LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 39 Old 07-10-2013, 08:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
CB's help a lot, but if the trucks you were being passed by were livestock, you'll never see those guys pulled over. I use to get passed by triple digit trucks all the time when I drove over the road.
I drove for XCEL Transport out of Grand Rapids from 96-01. We didn't have triple digit trucks by any means but for the east coast we moved pretty good(80+). I was headin east out of Elmira NY one day just doin my thing thinkin I owned the road. When all of the sudden out of no were 2 NASCAR semis called out on the cb saying they were comin up..... I don't know how fast they were goin but they shook my truck when they went by. I wanna say one of the truck was the HOME DEPOT truck. I forget who the other truck was...
I would like to say that I ran the back door for them but to say they left me behind would be a understatement.

BPD OIL COOLER W/COLD WEATHER PACK & BPD oil bypass amsiol filter
BPD WATER PUMP, RADIATOR+ EGR.ARP STUDS
,edge turbo timer
5" TB DIAMOND EYE EXH
ATLAS 40
TITLE IN HAND...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 Old 07-10-2013, 08:57 PM
california deplorable

Mentioned: 432 Post(s)
Quoted: 3139 Post(s)
Being fro Tahoe the thing that drove me bat$#!t was truckers getting through the chain control pulling over and sharing their chains with others who had none I actually had to sleep on the summit in the back of my truck because one of them did that and went off the side and they closed the whole damn road trying to save the guy and haul his rig back up. not something they do much of these days but 20 years ago it was pretty common.
and dont get me started on regular (flat land) drivers in the snow thinking the sierras are nothing more than a playground where rules dont apply and safety is someone else's concern. no personal responsibility what so ever.

I like mead

early 04 f350 6.0 cclb lariat sr
Bulletproof oil &egr, elc, sct x3, edge CTS, afe intake, blue spring, t-500, MTW stage 2, Vivians looney, 305 x55x20 bfg at ko's, 4 inch cat back, 4"BDS fox shocks and steering stabilizer, tri pilar gauge set, coolant filter, riff raff boots, new headliner, 7 inch touch screen w/back up, new carpet, near whole new interior,

FederalOwnershipRespectfullyDeclined

post #13 of 39 Old 07-11-2013, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Funny you mention livestock - some of the fastest were hay and livestock! Makes sense, owner/operator or driver for the farm, doesn't have GPS to tell on him. Those guys seem to really take pride in their trucks and have them all spiffed out, looking pretty bad a$$.
I wish I would have driven truck for a year or two after the army but ended up doing different things and my licence wasn't super clean

Thanks for the replies.

Scott

2000 XLT F-250 7.3 Crew Cab Auto w/Transgo shift kit 193K mi
4" MBRP turbo back exhaust w/muffler
PHP TS chip - 65 tow/80DD/120 race

Stancor relay
Wicked wheel 2 + non EBPV pedestal + bellowed up pipes
Broken-into door lock mod
6637 filter
285/75/16 Hankook ATM's
2" Rough Country add a leafs all around
In the Driveway:
, chipped! (For the wife) SOLD!
1995 Ford Mustang 3.8 (
)
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 gasser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 39 Old 07-11-2013, 07:06 PM
Mod Newbie

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyP5947 View Post
Funny you mention livestock - some of the fastest were hay and livestock! Makes sense, owner/operator or driver for the farm, doesn't have GPS to tell on him. Those guys seem to really take pride in their trucks and have them all spiffed out, looking pretty bad a$$.
I wish I would have driven truck for a year or two after the army but ended up doing different things and my licence wasn't super clean

Thanks for the replies.

Scott
Livestock loses money if it sits. Less weight means less money. That's also a reason you'll see a lot of livestock being hauled at night.
post #15 of 39 Old 07-11-2013, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyP5947 View Post
Oh I know it does, this post isn't about how I was upset about their driving... I'm just wondering how they drive that way and not get pulled over. You would think all those miles, somehow there is going to be a cop.

Scott
I drove for 11 years and its just a crap shoot! Gotta keep the CB on and hope your fellow drivers going the other way give you the heads up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #16 of 39 Old 07-11-2013, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Live stock...as the old joke go's you'd drive fast too if you had that much STANK behind ya!

BPD OIL COOLER W/COLD WEATHER PACK & BPD oil bypass amsiol filter
BPD WATER PUMP, RADIATOR+ EGR.ARP STUDS
,edge turbo timer
5" TB DIAMOND EYE EXH
ATLAS 40
TITLE IN HAND...

post #17 of 39 Old 07-11-2013, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by linehaul View Post
he he .. gotta push the envelope and make a living.
Till you get popped speeding and tailgating in a construction zone, that's a double, serious offense, good bye CDL for 60 days. You don't have to push it by speeding, just keep it around the speed limit and keep going, stopping every hour kills your travel time. I've been out here doing this for 25 years.

You see the ones speeding through construction zones and tailgating,about half of those are governed trucks and those drivers only know how to hold the throttle to the floor, they drive the same way in the truck stops.

I got stopped once rolling too fast into a construction zone, cop gave me a warning, I don't push my luck anymore.

But then again, I get tired of being blown past in construction zones by smaller vehicles that don't care and are more reckless than the trucks.

2006 F-350 4X4 FX4 Tuscany Longhorn , Leer Custom bed cap, RECON lights, Upfitter switches, Whelen Lighting, Hi-Idle Mod.

Instructor at B.R.A.K.E.S (
).

28 years Commercial Driver.

post #18 of 39 Old 07-11-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt View Post
Being fro Tahoe the thing that drove me bat$#!t was truckers getting through the chain control pulling over and sharing their chains with others who had none I actually had to sleep on the summit in the back of my truck because one of them did that and went off the side and they closed the whole damn road trying to save the guy and haul his rig back up. not something they do much of these days but 20 years ago it was pretty common.
and dont get me started on regular (flat land) drivers in the snow thinking the sierras are nothing more than a playground where rules dont apply and safety is someone else's concern. no personal responsibility what so ever.
Don't get me started on what 4 wheelers do to screw up trucks and they drive away while the truck has the problems and gets blamed while some ignorant 4 wheeler runs off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
Livestock loses money if it sits. Less weight means less money. That's also a reason you'll see a lot of livestock being hauled at night.
HEAT is the worst on them, that's why they've already gave livestock haulers an exemption to the 30 min. break rule that the FMCSA, otherwise known as Kangaroo Court, passed into law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnisoj View Post
I drove for XCEL Transport out of Grand Rapids from 96-01. We didn't have triple digit trucks by any means but for the east coast we moved pretty good(80+). I was headin east out of Elmira NY one day just doin my thing thinkin I owned the road. When all of the sudden out of no were 2 NASCAR semis called out on the cb saying they were comin up..... I don't know how fast they were goin but they shook my truck when they went by. I wanna say one of the truck was the HOME DEPOT truck. I forget who the other truck was...
I would like to say that I ran the back door for them but to say they left me behind would be a understatement.
Those guys run a pretty good clip, but they don't run as hard as they used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngaraiderman View Post
I drove for 11 years and its just a crap shoot! Gotta keep the CB on and hope your fellow drivers going the other way give you the heads up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Which doesn't happen much anymore, half either don't have CBs, play with them like they're a karaoke machine or flat don't pay attention as they have their phone stuffed in their ear. (Which is illegal also.)

2006 F-350 4X4 FX4 Tuscany Longhorn , Leer Custom bed cap, RECON lights, Upfitter switches, Whelen Lighting, Hi-Idle Mod.

).

post #19 of 39 Old 08-13-2013, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
star driver is dead on with what he said. i don't drive OTR, i drive a lowboy locally hauling equipment. some of the stuff you see just makes you shake your head, and we as truckers almost always get blamed.

i try to drive as respectfully and safely as i can, especially with the beg heavy stuff i pull alot. yes, there are times when i hit the left lane and stick my foot in it a bit to get past people poking around in the granny lane.

construction zones are one thing that i personally take very seriously. the equipment i haul many times are being dropped in a work zone mere feet from traffic zipping by. nothing makes me madder than people that come flying through a work zone at 60+ when its a 40mph speed limit, and yes, i have had close calls before because people refused to move over a bit and give me room, to the point i've even dove under my trailer while i had it tilted loading/unloading.

Jesse

proud NRA member

SOLD (and missed
)
'97 F-250 5-speed
3in" down pipe into 5" exhaust
diy intake
blullydog 6-pos chip
auto-meter ultra-light boost & egt guages
stage 2's from industrial injection
custom made ladder bars

NEW TRUCK 2001 CUMMINS, 5spd swap, FASS dual filter, 4" TBE, edge juice w/attitude CS

post #20 of 39 Old 08-13-2013, 08:11 PM

The same thing happens to me, these car dealerships will spend millions making a big, fancy dealership but we have to unload on the shoulder or in the turning lane. I had a guy almost hit the car I unloaded at a dealership as he was on his cell phone. Someday, someone's gonna get too close and get a ratchet strap through the windshield.

).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode