Need some advice on new parts. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-23-2018, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Need some advice on new parts.

It looks like I have a one or more brake cylinders that have gone bad and need to be replaced. Should I just get some basic Autozone models? Motorcraft OEMS? or go with something with more gusto?

I also need to replace the trans fluid and was thinking of upgrading the cooler at the same time? If I do that I should track down a 6.0 cooler correct? 31 row? Recommendations? Part numbers I can google?

Also does it really matter if I use Royal purple vs Ford XT-5-5QM MERCON-V? The price is double...

thanks in advance.

2001 Silver F250SD PSD 4X4 (ACQUIRED 03/09/01)Tow Pkg, Camper Pkg, Off Road pkg, Husky Liners, Quantam Tinting, Duralast Gold, 35/12.5R16 Toyo M/T, 6" Lift, Fumoto Valve, MBRP 4" TB, Coolant Filter, 203* Thermostat, AFE Stage II w/ Pro Gaurd, 08 Diff Cover, Transgo Tugger, Mag-Hytec Tran Pan, Custom Battery Cables LLC, Riffraff Diesel AIH Delete Plug, RiffRaff CAC Boots, Riffraff Plenum Inserts, Riffraff HPX crossover

Last edited by Ulfhedinn; 05-23-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-23-2018, 10:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I put a Dorman 6.0 cooler on my dually because I got a good deal on it. I donít remember which one I used on the X but it looks identical.
Both work great, with no problems.
The Dorman part number is 918-216

I was looking at the powerstop brake kits for myself (still stock for now though). They look like nice kits. I donít have any firsthand knowledge about them though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

His:
1999.5 F350 XLT Crew Cab Dually Flatbed 4x4 7.3L
PHP Hydra, S&B Intake, MBRP 4" Exhaust, Gauges, Harpoon mod, Hutch mod, 6.0 Cooler, Airbags, Ď08 Mirrors, Brush Guard w/2 9" HID's & 2 4" Lightforce, 100 gal Transfer Tank

Hers:
2003 Excursion XLT 4x4 7.3L
PHP Hydra, S&B intake, MBRP 4Ē Exhaust, SPX 5+5 Wheel, Gauges, 6.0 Cooler, Ď08 Mirrors, RAS, Timbrens
post #3 of 6 Old 05-24-2018, 08:50 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfhedinn View Post
It looks like I have a one or more brake cylinders that have gone bad and need to be replaced. Should I just get some basic Autozone models? Motorcraft OEMS? or go with something with more gusto?

I also need to replace the trans fluid and was thinking of upgrading the cooler at the same time? If I do that I should track down a 6.0 cooler correct? 31 row? Recommendations? Part numbers I can google?

go to rockauto.com or Google xdp diesel and buy the dorman trans cooler from the 6.0l it knocked 25 degrees off my empty and loaded trans temps.

Also does it really matter if I use Royal purple vs Ford XT-5-5QM MERCON-V? The price is double...

If your transmission is not rebuilt just find dexmerc. mercon isn't made anymore and people have reported problems putting mercon IV and the newer ford trans fluid. I found dexmerc made by Valvoline at at walmart and napa for a great deal and I've drain the trans pan twice since I got the truck no issues.

thanks in advance.
I would check out the vendor section here and order a new pan gasket and filter for the transmission to. Im assuming you just want to drain the 8 quarts from the pan? if you have high mileage I would encourage you to do that and not flush your transmission etc. The 6.0l cooler has been a huge upgrade. you'll need some 1/2in appropriately rated hose, hose clamps and a 3/8 to 1/2in barbed adapter (can't quite remember the size but a quick google check makes quick work of that.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-24-2018, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
I would check out the vendor section here and order a new pan gasket and filter for the transmission to. Im assuming you just want to drain the 8 quarts from the pan? if you have high mileage I would encourage you to do that and not flush your transmission etc. The 6.0l cooler has been a huge upgrade. you'll need some 1/2in appropriately rated hose, hose clamps and a 3/8 to 1/2in barbed adapter (can't quite remember the size but a quick google check makes quick work of that.

Its was rebuilt at 120k and Im at 225k. Why not flush and only drain the pan?

2001 Silver F250SD PSD 4X4 (ACQUIRED 03/09/01)Tow Pkg, Camper Pkg, Off Road pkg, Husky Liners, Quantam Tinting, Duralast Gold, 35/12.5R16 Toyo M/T, 6" Lift, Fumoto Valve, MBRP 4" TB, Coolant Filter, 203* Thermostat, AFE Stage II w/ Pro Gaurd, 08 Diff Cover, Transgo Tugger, Mag-Hytec Tran Pan, Custom Battery Cables LLC, Riffraff Diesel AIH Delete Plug, RiffRaff CAC Boots, Riffraff Plenum Inserts, Riffraff HPX crossover
post #5 of 6 Old 05-24-2018, 01:45 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfhedinn View Post
Its was rebuilt at 120k and Im at 225k. Why not flush and only drain the pan?
Its just a recommendation but here is why:

When a transmission goes over service intervals and lets say above 150k miles the transmission works fine though right? Well this happens: A higher mileage trans is flushed and then it starts shifting funny, or slips and starts having issues... so here is what usually happens: The transmission fluid becomes soaked with clutch pack material that is essentially keeping the clutches from slipping. so when people flush they remove usually most if not all the fluid for fresh clean fluid that is no longer saturated with the material and it has been known more often then not to show slipping and other bad signs.

It doesn't happen to everyone but in my experience transmissions over 150k (especially trucks) I've had better longevity just draining the pan and replacing the filter at a regular interval etc. again I am not a transmission rebuilder but like I said quite a few times I've seen friends and other customers complain of slipping, overheating, after a flush on HIGH mileage transmissions.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #6 of 6 Old 05-29-2018, 07:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Garage
I can attest to what Justin said.

My dad never serviced his trans until 95k

I did it at 105k again and the fluid was much darker and had more material on the magnet.

It picked up more material with the introduction of fresh solvents in the new fluid.

Iíve done one more service since then and there was less material on the magnet and the fluid look better This last time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode