Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

00 F250 7.3 starting issues

2K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  greenskeeper 
#1 ·
Ok guys, Need some direction as i'm about to give up on this truck. I have a 2000 F250 7.3 crew cab short bed. I bought it to pull a boat so I was upgrading everything I could to make it a decent Tow rig. My problem is now i'm having issues starting the truck. Seems it takes forever and if it does crank it runs fine or I just kill the batteries. Doesnt matter if its warm or cold outside. I live in NC so the cold hasn't made it here yet.

So far I have:
replaced icp with a brand new one from Ford
replaced o-rings and cleaned ipr
replaced cps, Brand new from ford.
replaced hpop line o-rings, also ford.
replaced injectors from diesel SoCal.
new IDM
Repalced all boots for boost pipes
Rebuilt turbo and changed to wicked wheel
New UVCH.
New Ford glow plugs
upgraded to Stancor relay for Glow plugs
Repalced and upgraded to 2/0 Battery cables.
I did the Hutch mod and removed filter in fuel tank and placed a external filter outside for easy access.
Rebuilt Fuel bowl, Fuel is still present in fuel bowl after it sits

I'm not having leak down on Hpop reservoir eiter. I let it sit overnight and checked the reservoir. I pulled the numbers off the icp and ipr and they where within spec. It seems like the truck takes 10-30 seconds to crank. I cant pinpoint the issue. Even with a fully charged battery( battery charger on all night) it doesn't seem to want to crank. no codes either. I had the truck at the diesel shop in Creedmoor and he basically told me, that's how these trucks are and not to be worried. Last thing I need is to head back to the docks and the truck wont crank. Have I overlooked something?? Any direction is appreciated. Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
WoW,,, looks like you've Thrown every part you could think of at this...

Not a good plan... ;) So, first, whoever said to you "That's the way these trucks are" you should stop talking to. You have something wrong, that's Not the way We start at all!

Next, we need to know what your sensors are telling the PCM and, to do that, you need to have the appropriate tool such as, at least a simple app to run on your phone. You can then monitor your HiPres Oil system (which would be my first suspect) As you're trying to start. What those all important ICP/IPR sensors are reporting.

If you're gonna keep & maintain the truck yourself I strongly suggest you get access to the special scanner software you need to do it.

Here you have a couple of the most common choices;

1) If you want to do Everything you'll ever need to, then look at the AutoEnginuity + the Ford Enhanced Package (@ $350 - you add an old computer of some sort to run it with)

2) To retrieve most of the codes you'll need to help and even do some testing look at the FORscan Lite or TorqueApp (you add an Android device and Blue Tooth Adapter for @ $30) OR the Windoze version with a USB adapter. I like this one for BT Android -> http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-34t5-Bluetooth-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS/

Just a few years ago you needed to buy a professional scan tool because our trucks need to have a scanner with a Library containing both the Ford Proprietary AND the Diesel Specific codes in it. Add to that, our trucks are Not, specifically, OBD-II so the Generic scanners the Auto Parts Stores have are of little use to us. But today there are some very good App based tools, that are close to what the pro tools do, for fraction of the cost.

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/9...n/1044057-ford-superduty-diagnosis-cheap.html

#4 ·
No mention of the engine miles in the OP

A few things to consider:
Low compression
.worn rings
.restricted air filter

Slow cranking RPM
.need 150 RPM
.original starter worn -- upgrade

Low voltage at cranking
.see above , may be dragging
.bad batteries
.bad connections

Fuel pressure
.smoking while cranking?
.need 50 psi minimum

#7 ·
You mentioned that you rebuilt the fuel bowl.

There are some one way check valve springs that will cause a hard long start or no start at all. Consider rechecking the fuel line valve springs. Pressure port should be over 50 psi.

A low pressure HPOP will cause the same issues.

Keep us posted.

#9 ·
I really would like to know how this guy made out...

Reactions: Hydro
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.