LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 08-09-2016, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rapid clicking/ticking noise -- HELP?

Hello,

I am hearing a rapid ticking/clicking noise starting at about 50mph+, which sounds to be coming from the motor. The sound is very noticeable when coasting. If you are to be coasting downhill, the sound will be noticeable, but when you step on the accelerator and give it some fuel, the sound seems to disappear. The sound has a sort of metallic sound to it.

I filmed this video to demonstrate:

Go to about 0:32 into the video, turn your volume up, and listen very carefully. It sounds sort of like a metallic, ticking chatter.

Any ideas on what this could be? Should I be worried?

Thanks in advance!

2000 XLT F250 ECSB, 4R100 Tranny - Slowly modding away..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods Done:
- International Bellowed Uppipes
- RiffRaff 6637 Air Filter
- MBRP 4" Turbo Back w/ muffler
- ISSPro Gauges (Boost, Pyro, Trans Temp)
- PHP Hydra

Wish List:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- 4" Suspension Lift
- Wheels and tires

Next mod to do:

- 4" Suspension Lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-10-2016, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
@[email protected]

What you think ?

Swamps 300cc/400% sticks, SRP 1.1, Hypermax stage 1 cam, Comp Cams 910 units, DI chromoly pushrods, Crower billet rods, Mahle coated pistons with Spirolox pin retainers weight matched, Fully billet BTS transmission, 6.0 tranny cooler, CR racing aftermarket intercooler, Air Dog 150gph , Irate Diesel RR, Swamps IDM, H11 head studs and ARP main studs, Motor completely built by me and me only. Shes a true Cummins Killer
Big Red Cheif FTW
post #3 of 15 Old 08-10-2016, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 1219 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
First thing I'd check is ujoints. Drop the drive shaft to check, pry bars are only good when a ujoint is completely toast.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Brydawg512 and 7.3 powerchoke like this.

[SIZE="3"]For all your ford powerstroke needs. If you dont see what you are looking for on the website, please use the contact page and shoot us a message or
Part numbers will help alot too if they are not on our site.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 08-10-2016, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
First thing I'd check is ujoints. Drop the drive shaft to check, pry bars are only good when a ujoint is completely toast.

I had originally thought it would have been my u-joints also, however the sound seems to be coming from under the hood. It's odd because I have no loss of fuel mileage or no high EGT's/trans temp.

I also should add that it seems to be an RPM related thing, not so much speed. For example, if I am coasting down a hill and approach 40 mph I will hear a ticking start, but as soon as I turn overdrive on and the RPM's drop, the ticking seems to vanish.

Any further ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Mods Done:
- PHP Hydra

Wish List:

- 4" Suspension Lift
- Wheels and tires

Next mod to do:

- 4" Suspension Lift
post #5 of 15 Old 08-11-2016, 08:57 AM

Torque converter. Is it a stock one?

[SIZE="3"]For all your ford powerstroke needs. If you dont see what you are looking for on the website, please use the contact page and shoot us a message or

post #6 of 15 Old 08-11-2016, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Torque converter. Is it a stock one?

Ahh.. I wonder if it is the torque converter.

Unless the guy that owned it before me changed it out, which I highly doubt he did, it is most likely the stock converter.

How would I test to see if it is the converter? I assume it's pretty involved, like pulling the tranny??

Mods Done:
- PHP Hydra

Wish List:

- 4" Suspension Lift
- Wheels and tires

Next mod to do:

- 4" Suspension Lift
post #7 of 15 Old 08-11-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brydawg512 View Post
Ahh.. I wonder if it is the torque converter.

Unless the guy that owned it before me changed it out, which I highly doubt he did, it is most likely the stock converter.

How would I test to see if it is the converter? I assume it's pretty involved, like pulling the tranny??
Not really any way to physically verify it without pulling it out. It will certainly get louder over time before it finally goes though.

post #8 of 15 Old 08-11-2016, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Quote:
Not really any way to physically verify it without pulling it out. It will certainly get louder over time before it finally goes though.
Would a torque converter lock up test be worth anything or no in this situation ?
[email protected] likes this.

Swamps 300cc/400% sticks, SRP 1.1, Hypermax stage 1 cam, Comp Cams 910 units, DI chromoly pushrods, Crower billet rods, Mahle coated pistons with Spirolox pin retainers weight matched, Fully billet BTS transmission, 6.0 tranny cooler, CR racing aftermarket intercooler, Air Dog 150gph , Irate Diesel RR, Swamps IDM, H11 head studs and ARP main studs, Motor completely built by me and me only. Shes a true Cummins Killer
Big Red Cheif FTW
post #9 of 15 Old 08-11-2016, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Ok. What happens when it goes (I'm sorry, not very good with this stuff)? Will the entire transmission be shot or just the tc?

Also, I should add that sometimes when I am going down a small hill (only getting up to about 35 mph) the engine (or possibly the tc in this case) kinda lugs and makes it feel almost as if it slows the truck down and the RPM's rise, then it will go away shortly after I accelerate.

Also, should I just run my tc to near its death, or does it sound to you like it is still somewhat drivable?

Thanks again

Mods Done:
- PHP Hydra

Wish List:

- 4" Suspension Lift
- Wheels and tires

Next mod to do:

- 4" Suspension Lift
post #10 of 15 Old 08-11-2016, 03:41 PM

Try this.

Turn od off and see if it changes. If tc is making noise it should go away when in lockup mode where its compressed together

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode