• 1 Post By NoRalPh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-24-2020, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Drip from front of engine

Recently I noticed a puddle on the ground at the front passenger side of my 1999 7.3 Powerstroke. There's what seems to be an overflow pipe of some kind dripping. There's two hard lines running down the front of the block on the passenger side. One runs all the way down to the oil pan, the other (where the drip is) extends about 4" and is open at the end. It appears to be clear (water?) but it's hard to tell by smell because the drips run off the front of the dirty engine. What is this?

Well, this is a bit frustrating.... I can't upload the video I took because of this: "Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing."), and I can't add the YOUTUBE link because I only have a post count of 7. GRRRRRRRRR!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-01-24 11_19_00-Movies & TV.png
Views:	18
Size:	822.8 KB
ID:	727491  

Last edited by lotekinc; 01-24-2020 at 08:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-24-2020, 08:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
That tube comes from the Water Drain from the Fuel Filter Housing (open it by sliding the Yellow Lever at the back of the housing). Now, here's what is probably wrong. The O-rings on that valve are leaking. It's an easy fix though

Welcome to guzzle's PSD Fuel Filter Drain Valve Repair Web Page
JustinOOO9 likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-24-2020, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

[quote=NoRalPh;16376915]That tube comes from the Water Drain from the Fuel Filter Housing (open it by sliding the Yellow Lever at the back of the housing). Now, here's what is probably wrong. The O-rings on that valve are leaking. It's an easy fix though

Thanks! Wow, so is it normal to have that much water in the filter housing? I recently changed the fuel filter. I guess that is suspect. I'm wondering if I just didn't close the valve all the way <shrug>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-24-2020, 08:43 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1699 Post(s)
Garage
[quote=lotekinc;16376921]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
That tube comes from the Water Drain from the Fuel Filter Housing (open it by sliding the Yellow Lever at the back of the housing). Now, here's what is probably wrong. The O-rings on that valve are leaking. It's an easy fix though

Thanks! Wow, so is it normal to have that much water in the filter housing? I recently changed the fuel filter. I guess that is suspect. I'm wondering if I just didn't close the valve all the way <shrug>
There is some confusion here. The tube dripping water is from the AC it drips when being used to drain excess water it usually leaves quite a big puddle and can surprise many folks. The other one is the drain tube from the back of the fuel filter housing. There are two different tubes here etc. Its rare to have much if any water in the fuel filter housing so I doubt you have any etc. The o rings on the fuel bowl drain valve are almost always a when not if in terms of dripping. Im betting the valve is already closed all the way but the o rings are failing is all. Takes 10 minutes if you take your time to clean etc. I would also unplug the fuel bowl heater cord on the back just by the drain valve. The fuel bowl heater is pretty much worthless and when it fails it kills power to the ecm causing no start issues etc. Another super common item etc. I see -25 winters and have not had the fuel bowl heater plugged in, in years with zero issues.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #5 of 8 Old 01-24-2020, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

[quote=JustinOOO9;16376923]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotekinc View Post

There is some confusion here. The tube dripping water is from the AC it drips when being used to drain excess water it usually leaves quite a big puddle and can surprise many folks. The other one is the drain tube from the back of the fuel filter housing. There are two different tubes here etc. Its rare to have much if any water in the fuel filter housing so I doubt you have any etc. The o rings on the fuel bowl drain valve are almost always a when not if in terms of dripping. Im betting the valve is already closed all the way but the o rings are failing is all. Takes 10 minutes if you take your time to clean etc. I would also unplug the fuel bowl heater cord on the back just by the drain valve. The fuel bowl heater is pretty much worthless and when it fails it kills power to the ecm causing no start issues etc. Another super common item etc. I see -25 winters and have not had the fuel bowl heater plugged in, in years with zero issues.
So, where is the end of the bowl drain tube? The one dripping is short and ends about 4" from the top of the engine. I can't see where the other tube terminates.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-24-2020, 08:56 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1699 Post(s)
Garage
[quote=lotekinc;16376927]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post

So, where is the end of the bowl drain tube? The one dripping is short and ends about 4" from the top of the engine. I can't see where the other tube terminates.
I can't remember, id have to check my truck when I get home. I say the above though because a puddle of diesel would be way different than water. You mentioned not being able to tell if its water vs diesel. It would be very obvious by feel/quick taste/smell etc. Personally I would fix the fuel drain valve o rings first and then run the truck without the AC to see if the puddle stops etc. Also there is a fuel pressure regulator on the drivers side of the fuel bowl. Mine was leaking something fierce and kept making me try to find the source of leaks in other places because it puddles and ran down the engine. In all honest it took me 3 hrs to reseal the whole fuel bowl and the fuel line rubbers. I didn't have access to my usual set of tools but I was getting a diesel smell when just driving around so wanted to take care of it asap. Both the link the noralph posted and riffraff diesel performance sell great quality o ring kits and you can call either to see what you need exactly. Just my opinions on the fuel bowl of course.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #7 of 8 Old 01-24-2020, 11:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Edit: someone gave my answer already.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #8 of 8 Old 01-24-2020, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Garage
The fuel bowl drain tube is near the front of the engine. You should be able to see it through the front passenger wheel well. The A/C line is closer to the passenger compartment below the condenser unit in the cab.

Reach into the dripping tube and get some of the liquid on your finger or a cloth / paper towel. If it is the FBD tube, it should smell like fuel. As @NoRalPh stated, if the O-rings on the drain valve (yellow handle) are leaking, it won't necessarily be water draining.

Darryl | Owner/Operator
Truck | 2001 F350 7.3L CCLB |

5th Wheel |

Proud US Navy Veteran | '76-'80 -
-
- 'Gator Navy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode