Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

What did you do to your 7.3 Today?

2M views 27K replies 1K participants last post by  GETFURIOUS 
#1 ·
Well I know the 6.4 guys have a thread like this but I've never seen one for us 7.3 guys, so I figured I would start one.

So like the title says what did you do to you 7.3 today? Maintenance, performance, washed the windows, whatever.

I tested the coolant and found that it was in need of a DCA additive in the coolant. So I went to the truck stop and got a pint of DCA and a 5" band clamp. Put about half the pint in the resivor and I'll see if its any better tomorow. As far as the band clamp goes, I finally got around to fixing my tip that was held on with 3 tack welds and got a good clean clamp on it.

So what did yall do?

#21,741 · (Edited)
@sbluke55 well I had time to really test out the SDK tune for a good 800miles.

It idles a lot better than my old tunes. Maybe this is true b/c ipr hovers 13-13.5 and maybe that’s the sweet spot - who knows!

Transmission still engages a little rough and sometimes when I really step into it, “thunk” isn’t something I like to feel.

Edit: just got two files well see how it shifts now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21,742 ·
Went to a remote shooting range with my two oldest Grandkids, my Son and family friend. Tried out my son's new gun, shot some down range targets with my Dad's rifle. Also broke out my CO2-powered BB pistol.

Good thing I had the truck. Part of the route took us over a pretty rough dirt/gravel/muddy road depending on what section. So, the truck is a bit muddy and the ride was bouncy, but the "Ol' Guy" handled it very well and...we had a great time. So, what else could I need? Right?

#21,744 ·
I replaced both front headlight assemblies to freshen things up.
Purchased this one (click here) from 1AAuto
When I went to adjust the beams I covered them individually and found this......

passenger side - has a nice even flow of horizontal light
drivers side - has a very bright focused area almost like a spotlight

The pics show both headlights on simultaneously but you can clearly see the difference.

Any one else experience this ?

Attachments

Reactions: SuperCrutyPS
#21,746 ·
@oilcan1001 - I like the new headights, but spread on the driver's side seems too narrow. I have similar lights that don't do that. I would get a hold of 1AAuto about the light spread fo the headlignts to see what they say. I've found they have excellent customer service.

#21,747 ·
Thanks SuperCruty.
I already sent them email and sent a pm to the rep here.

Just waiting for response.

Reactions: SuperCrutyPS
#21,751 ·
Anyone have any black stone reports after using the ck4 stuff Ford through a fit about?
I doubt you'll see anything in a CK analysis. If you're concerned about the Delo CK because it didn't meet Ford's approval, why did you buy Delo instead of a product that does meet approval? I was able to find and stockpile 12 gallons of the Delo CJ. That's 3-4 years including make-up oil. the way I use my truck. I figure in three years, Delo will meet Ford's approvals. Or the CK will have been replaced by CL and we'll be having this discussion all over again. Who knows...........

#21,752 ·

Attachments

#21,754 ·
Anyone have any black stone reports after using the ck4 stuff Ford through a fit about?
I doubt you'll see anything in a CK analysis. If you're concerned about the Delo CK because it didn't meet Ford's approval, why did you buy Delo instead of a product that does meet approval? I was able to find and stockpile 12 gallons of the Delo CJ. That's 3-4 years including make-up oil. the way I use my truck. I figure in three years, Delo will meet Ford's approvals. Or the CK will have been replaced by CL and we'll be having this discussion all over again. Who knows...........
No stores in my area sell any Ford approved stuff except rotell synthetic at over $20 a gallon or the Travellers conventional at Tractor supply. And the fuss regarding ck4 seemed to have died down.

But then I wondered if anyone ever actually got any analysis done on the ck4 stuff to either remove or add worry about it. I have had to make some extra runs to town lately so doesn’t add any time/money to my usual planned trips tomorrow to swap for travellers or see how the ck4 stuff runs...

#21,755 ·
Question is what happened?!

Towing my trailer with offroad truck on it up the Grapevine, got past the big part of the hill, heard the turbo shutdown and thought I lost a boot until I pulled over and the truck was off and wouldn't restart. Had a spare CPS and changed that thinking it was the culprit. Still wouldnt start, messed around for 40 minutes and decided to call AAA and let my friend know I wasnt going to make it. Gave it another try and it actually fired up! Got another 5 minutes down the road and it did it again so threw in the towel. On the way home my dad and I were betting it would start once we got back (sense it appeared to be something getting hot and not working) and sure as ever, it fired up like nothing was wrong when we got back.

Played with it a little today while having Torque hooked up to it. Died very early after turning it on, but quickly started again and idled for 10 minutes no issue. Hot rodded it around and got it to repeat the issue, and was able to see IPR duty cycle shoot up to 65% while ICP was only showing 180 PSI during no start condition. Between last night and this morning research, I knew that if this happened it was pointing towards a failing IPR. ICP had some oil in it so am going to replace both I think. Did have a CEL earlier in the week that shut off Friday night, but it was for #7 glowplug so i dont THINK that is related, is kind of odd it turned off though.

Been there, done that :(
Horrible feeling right?? :crying:

What a show off Jeez!!!

Lol been there done that +++

That CCLB DRW on that rollover is no joke!!!

#21,756 · (Edited)
Towing my trailer with offroad truck on it up the Grapevine, got past the big part of the hill, heard the turbo shutdown and thought I lost a boot until I pulled over and the truck was off and wouldn't restart. Had a spare CPS and changed that thinking it was the culprit. Still wouldnt start, messed around for 40 minutes and decided to call AAA and let my friend know I wasnt going to make it. Gave it another try and it actually fired up! Got another 5 minutes down the road and it did it again so threw in the towel. On the way home my dad and I were betting it would start once we got back (sense it appeared to be something getting hot and not working) and sure as ever, it fired up like nothing was wrong when we got back.

Played with it a little today while having Torque hooked up to it. Died very early after turning it on, but quickly started again and idled for 10 minutes no issue. Hot rodded it around and got it to repeat the issue, and was able to see IPR duty cycle shoot up to 65% while ICP was only showing 180 PSI during no start condition. Between last night and this morning research, I knew that if this happened it was pointing towards a failing IPR. ICP had some oil in it so am going to replace both I think. Did have a CEL earlier in the week that shut off Friday night, but it was for #7 glowplug so i dont THINK that is related, is kind of odd it turned off though.

Horrible feeling right?? :crying:

That CCLB DRW on that rollover is no joke!!!

Lol he was hauling *** towing it to my mechanic that eventually f@@@ me royally with chitty work (had to fix a list of chit after I received it)

Okay I know you didn’t ask but icp is hanging at 180 - that’s the reason you Can’t start your truck till it cools down a bit. When your ipr is commanding higher icp via pcm and ain’t getting it, ipr slowl increases etc ——>it’s being commanded but icp can only produce >200psi. You have a bad ipr b/c it’s being hung open and bypassing oil into the oil pan and not allowing the production of pressure.

#21,758 ·
Lol he was hauling *** towing it to my mechanic that eventually f@@@ me royally with chitty work (had to fix a list of chit after I received it)

Okay I know you didn’t ask but icp is hanging at 180 - that’s the reason you Can’t start your truck till it cools down a bit. When your ipr is commanding higher icp via pcm and ain’t getting it, ipr slowl increases etc ——>it’s being commanded but icp can only produce >200psi. You have a bad ipr b/c it’s being hung open and bypassing oil into the oil pan and not allowing the production of pressure.
That tow ride sounds....uncomfortable :taze:

And no worries I totally appreciate the input! Definitely the ICP being 180 is why its not starting, needs about 450 psi to fire injectors is my understanding. I think we are talking about the same situation, but I thought the PCM is telling the system it needs more ICP, and adjust the IPR accordingly. At 180 PSI, PCM says it needs more and maxes the IPR out at 65% trying to get more ICP but the IPR cant deliver (or I guess, let the HPOP deliver) since it is hung up or the electromagnet let go after it gets warm. Are we saying the same thing? LOL. Again appreciate the input!

I do believe the IPR to be the culprit. I was just going to change the ICP as well since even though it appears to be working correctly, there is some oil in the pigtail which indicates its on its way out?

Had this happen a while back. Changed out the IPR. I think that was all it would take but with over 250000 on the clock I went ahead and replaced the pump as well. Good luck with the repair.

Thanks for chiming in! I was thinking about starting my own thread but with all the research I am relatively confident the IPR is the culprit, and with the addition of yourself and @DieselDC suggesting it is the IPR I am now very confident about that being it. Some threads I have read suggest the ICP being that low with 65% IPR duty cycle is the "classic symptoms" of the IPR going out during a no start condition when at temperature. Truck has around 215K on it. ICP did hit around 2700/2800 max so I think HPOP is good.

Currently trying to find the best deal on OEM parts, they are pricey but I cant have this happen again. I was trying to take my old man out in my offroad truck, he was excited to hang with me and my buds and offroad in a place he is very interested in checking out, and the tow rig $h!t all over that plan. Unacceptable. It became very personal LOL!

So do I need the special tool to pull the IPR?

Thanks again gentlemen.

#21,759 · (Edited)
Bri_Man57; said:
That tow ride sounds....uncomfortable :taze:

And no worries I totally appreciate the input! Definitely the ICP being 180 is why its not starting, needs about 450 psi to fire injectors is my understanding. I think we are talking about the same situation, but I thought the PCM is telling the system it needs more ICP, and adjust the IPR accordingly. At 180 PSI, PCM says it needs more and maxes the IPR out at 65% trying to get more ICP but the IPR cant deliver (or I guess, let the HPOP deliver) since it is hung up or the electromagnet let go after it gets warm. Are we saying the same thing? LOL. Again appreciate the input!

I do believe the IPR to be the culprit. I was just going to change the ICP as well since even though it appears to be working correctly, there is some oil in the pigtail which indicates its on its way out?

Thanks for chiming in! I was thinking about starting my own thread but with all the research I am relatively confident the IPR is the culprit, and with the addition of yourself and @DieselDC suggesting it is the IPR I am now very confident about that being it. Some threads I have read suggest the ICP being that low with 65% IPR duty cycle is the "classic symptoms" of the IPR going out during a no start condition when at temperature. Truck has around 215K on it. ICP did hit around 2700/2800 max so I think HPOP is good.

Currently trying to find the best deal on OEM parts, they are pricey but I cant have this happen again. I was trying to take my old man out in my offroad truck, he was excited to hang with me and my buds and offroad in a place he is very interested in checking out, and the tow rig $h!t all over that plan. Unacceptable. It became very personal LOL!

So do I need the special tool to pull the IPR?

Thanks again gentlemen.

No worries - we are talking about the same thing. End result is bad ipr [emoji4] I’m a stickler for preemptive and ahead of schedule maintenance chit. So I would replace the icp as well.

Ipr is cake to replace. You need
* 1 1/8” deep socket 35ftlbs
*3/4 socket to remove that stupid sheet metal nut behind the ipr. 4.5/5ftlbs

(I carry it in the truck even though I know my ipr is new lol - old truck issues haha)

Icp depending on old and updated ones - find a wrench that fits lol.

O and that sheet metal deal behind the ipr - I replaced it with a real nut. That was the ipr I took to lowes to get the nut - not the one that went in [emoji4]

#21,760 ·
No worries - we are talking about the same thing. End result is bad ipr [emoji4] I’m a stickler for preemptive and ahead of schedule maintenance chit. So I would replace the icp as well.

Ipr is cake to replace. You need
* 1 1/8” deep socket 35ftlbs
*3/4 socket to remove that stupid sheet metal but behind the irp. 4.5/5ftlbs

(I carry it in the truck even know my ipr is new lol - old truck issues haha)

Icp depending on old and updated ones - find a wrench that fits lol.

O and that sheet metal deal behind the ipr - I replaced it with a real nut. That was the ipr I took to lowes to get the nut - not the one that went in [emoji4]

Okay good, bad IPR lol. My head hurts from all the reading I have been doing the last 24 hours, but it really is awesome to have some much information available.

Thanks for the tool tips, a couple posts referenced only certain manufacturer 1 1/8" sockets fitting (crafstman) as some were too shallow. I'll give my 1 1/8" a shot and see how it goes. Looking at the IPR from the top of the motor, I didnt see that nut but I dont think I was looking for it.

Why did you replace the nut? Stock one too flimsy?