Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/)
-   99-03 7.3L Performance Parts (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-03-7-3l-performance-parts/)
-   -   Tuners (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-03-7-3l-performance-parts/1367791-tuners.html)

[email protected] 08-22-2019 04:43 PM

Tuners

Trying to determine which tuner to go with going to upgrade injectors and fuel system soon just trying to figure out what parts to get

darianmacdonald 08-22-2019 05:43 PM

Hydra, no question.

hansel 08-22-2019 07:23 PM

PHP Hydra and I'm running the standard tunes that come from them, you can buy custom tuning from PHP or others but I'm completely happy with the tunes they have.

CloverLeafFarm 08-23-2019 06:00 AM

Custom tuned TS 6 position chip.
what size of injectors?
truck use?
besides fuel system, what other upgrades?
hp?
Trans?

a few important details, not all tuners are the same.

RJC2 08-24-2019 08:53 AM

I'm also thinking of getting a new tuner for the truck I just purchased. (2001 F250) It has an Superchips tuner on it and I don't like it at all. I had a Tony Wildman tuner on the last 7.3. (the one in the avatar on the left) It was a good tuner but the throttle response went from 0-100 percent in 1" of travel. It made the go-pedal so touchy that I would run it on stock most of the time so I didn't eat my rear tires off.
I'd like to find a tuner that is more drivable and often wondered if the Hydra the same way as the Tony Wildman tuner?

White_Buffalo7.3 08-24-2019 09:07 AM

PHP library is fantastic. I ran PHP tunes before i got my injectors. I absolutely love those tunes. Shifting was IMO great for towing, Street tune didn't smoke, and the race tune was all out, all while being safe for my PMR's.

INFRNL 08-25-2019 09:07 PM

PHP tunes are very driver friendly and won't feel like your old wildman tunes. My current modified GH tunes use the entire length of the pedal (not sure if they are supposed to be like that but they are) Not all of my GH tunes behave this way but a couple of them do.

I have PHP, GH, 1023, SDK, Beans/no limit, powerstruck tunes and all behave a little differently. I also have modified PHP tunes from yrs ago and access to the current modified library, current PHP tunes are more mellow. My beans and powerstruck tunes are also from years ago; where my 1023, SDK, GH tunes are recent.

If you are sticking with stock injectors, just get a hydra and run the PHP tunes from the library

RJC2 08-26-2019 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by INFRNL (Post 16322693)
PHP tunes are very driver friendly and won't feel like your old wildman tunes. My current modified GH tunes use the entire length of the pedal (not sure if they are supposed to be like that but they are) Not all of my GH tunes behave this way but a couple of them do.

I have PHP, GH, 1023, SDK, Beans/no limit, powerstruck tunes and all behave a little differently. I also have modified PHP tunes from yrs ago and access to the current modified library, current PHP tunes are more mellow. My beans and powerstruck tunes are also from years ago; where my 1023, SDK, GH tunes are recent.

If you are sticking with stock injectors, just get a hydra and run the PHP tunes from the library

Thanks for the advice, that's what I needed to know. Also, thanks to White Buffalo 7.3, what he said about the street tune not smoking was a help as well. I've often wondered if anyone made a decent tune that didn't plume smoke like a freight train. I'm not a tree hugger, but the soot is a pain to clean off the truck and trailer, and I'm sure the horses didn't appreciate it.

To the OP; my apologies to you, I didn't mean to hijack your thread, however, I thought my questions may help you as well.

[email protected] 08-26-2019 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 16321483)
Trying to determine which tuner to go with going to upgrade injectors and fuel system soon just trying to figure out what parts to get

This is the best on the market for the 7.3L platform, especially if you want to go with larger injectors. I have plenty on the shelf

https://cncfab.us/i-30498022-php-hyd...php-hydra.html

What size of injectors? Mainly so I have an idea of what else to recommend. You dont need up upgrade your whole fuel system if you stay with 160/30 or smaller injectors. 180cc it is hit or miss that a factory pump will supply enough fuel for them. Some dont have issues, others cant keep up.

White_Buffalo7.3 08-26-2019 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJC2 (Post 16322785)
Thanks for the advice, that's what I needed to know. Also, thanks to White Buffalo 7.3, what he said about the street tune not smoking was a help as well. I've often wondered if anyone made a decent tune that didn't plume smoke like a freight train. I'm not a tree hugger, but the soot is a pain to clean off the truck and trailer, and I'm sure the horses didn't appreciate it.

To the OP; my apologies to you, I didn't mean to hijack your thread, however, I thought my questions may help you as well.

Can i ask why you got another 7.3? work truck? Plow truck?