Crank no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-23-2019, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Crank no start

I have a 1999 F250 super duty automatic has 220k miles.
I was driving down the freeway and my truck losess power and dies my WTS light came on my water in fuel bowl and my SES light. I tried to start it back up when I pulled over but this time my WTS light would even come on it. But the truck would just crank no start Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-23-2019, 08:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Any chance you have something connected to the OBD2 port? This happens to me when I try to connect something there. You can also pull the drain valve to try and dump some fuel and see if there's actually water in your fuel.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-24-2019, 05:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Don't even bother trying to start until you get the WTS light back on (shows the PCM is up & running and with out the PCM running you're Never going to start).

In the Vast majority of cases, this is a blow fuse somewhere that supplies power to the PCM (and sometimes other things too like the Fuel Heater Element). Go over All your fuses, especially the ones associated with the PCM (look in the Owners Manual). Don't just "glance" at them, you can be fooled, use a light or meter to check Both sides of each fuse (if you find that heater element fuse is blown, be sure to unplug it from the bottom of the fuel bowl or it will just blow again because it's starting to short)

Next, if all the fuses are good, go to the big, square, connector over the dr side valve cover (it connects the engine's electrics) and Open it to disconnect all engine sensors. If the WTS returns with it unplugged then you have a sensor that's drawing-down the 5v reference line the PCM uses. You can find that sensor by unplugging them one-at-a-time (with that connector plugged back in) to find the bad one. Start with the EBP sensor, it's most often the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-24-2019, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
Don't even bother trying to start until you get the WTS light back on (shows the PCM is up & running and with out the PCM running you're Never going to start).

In the Vast majority of cases, this is a blow fuse somewhere that supplies power to the PCM (and sometimes other things too like the Fuel Heater Element). Go over All your fuses, especially the ones associated with the PCM (look in the Owners Manual). Don't just "glance" at them, you can be fooled, use a light or meter to check Both sides of each fuse (if you find that heater element fuse is blown, be sure to unplug it from the bottom of the fuel bowl or it will just blow again because it's starting to short)

Next, if all the fuses are good, go to the big, square, connector over the dr side valve cover (it connects the engine's electrics) and Open it to disconnect all engine sensors. If the WTS returns with it unplugged then you have a sensor that's drawing-down the 5v reference line the PCM uses. You can find that sensor by unplugging them one-at-a-time (with that connector plugged back in) to find the bad one. Start with the EBP sensor, it's most often the problem.
I’ve looked over all my fuses and there good. I think it could be the three square plug in behind the pcm. Cause every time I play with them they WTS light comes back on and I’m able to start my truck
post #5 of 6 Old 05-25-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I think I need a new pcm ?
post #6 of 6 Old 06-09-2019, 11:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Sounds like the wiring if jiggling it works. Did you clean it and add some dielectric grease? Can you engineer the connection tighter with some zip ties?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode