E350 ran out of fuel, started, stalled, won't start again. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JustinOOO9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 09-20-2019, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So yesterday I was taking my bus to a friend's place out in the country as I left town I noticed I had ⅛ of a tank left of fuel, felt I could make it there and back, well halfway back she stalled out. Still a bit above the empty line, figured "eh, The gauge must be off, My bad." called up my friend told him the situation he brought me some diesel(in a gas Jerry Can, not sure if the residual gasoline could have contaminated the diesel and caused damage). After a lot of cranking she did start, she was idling lower(~590) than normal(~660) then would rev up(~710) by herself then back down. When in park or neutral I could rev her up normally, but in drive when I tried to go, she'd just stall.

Well we pulled her home with a tow strap I was told to check the oil because they "will not start or stay running if the engine oil is low because it uses oil pressure to operate the fuel injectors" despite a slow leak the oil level is where its supposed to be.

I tried to start her today for the most part she just cranks, AIC read ~150RPMs, but then she sounded like she was about to start, AIC read ~350RPMs but no matter how long I'd let her crank she wouldn't fully start.
Here's the video I took yesterday trying to get it to start. https://drive.google.com/file/d/112-...w?usp=drivesdk

A bit of background,
I took her to the shop after I bought her, I was told she needed glow plugs and a new glow plug relay(or glow plug controller). After sitting all winter, this past spring I tried to start her up, fuel gauge was at about where it was yesterday and after using a heat gun in the intake I got her started up, about 10 minutes afterwards she stalled just like she did yesterday, feeling defeated after that(thought something more serious was wrong) I left it for a few weeks tried again in warmer weather and put more fuel in, again after a lot of cranking she started up, drove and started no problem after that.

Any ideas on where to start diagnosing here?

Last edited by Kaiden; 09-20-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-20-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Added more fuel + fuel conditioner, she runs and drives now. So I guess my fuel gauge is off, at the least.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-20-2019, 01:21 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
May want to look into the batteries too. If they are not strong enough the engine wont turn over fast enough for the crank sensor to register and it wont start. Also google the fuel tank mods for a 7.3l. If it starts to stall around 1/4 tank the fuel tank pick up foot broke off and or the intake pre screens are clogging.

Glad you got it figured out at least.
Hydro likes this.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-21-2019, 02:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 99 F350 fuel gauge stopped working. It would show full all the time. When it would get down to where I was sure it was around 1/4 of a tank, I would run our of fuel. After dropping the tank, I found that the pickup foot had broken off AND the float for the fuel gauge was bad. Replaced them both, cleaned the tank since it was already out and everything runs fine now.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-28-2019, 03:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had a similar problem had me down for 2 days in Oklahoma. Ended up a heavy machinery diesel guy from the RV park told me to crack open the fuel filter cover just barely, turned the key to on and heard the air escape the fuel bowl and I tightened it back down. Started every time after that. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in