3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 12-05-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2002 7.3 with a 2003 pcm no smoke no start

I'm stumped . . . here we go . . cranks fine.
AE reports as follows
IPR is good at crank 25-30
Injector pressure readings off the chart - jumps to 3000 range and settles to the 2000-2500 range
RPM's show on AE, but no cranks showing on the cluster
Buzz test runs successfully, can hear it spin thru each cylinder
Ran KOEO comes back fine

we have some warped exhaust manifolds so we get some smoke under the hood when it starts - getting a little smoke but very little out of the tail pipe I can smell a little diesel smell, but not like our other trucks when they hard start. very light smoke, have to walk back there b/c i can't see it inside the shop its so faint
manual fuel pressure gauge shows 55psi at a max during wts.

its been in shop for 2 days so its not the cold

really seems like its not getting the fuel. our 5 other 7.3 would billow smoke on a hard start this time of year

Any help or ideas would be appreciated greatly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 12-05-2019, 01:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
I may be wrong and maybe it's because of the newer pcm but if the cluster doesn't show rpm it won't start. I think that means something is wrong in the pcm.

Has it ever shown rpm on the cluster?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #3 of 24 Old 12-05-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I hope somebody else can chime in on this pcm mismatch idea? i just pulled up a thread on google . . people recommend flashing a newer pcm for older truck metrics, but it should start.

it did start previously. i am getting rpm's reading on the computer, just nothing on the dash. getting 80-105 rpm range just a minute ago. batteries down a little
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 12-05-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Maffet View Post
I hope somebody else can chime in on this pcm mismatch idea? i just pulled up a thread on google . . people recommend flashing a newer pcm for older truck metrics, but it should start.

it did start previously. i am getting rpm's reading on the computer, just nothing on the dash. getting 80-105 rpm range just a minute ago. batteries down a little
There is some magic injector value and rpm. I'm thinking 500 for injectors pressure and maybe 300 for rpm. If those numbers aren't there it won't start as the pcm won't start it . I learned that when I had a crank no start on my old truck.

Search for crank no start and you should find it.

Hopefully others who actually know what they are talking about chime in

post #5 of 24 Old 12-05-2019, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 1219 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Jump the glow plug relay with a pair of channel locks and hold for about 20 seconds and then have someone try to start it. Since you have some smoke during cranking, then the injectors are firing.

www.cncfab.us

[SIZE="3"]For all your ford powerstroke needs. If you dont see what you are looking for on the website, please use the contact page and shoot us a message or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Part numbers will help alot too if they are not on our site.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 24 Old 12-05-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Jump the glow plug relay with a pair of channel locks and hold for about 20 seconds and then have someone try to start it. Since you have some smoke during cranking, then the injectors are firing.

www.cncfab.us
Would that matter if it isn't cold?

post #7 of 24 Old 12-05-2019, 03:46 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1679 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Lets take a couple of steps back here...

Why was the truck in the shop for two weeks in the first place?

Why was the ecm swapped out in the first place?

Was the hex code on the old ecm the same as the new ECM i.e. is the ecm from a truck with the same transmission configuration or was your truck a manual and the new ecm for an auto or vice verse?

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #8 of 24 Old 12-05-2019, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
2002 OR '03 isn't supposed to show cranking RPM on the Tach (what RPM are you reading while trying to start? Needs to be over 100)

The PCM's should be the same if the two trucks are similarly equipped (as Justin says, go by the 4-digit Alph/Num # on the sticker but, not actually Hex which is 0-9 plus A-F but should be something like VDH4 in an '01-2-3)

What Voltage are you reading As You Crank?

3K psi, on the starter, isn't right. Not sure what's going on there...

My usual No Start -

WTS Light? - do you get it when you first roll-on the key? (shows the computer is running) You have this if your AE reads sensors

Do you see cranking rpm on the Tach? Do you have a spare CPS to try? You confirm RPM on your AE so, the CPS is doing it's job

Is there fuel in the fuel bowl now? Does it refill after cranking? (open the drain lever to check) Look above the pass ft tire, you'll see a 3/8" metal tube, against the motor that ends there, it's the drain for the bowl (yellow lever you slide to the side). Get a cup, open the lever, drain the fuel bowl, look at the fuel, close the lever. Then, turn the key to the ON position (should hear the pump) for 15 secs. Drain the fuel bowl again, whaddya got?

Can you hear/feel the pump running (below the dr seat, against the framerail)

Could the fuel gauge be giving a bad reading? (Below 1/4 tank?)

Is it cranking fast enough? - it won't even TRY to start if cranking too slowly.

Is your truck "chipped"? If so, remove it as a Test.

You can unplug the ICP sensor, as a Test, so the PCM sets a default value for the IPR to run on (expect this to set a new "Low ICP" code, don't let that misdirect you after a scan).

Did you check the plug and sheet metal nut going to the IPR? That nut can vibrate off and allow the solenoid going over the valve to slide around. The wires going to the IPR can get brittle, crack, and short together. Make sure the plug & wires look in good shape.

Last edited by NoRalPh; 12-05-2019 at 04:42 PM.
post #9 of 24 Old 12-06-2019, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok -we had a few questions. we were experiencing intermittent hard start issues and it seemed to be fuel related - same issue as now. the pcm was damaged b/c somebody shorted the glow plugs at some point to the wrong terminal by accident to the pcm ground. sparked and while the board doesn't appear burned, something obviously is. dating back a 6 mos, we replaced the glow plugs and fuel pump and it ran good once we got it started every day.

we have a bunch of these 7.3's and seems like this is the 3rd regulator that's come up looking ugly. i'm guessing that hasn't helped fuel flow.

the old pcm was a vdh5 and the one i purchased is vdh4. as i read this of the net - the one i started with was off an 03 remanufactured on the label and it appears as though while the guy took this new one out of an 03 model - it actually originated from an 02 (screwy as hell) as far as what the donor truck was running, i do not have that info available. but, it started the truck previously. it has started w this pcm in the truck

i have a 7.3 in back w a dropped valve, so ill rob a known good fuel regulator off it today and check the pressures again, plus get a read on rpms w hot batteries and a 6.0 w two sets of cables hooked up. We jump the glow wires - just put a new relay in it bc it was def bad.

i will pay closer attention to rpms on the computer and cluster to see if we get any movement. ill rob a cps off that other 7.3 as well - it was running fairly decent to be minus one cylinder. sounded like hell, but it idled pretty well.

i guess i could have a cylinder compression loss, but my experience is - one completely dead does little to stop one of these engines and nothing notable happened driving it that would suggest catastrophic failure. we drove it last, parked it and just won't start again.
post #10 of 24 Old 12-06-2019, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i unplugged ICP

the tank is full

these trucks are daily workers - nothing but stock

fuel pump is 5-6 mos old at the oldest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode