Help chasing an AC problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-16-2018, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help chasing an AC problem

I have a 99 F350 7.3 and I cant seem to find my issue. My AC blows out hot air. I have changed the vacuum pump, changed the blend door actuator, checked the clutch air gap, checked freon, and still no cold air. The AC clutch has apparently been apart before I got the truck because there is only one washer in it so I couldn't adjust the air gap, right now its at about .05 instead of .02-.03. It was also full of build up around the shaft.....Could I possible need a new AC clutch? The AC Accumulator is getting cold and sweating so I know its working. The vacuum pump seems to run constant so I have to track a vacuum leak but I didn't think that would have anything to do with cold air.....any help?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1999 F350
-4" Turbo back exhaust
-Garrett GTP38r Turbo
-Upgraded Early 99 Single Shot Injectors
-ARP Head Studs
-AFE Intake
-RiffRaff Up Pipe Kit

Last edited by Locke6169; 06-16-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-16-2018, 12:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke6169 View Post
I have a 99 F350 7.3 and I cant seem to find my issue. My AC blows out hot air. I have changed the vacuum pump, changed the blend door actuator, checked the clutch air gap, checked freon, and still no cold air. The AC clutch has apparently been apart before I got the truck because there is only one washer in it so I couldn't adjust the air gap, right now its at about .05 instead of .02-.03. It was also full of build up around the shaft.....Could I possible need a new AC clutch? The compressor is getting cold and sweating so I know its working. The vacuum pump seems to run constant so I have to track a vacuum leak but I didn't think that would have anything to do with cold air.....any help?

I can attest for the constant vacuum leak. My front hub air locker fittings and tubes are rotten so my brake light is always on. Anyway my pump must also always be running. But my ac is cold after I did the gap mod which entailed of me dropping all the spacers out of the clutch . Not totally educated in ac systems but maybe something is blocked preventing cold air in? Seems odd. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 13 Old 06-16-2018, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhide371 View Post
I can attest for the constant vacuum leak. My front hub air locker fittings and tubes are rotten so my brake light is always on. Anyway my pump must also always be running. But my ac is cold after I did the gap mod which entailed of me dropping all the spacers out of the clutch . Not totally educated in ac systems but maybe something is blocked preventing cold air in? Seems odd. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My hubs are manual locking. I pulled the last washer out but it allowed for no gap so I put it back in. Did you still have a gap after pulling them all out?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1999 F350
-4" Turbo back exhaust
-Garrett GTP38r Turbo
-ARP Head Studs
-AFE Intake
-RiffRaff Up Pipe Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-17-2018, 05:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke6169 View Post
I have a 99 F350 7.3 and I cant seem to find my issue. My AC blows out hot air. I have changed the vacuum pump, changed the blend door actuator, checked the clutch air gap, checked freon, and still no cold air. The AC clutch has apparently been apart before I got the truck because there is only one washer in it so I couldn't adjust the air gap, right now its at about .05 instead of .02-.03. It was also full of build up around the shaft.....Could I possible need a new AC clutch? The AC Accumulator is getting cold and sweating so I know its working. The vacuum pump seems to run constant so I have to track a vacuum leak but I didn't think that would have anything to do with cold air.....any help?
There should be a plug to the left of the ac with two wires going into it. Wiggle a bit with the truck on and see if the clutch engages. Mine has this problem and is on my todo list. My understanding is that its the high pressure ac switch but you have to drain the freon, switch the plug, and then recharge it.

Edit: vaccum issues with ac only occur if the 4X4 switch is on. makes it heat defrost, i thought.

Last edited by DarthF250; 06-17-2018 at 05:47 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-17-2018, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthF250 View Post
There should be a plug to the left of the ac with two wires going into it. Wiggle a bit with the truck on and see if the clutch engages. Mine has this problem and is on my todo list. My understanding is that its the high pressure ac switch but you have to drain the freon, switch the plug, and then recharge it.

Edit: vaccum issues with ac only occur if the 4X4 switch is on. makes it heat defrost, i thought.
The clutch engages like normal with the AC switch in the cab

1999 F350
-4" Turbo back exhaust
-Garrett GTP38r Turbo
-ARP Head Studs
-AFE Intake
-RiffRaff Up Pipe Kit
post #6 of 13 Old 06-17-2018, 06:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Have you cleaned your condenser? Could be caked with dirt and debris.

You checked fuse 24 that handles the door actuator? Should be a 10 amp.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-18-2018, 06:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
You very likely have a blend door issue.

Blend door controls airflow from either heater core or evaporator core. Obviously it is electronically actuated, you said you changed the actuator. The door could be physically damaged, or the new actuator could be bad, or no power to the actuator, or debris in the bower compartment.

Take the blend door actuator out, plug it in with it in your hand and turn the hvac controller from hot to cold and back to see if it functions. Next with the actuator out try to move the blend door by hand and check vent temps as you move it.

If your accumulator is sweating and cold to the touch then your compressor, clutch, evaporator, condenser, and the like are working(at least somewhat). One line to the evap will be cold the other warm.

All the air directional actuators are vacuum operated. A vacuum leaks will cause a default to defrost, but not no cold air. Also possible is the heater core shutoff valve, but this won't cause HOT air, just not icy cold air.

Lastly manual hubs generally mean a vacuum leak at the hubs, truck came with auto/manual hubs or auto hubs and they stop functioning so easy fix is swap out for Warn manual hubs. If you're blowing air from the vents and switch to 4x4 and she goes to defrost you have a vacuum leak in the hub/nuckle/lines etc.

A vacuum leak will not cause the brake light to be illuminated.......

Personal Truck/Heavy Hauler 12 F350 XL 4x4 DRW CCLB 3.73 LSD Black
Shop built headache rack, tie downs, and knock down ladder rack, Tread plate bed mat, Airbags, Cheapo light bar, bug screen on the grill, transfer tank w/ pump and racor filter, shimmed overloads, CTS, X4 Tyrant tunes, Full Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk285 View Post
Durapig you win the internets today hahahaha

Just because your not paranoid doesn't mean their not out to get you...
The Following User Says Thank You to Durapig Eater For This Useful Post:
Locke6169 (06-26-2018)
post #8 of 13 Old 06-18-2018, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
What are you seeing for pressure on the low vs high side of the system ?

Gunga galunga...gunga -- gunga galunga.

97 F-250 CC 4x4 7.3L PSD E4OD 203K all original
99 F-250 CC 4x4 7.3L PSD ZF6 253K all original
post #9 of 13 Old 06-19-2018, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthF250 View Post
Have you cleaned your condenser? Could be caked with dirt and debris.

You checked fuse 24 that handles the door actuator? Should be a 10 amp.
Condenser is clear, but will check the fuse. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durapig Eater View Post
You very likely have a blend door issue.

Blend door controls airflow from either heater core or evaporator core. Obviously it is electronically actuated, you said you changed the actuator. The door could be physically damaged, or the new actuator could be bad, or no power to the actuator, or debris in the bower compartment.

Take the blend door actuator out, plug it in with it in your hand and turn the hvac controller from hot to cold and back to see if it functions. Next with the actuator out try to move the blend door by hand and check vent temps as you move it.

If your accumulator is sweating and cold to the touch then your compressor, clutch, evaporator, condenser, and the like are working(at least somewhat). One line to the evap will be cold the other warm.

All the air directional actuators are vacuum operated. A vacuum leaks will cause a default to defrost, but not no cold air. Also possible is the heater core shutoff valve, but this won't cause HOT air, just not icy cold air.

Lastly manual hubs generally mean a vacuum leak at the hubs, truck came with auto/manual hubs or auto hubs and they stop functioning so easy fix is swap out for Warn manual hubs. If you're blowing air from the vents and switch to 4x4 and she goes to defrost you have a vacuum leak in the hub/nuckle/lines etc.

A vacuum leak will not cause the brake light to be illuminated.......
Never knew that about the hubs. I just thought I dodged a bullet with manual locking hubs when I got the truck. What would you do with the vacuum line when you switch to manual locking...just plug it? I will check all the other suggestions when I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskeeper View Post
What are you seeing for pressure on the low vs high side of the system ?
Not sure. I had a buddy check and he just told me I was good

1999 F350
-4" Turbo back exhaust
-Garrett GTP38r Turbo
-ARP Head Studs
-AFE Intake
-RiffRaff Up Pipe Kit

Last edited by Locke6169; 06-19-2018 at 10:52 AM.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-19-2018, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
[QUOTE=Locke6169;16106757]

Never knew that about the hubs. I just thought I dodged a bullet with manual locking hubs when I got the truck. What would you do with the vacuum line when you switch to manual locking...just plug it? I will check all the other suggestions when I get a chance.]
If you have a manual transfer case, then I don't think they have the vacuum issue in the knuckle? ESOF(4x4 inob on the dash) then plug them, fold over and zip tie or whatever.

Again a bad vacuum leak somewhere else in the system will cause a default to defrost. If it defaults to defrost when you put it 4x4 then you have a leak. This will NOT cause hot/warm air from the vents because the blend door is electronic.

It will cause your MAX AC not to function properly.

I had an 03 where the refresh/recirculate door arm was busted. From the passenger floor board reach way up to the firewall and the refresh door is hinged horizontally behind a plastic grid. Then a vacuum actuator and a bomarang looking plastic armature connected to the door. I changed mine without pulling anything apart dash wise, but it is a one eye closed, hold your teeth just right, work by faith no by sight sort of thing.

Hopefully it will cool down by Thanksgiving so you can fiddle around with it.

Or chain a generator down in the bed and put a window ac unit through the rear sliding window.....

Personal Truck/Heavy Hauler 12 F350 XL 4x4 DRW CCLB 3.73 LSD Black
Shop built headache rack, tie downs, and knock down ladder rack, Tread plate bed mat, Airbags, Cheapo light bar, bug screen on the grill, transfer tank w/ pump and racor filter, shimmed overloads, CTS, X4 Tyrant tunes, Full Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk285 View Post
Durapig you win the internets today hahahaha

Just because your not paranoid doesn't mean their not out to get you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode