1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 7.3l Coolant overflow tank issue

Ended up taking the truck to get something to eat, long story short I parked the truck and get out, and notice that coolant is just POURING out from under the front left side of the truck. So i popped the hood, and can very visibly see that the Degasse bottle (coolant overflow tank) had spewed out all over my battery and other accessories.

What would be the cause of losing all of this coolant?

Why is there such an immense pressure build up inside the tank that it literally pushes all of the coolant in the bottle out the top if I refill it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I built this motor and it has maaaybe 3-4,XXX miles on it and I got the motor as a long block so I never fooled with the heads so im not too worried about a headgasket crack or leak. There isn't any diesel inside the coolant tank or anything. The odd thing is that the truck isnt overheating. Well, ever since its happened I haven't ran it very hard and will continue to do so until my cooling system issue is fixed so I dont ruin all of the hard work put into getting it together. Just confused about why its shooting my coolant out, and i'm not able to find any information on the subject. No, i did not have the radiator cleaned before i put it in the truck so i'm thinking its possible i have a blockage somewhere in the cooling system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2019, 08:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Maybe you need a new coolant cap, I would start there.

2001 7.3L CCSRW 4X4
2003 7.3L CCDRW
S&B intake, 4" Flo-Pro Exhaust
ISSPRO EGT/Transmission. Edge SCT2
PHP Hydra chip's
2015 Heartland Prowler
Old 10-01-2019, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I honestly never considered something that simple. I was looking for some kind of fatal flaw. It looks newish, but I have no clue how old it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2019, 08:10 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucej42k View Post
Ended up taking the truck to get something to eat, long story short I parked the truck and get out, and notice that coolant is just POURING out from under the front left side of the truck. So i popped the hood, and can very visibly see that the Degasse bottle (coolant overflow tank) had spewed out all over my battery and other accessories.

What would be the cause of losing all of this coolant?

Why is there such an immense pressure build up inside the tank that it literally pushes all of the coolant in the bottle out the top if I refill it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I built this motor and it has maaaybe 3-4,XXX miles on it and I got the motor as a long block so I never fooled with the heads so im not too worried about a headgasket crack or leak. There isn't any diesel inside the coolant tank or anything. The odd thing is that the truck isnt overheating. Well, ever since its happened I haven't ran it very hard and will continue to do so until my cooling system issue is fixed so I dont ruin all of the hard work put into getting it together. Just confused about why its shooting my coolant out, and i'm not able to find any information on the subject. No, i did not have the radiator cleaned before i put it in the truck so i'm thinking its possible i have a blockage somewhere in the cooling system.

The coolant systems in these trucks need a perfect seal or it allows air into the system and allows the coolant to boil over much lower temp than a properly sealed system:

Check for cracks and hose connections on all hoses, check the water pump, check the water pump outlet. its either a straight pipe or elbow. Personally I would get a coolant pressure test kit free to rent from most auto parts and when the truck is cold pump it to say 5 psi carefully and then stop, look, listen and feel for any coolant coming out anywhere. then pump it to 10psi and look, listen, feel again. Then do the same when the engine is warm. A cold engine is easier to find leaks because the heat causes so much to expand ever so slightly but its good to check both ways.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
The Following User Says Thank You to JustinOOO9 For This Useful Post:
Brucej42k (10-02-2019)
Old 10-02-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you for your suggestions and information man it means the world that you took your time to share your advice. I'll most definitely be doing all of what you suggested, as a side piece of information, probably about ~500 miles ago I noticed it lost a little bit of coolant so I felt all around the tank and at the very bottom where the bottom hose feeds to the radiator there was just the slightest of leaks, so i'm pretty positive i just need a new coolant tank.

I would check all of the hoses but literally all of them are new including the water pump/water pump gasket.

My water pump is the type with the elbow connected not the straight. Its only leaking on the passenger side of the truck, that water pump sits on the right side of the engine so i'm pretty sure its a leaky Degas bottle
Old 10-17-2019, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update: New coolant cap did nothing, ran the truck a little bit to see if it fixed my issue and no luck, blew out all of my coolant and now my engine is not sounding/running properly. Sounds like its misfiring right when I turn it over from cold and its blowing out a bunch of white smoke from the exhaust, which it hasn't done before. Any suggestions help, going to rent the pressure test kit and see if i can hear where the leak is coming from.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:10 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
When a 7.3l diesel is warmed up/billowing white smoke it usually means coolant is entering in the combustion cycle. I would pull off the valvecovers and stick an inspection camera into each cylinder to see if any coolant is sitting in a cylinder. The pressure test kit can do damage so remember to go up in pressure in steps. so say for example start at 5psi then look/listen. Then 7-10psi look/listen and so on. I was thinking this was a 14psi system but any googeling will confirm that. Sometimes dealers are ok with giving away specs, some just hmm and haw and try to get you to bring the truck in etc.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
Old 10-17-2019, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucej42k View Post
Update: New coolant cap did nothing, ran the truck a little bit to see if it fixed my issue and no luck, blew out all of my coolant and now my engine is not sounding/running properly. Sounds like its misfiring right when I turn it over from cold and its blowing out a bunch of white smoke from the exhaust, which it hasn't done before. Any suggestions help, going to rent the pressure test kit and see if i can hear where the leak is coming from.
Man I was hoping for a simple fix for ya, but my guess now is blown head gasket which is rare in these engines.

2001 7.3L CCSRW 4X4
2003 7.3L CCDRW
S&B intake, 4" Flo-Pro Exhaust
ISSPRO EGT/Transmission. Edge SCT2
PHP Hydra chip's
2015 Heartland Prowler
Old 10-17-2019, 07:05 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Garage
I would pull the glow plugs, then bump the engine over with the solenoid on the fender
while watching to see which cylinder blows coolant out

The pressure test on the radiator could hydro lock the engine -- and you will pull the glow plugs anyways to free that

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Could be a cracked head or block also.
Hydro likes this.

00 f250 ext. cab, lb, 4x4, 158,000, zf 6 speed, South Bend 1944ofe, 4 in lift, 315/75/16 Courser MXTs, rear Detroit locker, PMF traction bars, Full Force 180/80 injectors, php hydra, Riff Raff frx, Riff Raff billet compressor wheel, Dieselsite pre pump kit, Dorman up pipes,IAH delete, ccv mod, 6637 filter, Auto Meter gauges, scan guage 2, 4 in diamod eye straight pipe 6 in tip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in