2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-26-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2001 F250 7.3l stocm

Hello everyone, I have a 2001 Ford F-250 that is stock except for a ts chip and a 4 inch down pipe to 5 inch back exhaust. It has 290,xxx miles. Iím looking to making this a nice truck to trust for long distances. I want to redo the front end, whatís brands does everyone run for ball joints and wheel bearings. Also What setups are people running that are getting good mpg and good power when I need it. I donít pull a lot but it is used for a farm truck. Also Iím looking at putting injectors, turbo, hpop, fuel system, etc. This is going to be a project and not all happening at once. The transmission has 180,xxx miles so Iím looking to rebuild it or upgrade tc. My intentions for this truck is to have a nice truck I can get in and not worry. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-26-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I should add Iím going for a good looking truck, thats dependable and also have the power to pull or play. My oil temps run around 212- 220. Just open to everyoneís builds and what I can gather up to redo the truck. Thanks
post #3 of 7 Old 07-26-2019, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Garage
Check w/ @[email protected] for things like injectors, turbo etc. He is one of our Supporting Vendors.

You can go up to "Forums" - drop down to the Supporting Vendor section to see who else might be able to support your plan!
[email protected] likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Darryl | Owner/Operator
Truck | 2001 F350 CCLB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5th Wheel |

Proud Veteran | US Navy - '76-'80 - Petty Officer 2nd Class (E5)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-26-2019, 04:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
I have put every brand known to man in these trucks for front end parts (tie-rods/balljoints/u-joints/wheel bearings etc...) and i have always had the best luck with OEM ford parts with one exception-Lockout hubs.

Spicer/Moog both make great parts. However i have had bad luck with them. Could be the fact that all our trucks have to carry an 1100lbs plow for 6 months of the year. Or that they tow daily. But its OEM all day for me at this point.

If it matters we own all 550/450 duallys so that could skew my results.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-26-2019, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 1164 Post(s)
Quoted: 1404 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
DANA/Spicer are OEM parts. MOOG used to be really good about 5-7yrs ago, but their quality has dropped alot. I used to use their "Problem Solver" line of parts and have been happy, but those are pre-bad quality like they seem to be now.

I do keep on the shelf alot a DANA/Spicer parts like u-joints and ball joint kits and I have yet to have a customer bring their truck back for any warranty on those parts.

Also, you definitely cant go wrong with OEM parts, just a bit more money though.

For your build, can you copy/paste your original post and email it to me [email protected] ? Maybe sometime next week Ill call and go over options and what things to go with first on the performance stuff.
7.3_TurboDiesel likes this.

[SIZE="3"]For all your ford powerstroke needs. If you dont see what you are looking for on the website, please use the contact page and shoot us a message or
Part numbers will help alot too if they are not on our site.

post #6 of 7 Old 07-26-2019, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
DANA/Spicer are OEM parts. MOOG used to be really good about 5-7yrs ago, but their quality has dropped alot. I used to use their "Problem Solver" line of parts and have been happy, but those are pre-bad quality like they seem to be now.

I do keep on the shelf alot a DANA/Spicer parts like u-joints and ball joint kits and I have yet to have a customer bring their truck back for any warranty on those parts.

Also, you definitely cant go wrong with OEM parts, just a bit more money though.

For your build, can you copy/paste your original post and email it to me [email protected] ? Maybe sometime next week Ill call and go over options and what things to go with first on the performance stuff.
Yes spicer/Dana make the oem parts. Honestly I'm sure you know a heck of a lot more about it than I do. Just have had bad luck every time I buy a spicer balljoint or u joint from fleetpride. Could be the quality of parts fleet pride is ordering compared to ford. It could just be me.

I get volume discounts from my local ford so the price Is always within 10% of anywhere else I go. I'm sure it's not that way for all.

And I totally agree with the Moog statement. They went downhill fast.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-26-2019, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I'd choose dana/spicer for ball joints, u-joints, seals, timken bearings...

call Corey or or other vendors to get you dialed in for your goals. If you want reliability, I say stay stock, put a hydra chip and better intake, exhaust if you want and definitely gauges and call it good.

If you want more play, you will need a better built tranny and torque converter. I am not sure what the limit is of a stock tranny. I started with just a valve body when my truck was stock with a chip and exhaust. then i got stupid and threw a ton of money into my truck just to hang out with the cool kids.

so the choice is yours. My truck is reliable and fun and I have taken it on long trips without issue. Only failure I have had was when my stealth hpop failed recently with probably less than 10k miles on it. Just regular maintenance things. As long as you stay on top of everything and keep an eye on your truck; it should stay very reliable. Oh, my aftermarket nearly $500 fuel lab fuel pump recently took a dump.

oem parts typically last longer. performance parts I predict half life, depending on what it is. most reliable parts, oem.

one upgrade I highly recommend is a 6.0l tranny cooler or quality aftermarket version. this is needed with or without towing imo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode