99 F250 Transmission Fluid Type 4R100 ? Dex/merc? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 12-01-2019, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
99 F250 Transmission Fluid Type 4R100 ? Dex/merc?

Hey I have a 1999.5 Ford F-250 ,I had my transmission rebuilt and when I put it back together I filled the trans with around 16-18qt of Castrol Transmax Dex/Merc,but recently I had a bottle laying around and I read the back and it stated Do not use in vehicles requiring Mercon V ,now I’ve searched and got all different results but since the 4r100 does require mercon V should I flush my trans and fill with Mercon V Fluid, when we had my trans rebuilt my the builder flushed my converter since it was only a year old and said it should be fine but I do get shift flare going into OD only if I’m half or more throttle and the flare turns into the truck feeling like it’s in neutral if I’m into the throttle hard but grabs once I let off, I only mentioned this because I’m thinking maybe it’s due to the fluid type I used, all the other shifts 1-3 and gears are perfect.the trans also has a BD valve body and truck now has about 25k miles since rebuilt.

Questions are is Castrol transmax dex/merc atf safe for 4r100?
What could cause shift flare in OD only under moderate to heavy acceleration?
Should I flush my fluid and put Mercon v in ?

Mods to truck are Stage 1 injectors,ats turbo housing,wicked wheel 2 ,bd wastegate ,Riffraff FRX & HPX,Idm Mod,Bd valve body, PHP Hydra W. Gearhead & Tw tunes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-02-2019, 07:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
The 4r100 requires Mercon, Ford changed the recommendation to Mercon V when they quit selling Mercon. Mercon rated fluid is fine to use in the 4r100.

00 f250 ext. cab, lb, 4x4, 158,000, zf 6 speed, South Bend 1944ofe, 4 in lift, 315/75/16 Courser MXTs, rear Detroit locker, PMF traction bars, Full Force 180/80 injectors, php hydra, Riff Raff frx, Riff Raff billet compressor wheel, Dieselsite pre pump kit, Dorman up pipes,IAH delete, ccv mod, 6637 filter, Auto Meter gauges, scan guage 2, 4 in diamod eye straight pipe 6 in tip.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-02-2019, 07:50 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Valvoline max life dexmerc and 99% of the other dexmerc is the closest oil to the original Mercon.

Do some research some reported odd issues after using Mercon v in the 4r100s. I just stuck with dexmerc and no issues. The slipping is mostly the tuning and or clutch packs etc. ask for tad firmer shifts and try it with a stock/lower hp tune

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-02-2019, 09:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
This has been a long discussed topic, your Owners Manual says "Do not use Mercon V" but,,, lots of people have done it and it's track record now doesn't seem to show there's an issue. And now that actual Dex III has been out of production for 10 yrs you're not going to find it anywhere.

Read the thinking from about MercV from 6yrs ago (middle of the page) -> https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99...-now-what.html

I've come to assume that, now that our transmission seals are all over 15yrs old, the potential for whatever is was that MercV might damage, is now gone as they're "hard enough" to tolerate it maybe...

I agree with Justin, Valvoline Max Life is a good alternative.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-02-2019, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanks for the responses guys, i didn't get to check my post today so I ended up picking up Castrol Mercon v and and ran 19 quarts through the trans to try to flush it, the trans seems like it shifts slightly better than before, I'm looking into a new tuner to buy tunes from and maybe a JW valve body I'm hoping maybe that will cure the OD Flare issue(it hasn't happened since fluid change but I couldn't push the truck hard due to snow),thanks again guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode