Rough Idle on Possible Purchase - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-15-2014, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rough Idle on Possible Purchase

I've found a truck that appears to be in good condition but runs rough. It is a 2000 7.3 with 97k. The current owner used it to commute to his office that was a mile from his house and has only put on 1k a year for the past 2 years. He assumes the truck needs injectors due to the lack of use. The truck is priced right and the owner has a new truck so I think I can get a very good deal on it.

Is this a likely cause and explanation? What else could need replacing due to this low use?

And if I do buy it, what maintenance items would you immediately address (beyond the typical ones for any used vehicle)?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-15-2014, 05:50 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
First change the fuel filter, then have the tank dropped and cleaned, I just had my trucks tanked dropped and the pick up foot was broken off and the 2 filters in the tank where plugged up also, now that those are clean it idle's really well now. Also check the ICP, it is located on the driver side cylinder head near the front, pop off the plug and check for oil, I also had too change mine, and it also helped with the way the truck ran.

Ask the PO if he ever added any fuel additive, if not run some Diesel Kleen in the tank for a few tank full's, this will help clear the injectors.

If you do buy the truck, change ALL the fluids,
oil and filter
Fuel filter
Coolant flush
Transmission flush, and filter
Rear gear lube
Power steering flush
Replace the air filter (Airaid, S&B, AFE)

I'm sure I missed something but someone else will catch it.

2001 7.3L CCSRW 4X4
2003 7.3L CCDRW
S&B intake, 4" Flo-Pro Exhaust
ISSPRO EGT/Transmission. Edge SCT2
PHP Hydra chip's
2015 Heartland Prowler
The Following User Says Thank You to hansel For This Useful Post:
Lt.Dan (08-15-2014)
post #3 of 6 Old 08-15-2014, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Good advice, I hadn't thought to check the tank pickups.
If there is oil on the ICP, should it just be changed for a new one or is there a reason oil got to it? (ie. seals/gaskets to replace also). Sorry, I understand the function of the ICP sensor, just not how it actually integrates.

I'm hoping to buy the truck priced for a full injector job but was hoping to try some additive and maybe get lucky, as you said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-15-2014, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Dan View Post
Good advice, I hadn't thought to check the tank pickups.
If there is oil on the ICP, should it just be changed for a new one or is there a reason oil got to it? (ie. seals/gaskets to replace also). Sorry, I understand the function of the ICP sensor, just not how it actually integrates.

I'm hoping to buy the truck priced for a full injector job but was hoping to try some additive and maybe get lucky, as you said.
Yes, change the ICP if it has oil in the connector it's bad. You will need a 5/8" crow's foot too remove the old on if it's the original stock one, and you will need a 1 1/16" socket for the new one, and it take's like 10 minutes too swap out.

2001 7.3L CCSRW 4X4
2003 7.3L CCDRW
S&B intake, 4" Flo-Pro Exhaust
ISSPRO EGT/Transmission. Edge SCT2
PHP Hydra chip's
2015 Heartland Prowler
post #5 of 6 Old 08-15-2014, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 1218 Post(s)
Quoted: 1459 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Dan View Post
I've found a truck that appears to be in good condition but runs rough. It is a 2000 7.3 with 97k. The current owner used it to commute to his office that was a mile from his house and has only put on 1k a year for the past 2 years. He assumes the truck needs injectors due to the lack of use. The truck is priced right and the owner has a new truck so I think I can get a very good deal on it.

Is this a likely cause and explanation? What else could need replacing due to this low use?

And if I do buy it, what maintenance items would you immediately address (beyond the typical ones for any used vehicle)?

Thanks
Just remove the ICP sensor and start it. If it runs better, then you know the culprit. It could be injectors, it could be an injector harness, stuck ebpv, filters, etc.

If the owner will let you, take it to a known good shop that knows the 7.3 fairly well and just have them scan for codes, do an injector buzz test, cylinder contribution test, and take it for a drive with live diagnostics to see what your oil pressures are, lpop and hpop, hpop duty cycle.

[SIZE="3"]For all your ford powerstroke needs. If you dont see what you are looking for on the website, please use the contact page and shoot us a message or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Part numbers will help alot too if they are not on our site.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:
Lt.Dan (08-15-2014)
post #6 of 6 Old 08-15-2014, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Excellent info from everyone here, thank you for that. The truck is about 2hrs away from me so I will have to locate a good shop. (western MA, if anyone knows the area)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode