Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

What did you do to your 7.3 Today?

2M views 27K replies 1K participants last post by  GETFURIOUS 
#1 ·
Well I know the 6.4 guys have a thread like this but I've never seen one for us 7.3 guys, so I figured I would start one.

So like the title says what did you do to you 7.3 today? Maintenance, performance, washed the windows, whatever.

I tested the coolant and found that it was in need of a DCA additive in the coolant. So I went to the truck stop and got a pint of DCA and a 5" band clamp. Put about half the pint in the resivor and I'll see if its any better tomorow. As far as the band clamp goes, I finally got around to fixing my tip that was held on with 3 tack welds and got a good clean clamp on it.

So what did yall do?

#23,761 ·
Sorry to hear about that SuperCruty.
I hope it all works out.

#23,762 ·
Ask bill cohron on Facebook.

He is the owner and maybe he can help you out.

Does the FU take tunes like TS chips?
Ya, he replied to me. It's not supported and I can't get it updated like I could before.

Note sure if its the same as a TS or not

Maybe next year I'll get a Hydra or maybe just run it as is. I don't need any special tunes, so the Hydra wouldn't really gain me much other than something else to fiddle with in my truck.

#23,763 ·
I'm thinking so as well. And it was way discinnected, supposed to be way further up. Part of me wants to throw a quarter in there and slap it back together lol.

Buzz test sounds good but still shows #7 high to low. No CEL, just what forscan shows after test. Started it with valve cover off and it was fine. Do you have to clear idm codes a different way?

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk
I did my UCVH, 8 glow plugs, new valve cover all at the same time. Also I torqued the injector hold down bolts and rocker arm pedestal bolts. The new OEM harness has a better clip retention system so you don't even need the 50 cent mod. My wires after 250k and being cover in oil and that many heat cycles were very brittle. I would recommend doing it all at the same time using OEM parts, buy once cry once is my theory lol

Bottom is old and crusty

#23,764 ·
Replaced the starter this morning, old one is only about 6mos Napa one. Go to start the truck this morning to go to work all it does is clip . Check things out good batteries, can't make it crank by jumping sol on fender. So pull the starter , run to Napa , gives me a new one , no testing or questions other then whats it doing . Put it on and boom fires right up. Good thing is a Lifetime warranty. So guess the extra cost was worth it. ( do get a shop discount though which helps a lot.)

#23,765 ·
@supercrustyps sorry to hear about the accident, always a bummer. Good you are okay. Is this a situation where it would make sense to get a couple real wold examples of what it would cost to replace your truck? What they are valued at through somethings compared to reality are quite different so maybe arming yourself with some data could sway some opinion.

I did my UCVH, 8 glow plugs, new valve cover all at the same time. Also I torqued the injector hold down bolts and rocker arm pedestal bolts. The new OEM harness has a better clip retention system so you don't even need the 50 cent mod. My wires after 250k and being cover in oil and that many heat cycles were very brittle. I would recommend doing it all at the same time using OEM parts, buy once cry once is my theory lol

Bottom is old and crusty
Ya, Justin convinced me to just go for it. Got a sweet package from riff raff today actually. Both valve covers are off, driver side looked okay but no turning back. That back bolt on the driver side valve cover really made me work to get it out!

You happen to know those torque specs off the top of your head? I saw them in one of the 100 threads I read but didn't note them lol.

And I realized how dirty my valley is under the spider. Never ending!

#23,766 ·
Sorry about the accident, it always stressful because you know the trucks older so you don't want some willy-nilly adjuster saying total it. If it makes you feel better, Sep of last year a lady texting and driving t boned the wife and I in Fresno. no frame damage but still over $5600 damage and they didn't total the truck. I was very surprised. Yours being similar yr but just little higher miles id bet you get lucky and get it fixed.
ALL ACCIDENTS SUCK.....BUT GETTING THROUGH THEM WITHOUT PHYSICAL INJURY IS THE IMPORTANT PART.....

AS FOR YOUR TRUCK....."IF" THEY TOTAL IT.....IN MOST STATES.....YOU CAN STILL KEEP THE TRUCK AND GET IT FIXED.....I KNOW THAT ON SOME THINGS CALIFORNIA IS A LITTLE DIFFERENT.....BUT THE INSURANCE COMPANY WILL HOLD BACK PART OF THE PAYOFF IF YOU KEEP THE TRUCK.....BUT YOU CAN KEEP ITu.....GET IT FIXED AND DRIVE ON DOWN THE ROAD.....

GOOD LUCK.....
Super bummed for you. Hope you get it sorted. For what it’s worth, I hit a bus last year and did $7k damage to my 2002 and they didn’t total it. I had the same worry but they set it right. Hopefully you are as fortunate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sorry to hear about that SuperCruty.
I hope it all works out.

Thanks all! I appeciate the encouragement. After the day and talking to the insurance, I'm feeling a bit more relaxed about it. I'm hoping all will be well with my "Ol' Guy" again.

#23,767 ·
@supercrustyps sorry to hear about the accident, always a bummer. Good you are okay. Is this a situation where it would make sense to get a couple real wold examples of what it would cost to replace your truck? What they are valued at through somethings compared to reality are quite different so maybe arming yourself with some data could sway some opinion.

Ya, Justin convinced me to just go for it. Got a sweet package from riff raff today actually. Both valve covers are off, driver side looked okay but no turning back. That back bolt on the driver side valve cover really made me work to get it out!

You happen to know those torque specs off the top of your head? I saw them in one of the 100 threads I read but didn't note them lol.

Valve cover tq spec? 6ft lbs

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

#23,768 ·
Valve cover tq spec? 6ft lbs

—————signature—————
Well that too! More talking about injector hold down bolts and rocker arm bolts.

#23,769 ·
Well that too! More talking about injector hold down bolts and rocker arm bolts.

Retaining bolt 10 ft/lbs
Oil deflector 9 ft/lbs
GP 14 ft/lbs
Rocker arm 20 ft/lbs
Valve cover 6 ft/lbs

—————signature—————

#23,770 ·
If the valley is caked up it might be EBPV. I deleted mine during some turbo work and replacing up-pipes. Pretty simple and don’t think I’ll ever need it.

Bottom is old and crusty

#23,771 ·
Thanks all! I appeciate the encouragement. After the day and talking to the insurance, I'm feeling a bit more relaxed about it. I'm hoping all will be well with my "Ol' Guy" again.
Yes, sir, hate to hear about the accident. Of course, the main thing is you and/or y'all are OK. Hopefully, you'll get your truck back and it will be good as or better than new.

#23,772 ·

Bottom is old and crusty
Ok. :thumb: on the UCVH, valve cover gasket, and glow plugs. That's a PM project I plan on doing to mine twixt now and summer. I know to use Motorcraft parts for more-or less everything but I have a question regarding the Motorcraft UCVH and valve cover gasket:
Dorman (please, hear me out) has an updated design that eliminates the plug on the inside of the valve cover. To me, it makes sense as there is no way for it to come loose like the OEM stuff was notorious for doing (hence the quarter trick). Does anyone have experience, negative or positive, with the Dorman design valve cover gasket? As most, and I forget who said earlier; "buy once, cry once" "but only do it once". I could not agree more so trying to plan out the best way ahead of time. Money isn't the question; the best product is. Any help would be appreciated.

#23,773 ·
Any collision is not good, but glad no one was hurt.
Also glad to hear the conversation with your insurance went somewhat well.

#23,774 ·
Thanks DC!
If the valley is caked up it might be EBPV. I deleted mine during some turbo work and replacing up-pipes. Pretty simple and don’t think I’ll ever need it.
It definitely could be, I'm leaning toward turbo pedestal but most likely going to tear turbo out at some point for a wicked wheel (I get turbo surge) and try to address the leak then. Looking like I will do hpop lines and fuel bowl reseal at the same time.

It's hard, I know I don't need the ebv especially being in california, but I might be 1 of the 10 people that actually like hearing it close and kick into high idle itself. Always thought that was cool lol. I know it will still do high idle, but my thought is if it's not a problem why delete it. Will have to think about that before I decide what to do

Ok. :thumb: on the UCVH, valve cover gasket, and glow plugs. That's a PM project I plan on doing to mine twixt now and summer. I know to use Motorcraft parts for more-or less everything but I have a question regarding the Motorcraft UCVH and valve cover gasket:
Dorman (please, hear me out) has an updated design that eliminates the plug on the inside of the valve cover. To me, it makes sense as there is no way for it to come loose like the OEM stuff was notorious for doing (hence the quarter trick). Does anyone have experience, negative or positive, with the Dorman design valve cover gasket? As most, and I forget who said earlier; "buy once, cry once" "but only do it once". I could not agree more so trying to plan out the best way ahead of time. Money isn't the question; the best product is. Any help would be appreciated.
I have no experience with any of this but I would honestly rather do oem harness with the 50c mod over a Dorman harness. Just too much bad rep on the Web about them. Some attribute their OBS trucks burning down because of them, although I Don't think that is much of an issue on super dutys. Supposedly the new oem harness have better clips, I'll let you know when I open my riff raff box tonight.

#23,776 ·
I reinstalled the overhead computer.
It went on a vacation to Florida and came back all fresh and ready for action (Ebay guy that fixes them).

#23,777 ·
I reinstalled the overhead computer.
It went on a vacation to Florida and came back all fresh and ready for action (Ebay guy that fixes them).
I found some DIY youtube videos and fixed my own. I figured it was worth a try and it wasnt hard at all.

Reactions: GETFURIOUS
#23,778 ·
I found some DIY youtube videos and fixed my own. I figured it was worth a try and it wasnt hard at all.
Have you priced these things? I didn't want to chance screwing it up

#23,779 ·
My overhead deal has the dim digits too. I've read the threads, watched the videos. So I took it out and apart. I can see exactly where the resistor fell off, but I could not find the loose part. In all those threads and vids, no one bothered to put up the value of the resistor that falls off. So without knowing what to put on the board, I put it back up and don't pay much attention to it, be3cause I can't read it. Because I have a 58 gallon fuel tank, the fuel range info is inaccurate, and the Gear Vendors messes up the MPG calculation. The only thing I use is the outside temperature. I can look out the window and know if I need to grab my jacket before I get out.

I didn't know there is an outside source to fix these. Cool.

#23,780 ·
My overhead deal has the dim digits too. I've read the threads, watched the videos. So I took it out and apart. I can see exactly where the resistor fell off, but I could not find the loose part. In all those threads and vids, no one bothered to put up the value of the resistor that falls off. So without knowing what to put on the board, I put it back up and don't pay much attention to it, be3cause I can't read it. Because I have a 58 gallon fuel tank, the fuel range info is inaccurate, and the Gear Vendors messes up the MPG calculation. The only thing I use is the outside temperature. I can look out the window and know if I need to grab my jacket before I get out.

I didn't know there is an outside source to fix these. Cool.
I DID MINE AWHILE AGO.....AND I BELIEVE THAT ONE OF THE VIDEOS THAT I WATCHED "DID" SAY WHAT THE RESISTOR VALUE WAS.....IF I CAN FIND IT AGAIN.....I WILL SEND YOU THE LINK.....