International DT466 - Page 3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Big Rigs Over the road truckin' talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 Old 12-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ok guys, found this thread looking for advice on my DT 466 that I have in a '91 International 2554 single axle dump. This motor is new to me as of two years ago, so I haven't much experience trouble shooting it. Her is what happened. From a dead stop, went into reverse. It bogged and I pushed in the clutch. Smoke came from the air filter housing (new filter a week ago). Lost power to hydraulic plow controls, power steering, ect., and no oil pressure on the guage, truck was still running. First gear was now where reverse was, and reverse was where 1st was. Limped it back to the shop, couldn't see any fluids leaking anywhere. Turned the truck off, then restarted it, everything was back to normal. Air filter full of fuel/oil, and black in color. Strong presence of fuel in oil, (also changed filters and oil one week ago). Did the motor actually die and pop start itself in reverse? Did I have an injector stick open? Did the injector pump get out of time somehow? Where would you start? Thanks in advance for any replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 Old 02-11-2011, 02:40 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
yes almost all diesel can run in reverse. lug them down too abruptly when letting out the clutch and they can flip backward. the problem is now your oil pump is sucking the oil out of all the bearings. run it like that for more than a couple seconds, and plan on rebuilding the engine in your near future

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2005 F350 srw Crewcab lariat. 6.0 diesel
post #23 of 26 Old 02-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Runnin'wita2cylhandycap

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Most of the time, if the fuel pump is gear driven it will run out of fuel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The only "Tuner" in my truck, must have fell out of the wifes Tunerfish Sandwitch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 26 Old 02-12-2011, 03:59 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
funny that, a mechanical 425 cat will run fine in reverse. i shut it down as soon as it clicked why the low oil pressure buzzer went off. run time 10-15 seconds

2005 F350 srw Crewcab lariat. 6.0 diesel
post #25 of 26 Old 02-12-2011, 07:41 AM
Runnin'wita2cylhandycap

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is why I never post in tech section,...It's my camunikashin skilz LOL

Let me add the word "Charge" into my statement.

Any fuel system that uses a gear driven, gear or vain style charge pump to supply the injection pump will suck fuel the opposite direction just as the oil pump will.

If the fuel system has a plunger style charge pump, pumping into the injection pump then the fuel supply is not interrupted.

I hear people say a old Detroit will run backwards all day but they can't. The low pressure fuel charge gear pump will simply move the fuel back to the tank.

Plunger style, injection pump in general are the worlds worst about running bass-ackwords

Older rotary style injection pumps that have a gear or vain style charge pump inside will not run backwards,...on fuel anyways

The only "Tuner" in my truck, must have fell out of the wifes Tunerfish Sandwitch.

Last edited by OneBigDoofus; 02-12-2011 at 08:02 AM.
post #26 of 26 Old 11-16-2015, 01:36 PM
PRs
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2009 DT466 looking at used truck 130,xxx miles. any known issues with engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode