Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

What did you do to your 7.3 Today?

2M views 27K replies 1K participants last post by  GETFURIOUS 
#1 ·
Well I know the 6.4 guys have a thread like this but I've never seen one for us 7.3 guys, so I figured I would start one.

So like the title says what did you do to you 7.3 today? Maintenance, performance, washed the windows, whatever.

I tested the coolant and found that it was in need of a DCA additive in the coolant. So I went to the truck stop and got a pint of DCA and a 5" band clamp. Put about half the pint in the resivor and I'll see if its any better tomorow. As far as the band clamp goes, I finally got around to fixing my tip that was held on with 3 tack welds and got a good clean clamp on it.

So what did yall do?

#24,582 ·
I've had my Mazama tires for a week now. I'm liking these tires. Continue to be quiet & stable...this has been on dry pavement. Today, it started intermittently raining. These tires stuck. In turns, taking off from a stop. Sometimes, the Toyos would break loose on take off, sometimes slip a bit in turns @ intersections. The rain is heavier tonight and is supposed to be tomorrow. Looking to see what these tires do.

#24,583 ·
Pulled the travel trailer to Lake of the Ozarks for an extended weekend. While there the truck had a few hiccups. Stopped at a Purcell Tire and they were nice enough to do a quick scan. Didn't come up with anything. I changed out the fuel filter which I don't think made any difference. I had a new cps in the glove box so I changed that out. Hasn't hiccupped since. Hopefully that was that.

#24,584 ·
Geeze guys, been a rough week for the ol 7.3. Last Monday I replaced the blown u joint, had the rear brake line fail on my trip over the weekend, and just yesterday the truck was pulling right under braking! Pulled driver side caliper and upper slide pin was seized. Wtf. I cleaned it up and got it back together but gonna buy two pairs. I see there is an "upgrade" on the caliper slide pins, what does they upgrade (rubber on bottom of one pin" do exactly?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#24,585 ·
Had the noise up front going again. Got it checked again and my original suspicion was correct--carrier bearing went bad. Since the Ford place I had it done at couldn't see me until the 30th (warranty work), I ended up paying $130 to get it replaced. Carrier bearing was only one year and 40k miles old.:frown2:

#24,586 · (Edited)
I'm leaving Friday on a towing trip to Colorado...... I ordered a new sender unit for it just now; it probably won't be here in time for this trip.....
Well, the sender came in today, but I didn't leave for this trip. I'll install the sender over the weekend. This was a gig relocating a 21' electric boat (called "Duffys", very popular as booze-cruisers in Southern California marine communities) from SoCal to a new location in Colorado with a different member of the same family. One of the family members is the OO of my truck. Hence the tie-in to the gig.

The boat fit the trailer like azz. I took the trailer and boat back to the trailer shop today. The foreman said "this boat is not what this trailer is for. Something got mixed up. We'll probably build a complete new trailer rather than cut this one up to make it fit. It will be a few more weeks".

But I got to drive my big truck 100 miles today doing what it does best: Pulling on stuff. I love my big truck.

#24,587 ·
I changed the trans temp sender. I have doubts that the sender is the problem. May be the gauge. I'll know the next time I drive it.

Last week I helped a longtime friend fix his FJ60. He also has a 2000 F350, and during conversation I mentioned I had busted my RH mirror the first time I tried to park it in my yard 7 years ago. He had broken his LH mirror when his truck was new and bought a pair. So he gave me his RH take-off. I had to change the connector, but other than that about a ten minute project. The parts sat on my bench less than a couple of days before I put them on the truck. New record for me. It's usually months.

#24,588 ·
been working on 7.3l version 2.0.

Attachments

Reactions: ames485
#24,589 ·
took my pickup to get the tires balanced and rotated only to find out one rear wheel was bent (slightly not really bad). had them put it back on the rear and now looking at finding a replacement but not many for the oval 5 slot wheels around here in ND. Found a guy with a full set of newer 17's and thinking i might have to go that way. They are the 8 round hole wheels and not the 5 oval which I like. oh well, i guess they'll work to get it back on the road. LOL

#24,592 ·
Looks like you guys have been busy on the 7.3s.

Inspected all my calipers and slide pins trying to hunt down this brake pull issue. No more were siezed, but most were dry. Greased them all, felt like maybe driver side caliper was slightly harder to compress pistons back in, doubt that it was enough to cause brake pull.

It's a little better, but I think it might still be there. Pulls right under decently hard braking. Seems to be more pronounced if I am turning left and brake hard.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#24,593 ·
https://youtu.be/CLZdByBDr0Y

test fired it, should be able to take it for a test deive my next days off . glad to hear my $500 E99 long block runs and has no blow by. boy am i tired. oh the smoke from the rear of the front tire is the egt hole(the sensor isnt re- installed yet

ton of work
new rear main
new injector cups
new rad/fan/clutch fan
dorman bellowed uppipes
all my 02 turbo stuff and 180cc injectors
new jnjector orings
new oil cooler from 02 block and resealed.

cant wait to drive her again.
wish the 02 motor lasted longer than 228k, still makes me sad the blocked cracked on it in the 1st place.

#24,596 ·
Did the Eighthsixd spring in the dually, and WOW!!!!! Between the new KC turbo, the CNCFAB oil crossover line the truck is running amazing, I can not wait to tow the 5th wheel now that I have made these upgrades.

#24,598 ·
I have 4 gallons rotella T6 15w-40 synthetic in the garage and I’m trying out a wix 1734XE. Filters down to 10 microns instead of 18-20 like the factory MC filter. Now I just need to drive 3k more miles

Shoutout to @Justin009 for grabbing me 2 gallons of the 15w-40 from out of town. It’s new and hard to find

#24,599 ·
I have 4 gallons rotella T6 15w-40 synthetic in the garage and I’m trying out a wix 1734XE. Filters down to 10 microns instead of 18-20 like the factory MC filter. Now I just need to drive 3k more miles

Shoutout to @Justin009 for grabbing me 2 gallons of the 15w-40 from out of town. It’s new and hard to find
If you get a bypass filter, you can get down to 1 micron. 10 isn't bad for a full flow filter though :wink:

#24,600 ·
I debated a oil bypass. But i don’t want another oil leak.

Ya 10 microns is great for a full flow...it was a whopping 40 bucks for the filter lol

I should have bought it in town at cost lol