.

2009 6.4L CCSB Lariat
Gearbox Z DPRF
Bypass coolant filter
post #7 of 8 Old 04-14-2019, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Garage
I have an 8 gallon tank with 2 viair compressors running my train horn, air bags, blows out water lines on my 5er airs up tires on truck and trailer, used it for hydraulic jack, and if needed I can run a impact gun. I have around 1000 in my setup but I am happy with it and will always have oba on my trucks for now on.

03 250 ccsb blue spring, UCF ported and polished heads, Odawg SR3, ficm tuner, SCT x4 with custom tunes, 4" turbo back to 6" tip, Magtec diff covers, Amsoil fluids, ARP 625's, Airlift bags, Kc stage 1, Dieselsite hpop, Vision Hauler 19.5's, No Limit intake, full on board air with 8.5 gallon tank, train horns, Sinister degas, DieselSite water pump, Big Wig rear sway bar, 7.3 clutch fan, BPD adapter
post #8 of 8 Old 04-14-2019, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&Rpowerstroke View Post
I have an 8 gallon tank with 2 viair compressors running my train horn, air bags, blows out water lines on my 5er airs up tires on truck and trailer, used it for hydraulic jack, and if needed I can run a impact gun. I have around 1000 in my setup but I am happy with it and will always have oba on my trucks for now on.
sounds like the system i'm looking at, and for the same price.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode