Coolant Smells Like Paint - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-02-2015, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant Smells Like Paint

I just replaced the coolant cap (because powerstrokehelp Bill told me to ) and noticed a smell like I just opened a can of paint. The coolant level is right where it has been but I've noticed a thin layer of particles floating near the surface in the reservoir.

I had planned to do a full flush and switch to ELC. I bought the truck a month ago so I have no idea of the maintenance history. There is a coolant filtration kit installed.

I'm hoping it's not injector cups as I've had a run of bad luck with vehicles lately. Any suggestions of where to go from here? Should I be concerned in the first place?

Thanks

2000 ECLB 4x4 7.3L PSD - Converted from a beat up XL farm truck and frame off restored thanks to New England road salt
Cosmetic: 05 Harley front end, 11 tailgate, black sport full power interior, 05 dash with aux switches and brake controller
Performance: AFE intake, SPX billet compressor wheel, Turbomaster wastegate, blank pedestal & exhaust housing, MBRP 5" exhaust, PHP Hydra, gauges and CTS2
Audio: Sony XAV-AX5000, JBL Club speakers, fully sound deadened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-02-2015, 05:24 PM
Your Local Windex Brewer

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Have you pulled the filter off of the coolant filter?
Check there first, that will show if there is anything in the system.
Are the particles solid or do they look like bubbles?

2015 F350 SRW CCSB Lariat - Stock, for now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 F350 SRW CCSB FX4 - Airaid CAI, FloPro 5" straight pipe, Egr delete with BD intake elbow, SCT X4 with tunes from Tyrant Diesel, Monitored by CTS, Fox 2.0s. - SOLD
-Matthew

post #3 of 6 Old 01-02-2015, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Is this something common? I have a 6.7L and have heard other folks talk about different odors but the Paint smell is a new one. What causes this?

Larry
2015 F-350 CCLB DRW, Lariat Ultimate,
2nd Gen. 6.7L "Scorpion" Turbo Diesel,
440HP/860TQ, Torque Shift 6-speed,
Tuxedo Black W/Charcoal Black Int.,
14,000 LB GVWR,
3:73 Gears W/Limited Slip,
17" Polished Forge Alum. Wheels,
BFG All-Terrain Tires,
Factory 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Prep Pkg.,
Spray In Bed-Liner,
Supplemental Cab Heater,
Camper Pkg.,
Chrome Pkg.,
FX4-Off Road Pkg.,
Upfitter Switches,
Engine Block Heater,
9025 Lbs. on the CAT Scales.

"Mack Daddy Scorpion!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-02-2015, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

I will check the filter tomorrow.

Looking again, I'd describe it as more of a reddish cloud. There is a definite layer of this about 2mm thick floating on top of the coolant.

2000 ECLB 4x4 7.3L PSD - Converted from a beat up XL farm truck and frame off restored thanks to New England road salt
Cosmetic: 05 Harley front end, 11 tailgate, black sport full power interior, 05 dash with aux switches and brake controller
Performance: AFE intake, SPX billet compressor wheel, Turbomaster wastegate, blank pedestal & exhaust housing, MBRP 5" exhaust, PHP Hydra, gauges and CTS2

post #5 of 6 Old 01-02-2015, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Stroker 8" View Post
Is this something common? I have a 6.7L and have heard other folks talk about different odors but the Paint smell is a new one. What causes this?
That's the best way I can think to describe it, though others may call it something else. I knew it smelled like something I'd encountered before and my father came up with the "paint" label.

I'm thinking its the smell of diesel in the coolant but want to make sure before assuming the worst. Like I said, I've had a terrible run of luck with my vehicles lately and an injector cup job is gonna kill me, so I'm hoping someone has better news

post #6 of 6 Old 01-02-2015, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Dan View Post
That's the best way I can think to describe it, though others may call it something else. I knew it smelled like something I'd encountered before and my father came up with the "paint" label.

I'm thinking its the smell of diesel in the coolant but want to make sure before assuming the worst. Like I said, I've had a terrible run of luck with my vehicles lately and an injector cup job is gonna kill me, so I'm hoping someone has better news
I hope it isn't as bad as all that Bro, I will keep my Diesel smelling fingers crossed for ya.

Larry
2015 F-350 CCLB DRW, Lariat Ultimate,
2nd Gen. 6.7L "Scorpion" Turbo Diesel,
440HP/860TQ, Torque Shift 6-speed,
Tuxedo Black W/Charcoal Black Int.,
14,000 LB GVWR,
3:73 Gears W/Limited Slip,
17" Polished Forge Alum. Wheels,
BFG All-Terrain Tires,
Factory 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Prep Pkg.,
Spray In Bed-Liner,
Supplemental Cab Heater,
Camper Pkg.,
Chrome Pkg.,
FX4-Off Road Pkg.,
Upfitter Switches,
Engine Block Heater,
9025 Lbs. on the CAT Scales.

"Mack Daddy Scorpion!"
The Following User Says Thank You to "Stroker 8" For This Useful Post:
Lt.Dan (01-02-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode