Detuning large injector nozzles - How to pick injector size for upgrades! - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 Old 08-17-2016, 12:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Also since you did custom tuning of your own ... I'm curious how you decided to tune it with the blower ... Were you conservative on the low rpm torque curve since you have the blower making the down low boost (aka connecting rod insurance lmao)

Swamps 300cc/400% sticks, SRP 1.1, Hypermax stage 1 cam, Comp Cams 910 units, DI chromoly pushrods, Crower billet rods, Mahle coated pistons with Spirolox pin retainers weight matched, Fully billet BTS transmission, 6.0 tranny cooler, CR racing aftermarket intercooler, Air Dog 150gph , Irate Diesel RR, Swamps IDM, H11 head studs and ARP main studs, Motor completely built by me and me only. Shes a true Cummins Killer
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Big Red Cheif FTW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 08-17-2016, 12:32 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
My tune is pulled back to a max of 1.8ms and 3000 ICP. I have not messed with the rpm fuel limits etc as at this detuned power level the factory forged rods should be ok and have been so far. I did build a 2.3ms tune but fuel pressure could not keep up (stock mechanical only) it had gobs of power but was very Smokey. Worse than a freight train. The ICP also was not dialed in for that tune. The 1.8ms tune is keeping it alive as it is my daily driver and I don't need 800 horses to get me to the grocery store. Right now it's probably 300-350 hp somewhere with the daily tune. I will be keeping it under 400hp unless I build a motor as reliability is a concern. I may build a fun 500 ish tune after I get more supporting mods done.

As for the blower the setup is not done yet. I have a S369 to install first. The TVS is only spinning to about 10,000 rpm @ 3500 and there is more on tap as the blowers maximum rpm is 19,000 rpms. Upgraded bearings would push that further. The blower is capable of 1400+ cfm. I have been running a blower for about 2 years now and have been happy with results.

97 4x4 Eaton supercharged 7.3, S369sxe R&D IDI performance T4 mount, my B350/200s, my tuning, honey badger SR hpop, efuel, Valair Ceramic single, BMW M3 bucket seats, SKY 5" RSK/Skyjacker TTB , SKY RFK & shackles, Toyo M/T

1948 GMC 4-53T Detroit, 1945 Chevy rat rod dually 4-51 Detroit, project mean green 8V53 Detroit, 1951 Mack A51T

Last edited by SuperchargedPSD; 08-17-2016 at 12:47 AM.
post #13 of 20 Old 08-17-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedPSD View Post
My tune is pulled back to a max of 1.8ms and 3000 ICP. I have not messed with the rpm fuel limits etc as at this detuned power level the factory forged rods should be ok and have been so far. I did build a 2.3ms tune but fuel pressure could not keep up (stock mechanical only) it had gobs of power but was very Smokey. Worse than a freight train. The ICP also was not dialed in for that tune. The 1.8ms tune is keeping it alive as it is my daily driver and I don't need 800 horses to get me to the grocery store. Right now it's probably 300-350 hp somewhere with the daily tune. I will be keeping it under 400hp unless I build a motor as reliability is a concern. I may build a fun 500 ish tune after I get more supporting mods done.

As for the blower the setup is not done yet. I have a S369 to install first. The TVS is only spinning to about 10,000 rpm @ 3500 and there is more on tap as the blowers maximum rpm is 19,000 rpms. Upgraded bearings would push that further. The blower is capable of 1400+ cfm. I have been running a blower for about 2 years now and have been happy with results.
Very detailed explanation I like that (: I completely understand keeping it at 400 or under for a daily it just gets to unpredictable after that IMO... Very cool that your blower ain't done blowin yet she got more on tap lol.. I was just asking the dyno question to see if you threw it on there just to see what she makes... She's probably somewhere in the 6-700 hp capable range is my guess and a lot more with nitrous ... That just gave me an idea ... A turbo , blower, and nitrous ... Hmmmmm

Swamps 300cc/400% sticks, SRP 1.1, Hypermax stage 1 cam, Comp Cams 910 units, DI chromoly pushrods, Crower billet rods, Mahle coated pistons with Spirolox pin retainers weight matched, Fully billet BTS transmission, 6.0 tranny cooler, CR racing aftermarket intercooler, Air Dog 150gph , Irate Diesel RR, Swamps IDM, H11 head studs and ARP main studs, Motor completely built by me and me only. Shes a true Cummins Killer
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Big Red Cheif FTW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 Old 08-17-2016, 04:04 PM

I may dyno it someday. It's not my main concern right now. Still a lot of work to do and I have too many other projects so it will get improved as time allows.

97 4x4 Eaton supercharged 7.3, S369sxe R&D IDI performance T4 mount, my B350/200s, my tuning, honey badger SR hpop, efuel, Valair Ceramic single, BMW M3 bucket seats, SKY 5" RSK/Skyjacker TTB , SKY RFK & shackles, Toyo M/T

1948 GMC 4-53T Detroit, 1945 Chevy rat rod dually 4-51 Detroit, project mean green 8V53 Detroit, 1951 Mack A51T
post #15 of 20 Old 08-17-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedPSD View Post
I may dyno it someday. It's not my main concern right now. Still a lot of work to do and I have too many other projects so it will get improved as time allows.
Awesome keep me updated ... Also kudos to you for doing everything yourself and throwing a damn roots blower on there.. Big achievement in my book (:

Big Red Cheif FTW
post #16 of 20 Old 08-17-2016, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Good info in the first post. We constantly have guys asking us to detune 250/200 injectors for a bone stock truck. I am always having to explain the reason it does not work well. Sure, you can pull back fuel, but in doing so you get some side effects, as explained above.

I agree with the statement of choosing your injector for your trucks purpose. Towing heavy, don't go with huge hybrids. Building a pull truck, feel free to go with huge hybrids.

Also, matching the injectors with a proper turbo is key! I think this is the biggest issue to get through to people, at least in my experience.
post #17 of 20 Old 08-18-2016, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3 powerchoke View Post
Awesome keep me updated ... Also kudos to you for doing everything yourself and throwing a damn roots blower on there.. Big achievement in my book (:
I have other toys to drive if I needed but it is my daily driver. Which sometimes can be fun but it's a rolling project that does not rest very many days a year. I have to plan to take the truck down for a day or whatever and get it back together asap.

Last edited by SuperchargedPSD; 08-18-2016 at 12:05 AM.
post #18 of 20 Old 10-29-2016, 05:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Curious to see what you would recommend for stage 1.5 injectors and turbo? I am seeing a lot of 38rs recommended. Looking at upgrading a few things on my truck. I pull around 15k bout once a month. Other then that it bout 3k in the bed going 400 plus miles to jobs. She has 290k on her. Bout to pull her to do the dreaded oil pan and figured its a good time to clean her up and do upgrades. I've read that injectors are good for about 300k in a diesel so i am thinking I am close enough might as well do it now. Thanks for the original post. That helped out ALOT!
post #19 of 20 Old 10-29-2016, 11:02 PM

Look at the KC turbo option that CNC sells and a 160/30 seems to be a happy choice. P.I.S. injectors also seem to be a quality choice.
strokin-7.3 likes this.

post #20 of 20 Old 10-30-2016, 06:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
What supercharged said, 160/30's and the kc38r would be excellent. Only reason I have a 38r over the KC version is KC hadn't come out with theirs yet.

-Kris

01 cclb f-350 srw-463hp/1025ftlbs PHP Dyno (extreme tune)
leveled with 285's on 17'' XD Spy's
Autometer gauges (boost, trans, egt, fuel)
4'' straight pipe
DIY 6637
Powerstruck 160/30's
Hydra-Powerstruck and Dan K tunes
38r
CNCFab fuel & hpop lines
Sam Wyse stage 2 trans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Why delete something thats truthful? Paid vendor status isnt like the mafia youre not paying for protection from negative feedback here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode