Truck turns off then on - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-16-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck turns off then on

I’m new to this page. And been trying to find out this problem I have 99 f250 super duty with 220k. Lately I’ve been getting this weird problem my truck with randomly turn off and back on. when I let off the accelerator the truck starts running fine. When this happens my SES light turns on my water in fuel light and my wait to start light it’s almost like I’m turning me key off then on. It either happens once a day or multiple times in the day. I’ve recently replaced my icp,idm,cps and my ipr thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-17-2019, 06:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I hope you didn't spend all that money on those parts in an effort to fix this issue

The smart move is do an actual diagnoses so you only spend money on the parts you need (Ford sensors, and you should Only use genuine Ford or IH sensors or you can cause other issues, are EXPENSIVE!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're gonna keep & maintain the truck yourself I strongly suggest you get access to the special scanner software you need to do it.

Here you have a couple of the most common choices;

1) If you want to do Everything you'll ever need to, then look at the AutoEnginuity + the Ford Enhanced Package (@ $350 - you add an old computer of some sort to run it with)

2) To retrieve most of the codes you'll need to help and even do some testing look at the FORscan Lite (you add an Android device and Blue Tooth Adapter for @ $30) OR the Windoze version with a USB adapter. I like this one for BT Android -> http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-...dp/B005NLQAHS/

Just a few years ago you needed to buy a professional scan tool because our trucks need to have a scanner with a Library containing both the Ford Proprietary AND the Diesel Specific codes in it. Add to that, our trucks are Not, specifically, OBD-II so the Generic scanners the Auto Parts Stores have are of little use to us. But today there are some very good App based tools, that are close to what the pro tools do, for fraction of the cost.

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99...sis-cheap.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This would allow you to monitor those sensors and retrieve codes to direct you to where the problem is....

In this case, I'm going to assume your truck is an Automatic, if so I would start by looking at the OD button wire under the column covers for signs that it's chafing and shorting to ground. This wire is associated with the TPS and PCM and, when first starting to short, can cause the PCM to have a tiny "heart-attack". Another sensor that can do this is the EBP sensor.

If the PCMs line gets shorted momentarily it draws-down reference voltage and confuses it. If you have the ability to retrieve codes there should be a record of that event with a code. You just can't do it for yourself anymore and throwing parts at your problem is a Really Bad Strategy...

Here's a good link with pics for how to get to, and repair, a chafed OD wire (in a '99, it's is actually fuse #19 not 45 as in the '02 it's written about).

https://b7445ba3-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites....attredirects=0

Last edited by NoRalPh; 05-17-2019 at 08:52 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-17-2019, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No I didn’t buy theses parts to fix the problem I was just naming stuff I recently put on it. This all happened after I fixed all theses parts. But I’ll look into that. Would a back key ignition switch cause this problem. But if played with my ignition switch while driving and nothing happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-18-2019, 05:37 AM

And the ICP - CPS - IPR were all Ford sensors? No aftermarket sensor you purchased at an Auto Parts Store?

You mean like an Ign Sw that could be turning it Off momentarily? I suppose so but it seems unlikely. I would think this would vary in how long it shut off in that case, at some point it would just shut down and you'd have to cycle the key to get it reset again.

Again, there might be a code just waiting to tell you what the PCM saw as out-of-spec again & again to let you know where it saw a problem...
post #5 of 7 Old 05-19-2019, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah all the parts are from ford. I’ve checked for chaffed wiring. It’s just crazy cause it’s like I’m turning the key off and right back over and then. Sometimes it dies on my completely but I just gotta start it then it’s fine.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-20-2019, 05:50 AM

Kinda "classic" CPS or IPR sensor stuff (I know they're new...) But this is why you just must have the right scanner to know for sure.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-21-2019, 06:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Not trying to hijack! I'm having the same issue with my 01. Just recently got an OBDII bluetooth adapter and FORScan on my laptop. What PIDs do I need to watch when this happens? I'm still trying to figure out the program, but I have a basic understanding of it. I will post results as soon as I find out what I need to capture so I can hopefully point you in the right direction.

The problem I see with FORScan is that it stops recording when the engine dies. It also doesn't read the code the SES light trips. If it even trips a code.

These are the codes I've pulled when I got the program:

P1139: Water in Fuel Indicator Circuit
P0541: Manifold Intake Air Heater Circuit Low (I even got the code eliminator when I did my IAH Delete)
B1869: Air Bag Lamp indicator circuit open
B1323: Door Ajar Warning Lamp circuit failure

I'm thinking the WIF, Air Bag, and Door Ajar are from putting in polar sensitive LEDs in my dash and not knowing if they were in the right way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode