post #25141 of 25278 Old 10-09-2019, 05:03 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 3293 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast Geek View Post
better than a wire wheel is one of those rust flapper disks for a 4.5" angle grinder. those will strip rust and paint from metal til its down to shiny clean. Then wash down with a degreaser/paintprep, and primer and spray.

my kid sprayed por15 over body rust on his Vanagon, it slowed it down a bit but a few years later, it was bubbling up again. what it needed was to be stripped down to shiny metal, and have the holes patched, then primer and paint. he sold it and let it be the next guys problem :-p
If you do POR-15 right it encapsulate rust and will last a long time. If it came back on your kid it was faulty prep work. Just sayin.

Sparky
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 F250 CCSB KR 4x4 6.0 4" Flo-Pro,
Fox 2.0s, Toyo ATs, CTS2 Pro, Blue Spring, BPD 7.3 Fan Clutch, IPR Coolant Filter

2000 F350 SCLB Dually 4x4, 7.3 6 Speed Hydra, CTS2, S&B Air, 4'' SS Diamond Eye

2005 Explorer XLT 4x4 Mountaineer,
Toyo ATs, Wife's grocery getter

1993 F150 4x4, 302 5 speed, winter truck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25142 of 25278 Old 10-11-2019, 09:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replaced the push-rod. Scared the heck out of me when I started backing up out of Walmart and suddenly my clutch pedal disappeared to the firewall!

Live in Colorado, wanna Immigrate to Alaska or Wyoming/Idaho border area.
post #25143 of 25278 Old 10-12-2019, 04:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
On the '02 - Chasing a random warm / hot no start. I've been using the Torque app watching all the values each time I drive it.

On the '00 - new tow mirrors, wired the markers and signal lights on them, replaced 4 of the u-bolt style exhaust clamps with the band style, replaced the batteries and battery terminal bolts, and ordered new wheels and tires. I've been going through it a little at a time. Coolant, diff and trans fluid is all I have left to do and I'll put it on the road.
forthehalibut likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25144 of 25278 Old 10-12-2019, 06:59 PM

Changed serpentine belt. It was on about 140K miles. Keeping it for a backup (I think I have two backups now--heheh).
Changed the engine fuel filter--after only 46k miles with this one
What did you do to your 7.3 Today?-2019-10-12-old-fuel-filter.jpg
I was going to change the fuel filter this weekend anyway, but this morning my truck suddenly died and it was making the no fuel sound when I tried restarting it. Finally got it to go and finished up my work, then got it back home for the maintenance. Interesting coincidence.

post #25145 of 25278 Old 10-12-2019, 09:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Changed the fuel filter after 28K. Changed the air filter after noticing that the filter monitor was pegged. Been neglecting the Ford. It turned into my DD as we are in the process of moving from So. Cal. to Idaho. Been commuting it 60 miles a day in this So. Cal. traffic, noticed it idling a bit rough. Hopefully this will help.
Also, finally added the pillar gauges I bought a month ago. Just need to connect the wiring in the am.

Brad Spears
2000 F-350 7.3 (stock)
'75 IH Scout II
'71 Datsun 510
'05 Chevy Avalanche
post #25146 of 25278 Old 10-12-2019, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthehalibut View Post
but this morning my truck suddenly died and it was making the no fuel sound when I tried restarting it.
The condition of the outer element isn't really an indication of whether the filter was plugged or not. That outer cover is the "water shield" in that that media stops water from getting to the "dirt filter" behind it. The true indication of how plugged one of these filters is, is in the pleats of the paper media behind the outer shield. I peel it out of the way and look in the bottom of the pleats. Wiping a pleat between a thumb and finger and looking at what comes off the pleat is another indication. Visible dirt build-up in the bottom of the pleats means it was left in service too long.

Your failure analysis is flawed. The "no fuel sound" indicates a supply problem on the upstream (tank side) of the fuel pump. Like the pick up screens. Not after. The fuel filter is after the fuel pump. With a restricted filter, there will still be fuel in the pump, and normal pressure, but a plugged filter will prevent the the from getting into the fuel galleries to the injectors.

If it does it again within the next 46,000 miles, at least you'll know it is not the filter.
post #25147 of 25278 Old 10-13-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP. View Post
The condition of the outer element isn't really an indication of whether the filter was plugged or not. That outer cover is the "water shield" in that that media stops water from getting to the "dirt filter" behind it. The true indication of how plugged one of these filters is, is in the pleats of the paper media behind the outer shield. I peel it out of the way and look in the bottom of the pleats. Wiping a pleat between a thumb and finger and looking at what comes off the pleat is another indication. Visible dirt build-up in the bottom of the pleats means it was left in service too long.

Your failure analysis is flawed. The "no fuel sound" indicates a supply problem on the upstream (tank side) of the fuel pump. Like the pick up screens. Not after. The fuel filter is after the fuel pump. With a restricted filter, there will still be fuel in the pump, and normal pressure, but a plugged filter will prevent the the from getting into the fuel galleries to the injectors.

If it does it again within the next 46,000 miles, at least you'll know it is not the filter.
Yeah--the whole filter was very dirty. As for my "no fuel sound", I meant that it sounded like the injectors were not putting anything into the cylinders. The pump sounded fine. I should change the inline fuel filter (pump suction side--we put it in about 3 years ago when doing the harpoon/hutch mods) anyway as that has been in for probably around 120k.
DaveP. likes this.

post #25148 of 25278 Old 10-13-2019, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
You're the only guy on here I'm aware of that drives his truck more annual miles than I do. So I pay attention to your posts because I may well learn something about operations regarding these 20 year old trucks that are still driven regularly. I had a feeling that at 400k, you had probably had the tank down and performed the internal mods. I didn't know you have a suction side filter, which certainly influences the on-engine filter life and change interval.

A few years ago I drove my 99 from Los Angeles to Reno for Christmas. (With the 58 gal tank, I can go 800+ miles between fuel stops. I usually fuel on the way home, because fuel up there is cheaper than here). I let it sit 2 nights and it cold soaked in single digit temperatures. It fired up no problem, but only made it 1/2 mile and quit. The SoCal summer blend fuel gelled in the tank pick-up and starved the fuel pump. I could hear the on-frame pump running with no fuel in it. (In cold season, I refuel when I arrive, so it has winter blend in it if the temps drop during my stay.)

That's what I thought you meant by "no fuel sound". Cheers.

Last edited by DaveP.; 10-13-2019 at 06:45 PM.
post #25149 of 25278 Old 10-13-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP. View Post
You're the only guy on here I'm aware of that drives his truck more annual miles than I do. So I pay attention to your posts because I may well learn something about operations regarding these 20 year old trucks that are still driven regularly. I had a feeling that at 400k, you had probably had the tank down and performed the internal mods. I didn't know you have a suction side filter, which certainly influences the on-engine filter life and change interval.

A few years ago I drove my 99 from Los Angeles to Reno for Christmas. (With the 58 gal tank, I can go 800+ miles between fuel stops. I usually fuel on the way home, because fuel up there is cheaper than here). I let it sit 2 nights and it cold soaked in single digit temperatures. It fired up no problem, but only made it 1/2 mile and quit. The SoCal summer blend fuel gelled in the tank pick-up and starved the fuel pump. I could hear the on-frame pump running with no fuel in it. (In cold season, I refuel when I arrive, so it has winter blend in it if the temps drop during my stay.)

That's what I thought you meant by "no fuel sound". Cheers.
No problem. I have actually dropped the yearly driving the last year or so but will more than likely be doing more going forward. I put on a few thousand miles in rentals last year when the truck was down for some major repairs. I do a lot of starting/stopping on it, too. I haven't had any gelling issues yet.

I need to drop the tank again and see if I can fix the fuel sensor. Been out for over a year now (once in a while, it starts reading, but then goes right back to full soon thereafter). I just use the trip meter to let me know when to fuel up.
DaveP. likes this.

post #25150 of 25278 Old 10-14-2019, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Finally got around to putting the fender badges, and WOW they look great going along with the new door badges.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191014_130047_1571073094041.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	3.79 MB
ID:	724073   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191014_125550_1571073105482.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	3.36 MB
ID:	724075  

2001 7.3L CCSRW 4X4
2003 7.3L CCDRW
S&B intake, 4" Flo-Pro Exhaust
ISSPRO EGT/Transmission. Edge SCT2
PHP Hydra chip's
2015 Heartland Prowler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode