Hard thump/bump when getting off the throttle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 08-29-2019, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hard thump/bump when getting off the throttle

I am having a thump/bump when getting off the throttle and when getting back into it. It's worse when I get off the throttle suddenly and when almost goes away when I get out of it slowly. It's almost like someone is kicking the bottom of my seat. My truck is a 2002 F-250 4x4 with an automatic transmission.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-29-2019, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Garage
A couple of things come to mind.

From personal experience, check the drive line to T-case coupler. Several years ago, I found a bolt on my driveway. Crawled under to see where it came from. It was from that coupler...and several other bolts were loose too. It was clunking back and forth.
2nd, do you have a two piece drive shaft? If so, check the slip yoke. They need to be greased from time to time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Darryl | Owner/Operator
Truck | 2001 F350 7.3L CCLB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5th Wheel |

Proud US Navy Veteran | '76-'80 - Petty Officer 2nd Class (E5) - U.S.S. Point Defiance (LSD-31) - 'Gator Navy
post #3 of 15 Old 08-29-2019, 12:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Rear driveshaft center support carrier bearing. The rubber there will disintegrate. Happened to me causing my bump on initial acceleration and deceleration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 09-03-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post
A couple of things come to mind.

From personal experience, check the drive line to T-case coupler. Several years ago, I found a bolt on my driveway. Crawled under to see where it came from. It was from that coupler...and several other bolts were loose too. It was clunking back and forth.
2nd, do you have a two piece drive shaft? If so, check the slip yoke. They need to be greased from time to time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaChad View Post
Rear driveshaft center support carrier bearing. The rubber there will disintegrate. Happened to me causing my bump on initial acceleration and deceleration.
Thank you, I will check all of these out
SuperCrutyPS likes this.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-05-2019, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Taking the truck in to get a Teflon service on the driveshaft. Also going to get the rear diff serviced and checked out because I hear a howl at certain speeds. I will update with the results.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-06-2019, 06:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
REAR DRIVE SHAFT, CARRIER BEARING OR U-JOINTS.STAY AWAY FROM MOOG PARTS THEY WERE BOUGHT OUT NOW THERE PARTS R JUNK I ALREADY FOUND ONE OF THE CUPS ON A NEW U-JOINT WAS MISSING A NEEDLE BEARING REALLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 15 Old 09-06-2019, 06:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Buddylee, be sure to post your findings after your test drive. I did hear the same about Moog parts. I've still had good luck with them but I've heard their quality control tanked. Did they sell out to some Chinese company? I dont mean to change subjects. But itll be good info before I rebuild another driveline. Usually I try to go with Spicer.
post #8 of 15 Old 10-01-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

I just got the truck back from the shop yesterday. Turns out it needed carrier bearings, ring and pinion, and hub bearings. I had the Teflon grease treatment, new u-joints, and a balance done on the drive shaft while they were at it. So ya basically almost all new from the transmission back now lol. The noise is gone and it's much smoother now. I will have a better impression after I get through the breakin period.
post #9 of 15 Old 10-14-2019, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Update: Getting this work done fixed the loud howl at highway speeds but it did not fix my slack in the drivetrain. I will be taking it to a transmission shop on Wednesday to have them look at it. It must be in the transmission or the transfer case. It almost seems to be an issue with the torque converter.
post #10 of 15 Old 10-14-2019, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 1185 Post(s)
Quoted: 1424 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Did the driveline shop not check the clutches in the diff?

[SIZE="3"]For all your ford powerstroke needs. If you dont see what you are looking for on the website, please use the contact page and shoot us a message or
Part numbers will help alot too if they are not on our site.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode