Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/)
-   Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/bio-diesel-alternative-fuels-supplements/)
-   -   SVO Conversion: 1 Year update (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/bio-diesel-alternative-fuels-supplements/130033-svo-conversion-1-year-update.html)

tubular031 02-01-2010 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieC (Post 1683068)
I am going to add a heat exchanger. FPHE is the standard, but I've also seen the Arctic Fox linehauler mentioned a few times. Does anyone have experience with these? Also, can I mount a linehauler or FPHE to my firewall in the engine compartment? I would much prefer to mount there rather than on the framewall for better efficiency.

I dont think Bruce is on this forum. Get on frybrid or wvodesigns and look up a guy named brucem. he is using a linehauler in his conversion. Or at least he was. Smart dude and will give you tons of info about that.

vegginpsd 02-01-2010 01:46 PM

Im lost.

Why tap into the stock fuel lines when you have two perfectly good points of entry unused? Is it because of the stock fuel pump? Sounds like way too much work.

Get rid of the stock pump entirely. Use a SD pump for D2. Use the raptor for VO.
Check valves in line on each side. Done.:nod:

CharlieC 02-01-2010 01:51 PM

Sorry, I must not be communicating clearly. I would like to use the stock lines from the heads back to where they connect to the stock pump because of the difficulty in fabricating new lines.

Yes, I want to ditch the mechanical pump and stock fuel bowl completely.

Just trying to figure out how to go from one 3/8" rubber fuel line to the two metal lines that feed the heads.

vegginpsd 02-01-2010 02:09 PM

If the OBS fuel lines are the same thread as a SD, I can look and check for you. If so use the hard lines for D2.

The whole OBS fuel pump/bowl/filter is just goofy. Get rid of it all Put in a SD bowl, stock regulator and pump. Use the factory steel lines to the heads. Use factory hard line for D2 return and plumb with hose to the SD regulator on the SD fuel bowl.

Create a seperate fuel circuit for VO. Use the Raptor pump and regulator for VO. Enter the fuel into the heads in the service ports. Purge time ZERO.

It really would not be that difficult in the OBS. There is PLENTY of room do whatever you need to do in there. I like the space in the OBS.

Just my :twocents:

CharlieC 02-01-2010 03:39 PM

Ahhhh.. vegginpsd, you just had to open a whole new can of worms, eh? :)

Well, since you did, I'll start barraging you with questions. Your idea is, of course, brilliant. I checked out tubular's page with his install because I think that is what he did. I suppose it's a bit different on my OBS than his '01, but I get the picture.

So, I currently use a 6 way switching valve. In the setup you suggest, that would go. I get the check valves part, but how would I manage the return? What I do right now is loop the return on veg and send it back to the d2 tank on d2. Return to veg isn't an option for me (welded that shut on the underbelly tank). I assume the engine just has one return outlet (not a second "service" one to tap into)?

So, would I need to take out the 6 way and put in different solenoids that loop the return while on veg and send it back to the tank on d2?

Thanks for the pump suggestion. A thought: fi the pump is $115.00 or so and a regulator is 100 -150, why not just buy another raptor or a fass with a built in regulator? Seems like about the same about of $$ for a better pump.

Man, it's remarkable how quickly these projects expand. :tard:

vegginpsd 02-01-2010 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieC (Post 1683711)
Ahhhh.. vegginpsd, you just had to open a whole new can of worms, eh? :)

Well, since you did, I'll start barraging you with questions. Your idea is, of course, brilliant. I checked out tubular's page with his install because I think that is what he did. I suppose it's a bit different on my OBS than his '01, but I get the picture.

So, I currently use a 6 way switching valve. In the setup you suggest, that would go. I get the check valves part, but how would I manage the return? What I do right now is loop the return on veg and send it back to the d2 tank on d2. Return to veg isn't an option for me (welded that shut on the underbelly tank). I assume the engine just has one return outlet (not a second "service" one to tap into)?Get rid of the valves. The raptor has a built in regulator. Set it to 65. The SD fuel bowl has its regulator built in. Return the D2 if needed to the fuel line PRE_PUMP.

So, would I need to take out the 6 way and put in different solenoids that loop the return while on veg and send it back to the tank on d2? No valves needed. Fuel sustem dead headed in heads.

Thanks for the pump suggestion. A thought: fi the pump is $115.00 or so and a regulator is 100 -150, why not just buy another raptor or a fass with a built in regulator? Seems like about the same about of $$ for a better pump. THe raptor has a regulator.

Man, it's remarkable how quickly these projects expand. :tard:

Actually I am greatly more simple.

ridiculously_necessary 02-02-2010 01:31 PM

if i am understanding you correctly (Charlie)...

you dont need to worry about a return. the D2 will feed into teh abck of the heads, and the vo will feed into the front via the service ports. (jsut anohter fuel port currently blocked). no returns at all. thats what Mike is getting at i believe. this is referred to as a dead headed system. stock our OBS's have a return, after this they wont. keep your 6 port and just block off the return port.

does that clear anything up or am i misunderstanding what your saying?

BruceM 02-04-2010 06:37 PM

if you end up making some changes to your setup and go to check valve based switching a Raptor will prolly not keep up with the truck's demand for fuel when you put the pedal down, well on VO anyway.

I found this out too late after I bought a Raptor 150 and had it sitting around my house for 8 months before actually getting around to using it. Lesson learned, cause it barley made 35psi on 70F VO with a ball valve simulating 20GPH of flow. Even with the valve closed it wouldn't make more than 40PSI. Hence why I have one for sale in the part section here.

Check valves are easy to setup and do, and it would eliminate your 6-way valve, running VO in your stock filter bowl, prolly a ton of hoses, and would give you purge times of around 10-12 seconds to flush out the heads.

CharlieC 02-05-2010 05:46 AM

Thanks for the feedback, Bruce. I think what I'm going to do is run the raptor on the diesel side and get a FASS 23A to run on the veggie side. I'm not totally sure if my Raptor is the same one's sold other places. I have the one offered by Goldenfuel (0-60 psi), which Pureflow claims is designed around veg oil. Either way, I figure I need something rated for at least 75 in order to get it to actually deliver 65ish on veg.

This way, I only have to buy one more pump and I don't have to include an FPR, which will keep costs down a bit (though this is getting expensive quickly).

ridiculously_necessary 02-05-2010 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieC (Post 1692609)

This way, I only have to buy one more pump and I don't have to include an FPR, which will keep costs down a bit (though this is getting expensive quickly).

i found that out as well. when i found that i needed a FASS it doubeled the cost of my DIY. but at least i can take comfort in that.

you can probably sell your mech pump for a few bucks used, as well as your bowl. iirc, they go for over $200 new. the FPR alone on the thing is over $100 i believe.