post #24801 of 25323 Old 07-16-2019, 03:54 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1633 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vohs View Post
Is there anything special to consider when doing this rebuild? Like risk for air in lines that can cause a no start condition?
You could pinch an o ring in the fpr and get a leak. I got my kits from riffraff. A few months ago I replaced all the fuel lines sleeves, rebuilt my fpr, and replaced all the o rings in the fuel bowl. I was surprised how much it cleaned up my engine valley. I thought for months I had a small hpop line leak and it was fuel lol.
Vohs likes this.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24802 of 25323 Old 07-16-2019, 04:00 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
You could pinch an o ring in the fpr and get a leak. I got my kits from riffraff. A few months ago I replaced all the fuel lines sleeves, rebuilt my fpr, and replaced all the o rings in the fuel bowl. I was surprised how much it cleaned up my engine valley. I thought for months I had a small hpop line leak and it was fuel lol.

Thankful to have a clean valley now, but if I fudge a ring Ill be pretty annoyed. Was the riffraff kit a successful thing as far as the spring goes?

to conquer without risk is to triumph without glory.
post #24803 of 25323 Old 07-16-2019, 04:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDiesel View Post
Not to take away from any other members experience with the Eigthysixd spring, but I just recently put one in and noticed no difference. The one I took out was shorter and less resistance than the new one too. I still do believe it's worth a shot for 25 bucks.
I didnt expect anything real noticeable either, but figured a $25 part was cheap insurance since Ford had a TSB on the subject. My brothers truck had a big change so made it me a believer and I'll be doing mine soon (I planned on it anyway)

Quote:
Is there anything special to consider when doing this rebuild? Like risk for air in lines that can cause a no start condition?
No risk like that at all. This is the Fuel Pressure Return line. It lets excess pressure bleed off and go back to the tank. If the spring is weak the bleed off begins at a lower pressure, this in turn does not allow the correct/recommended fuel pressure to reach the injectors (especially #8).
It makes plain sense once you understand the logistics of it.
Vohs likes this.

2001 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke
Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, LB, AT
AIS intake
3/9/17 - bought used 194k miles
3/15/17- New stock radiator
3/15/17- New 6.0 OEM 26 row trans cooler
4/15/17- Edge Insight ( with EGT)
6/9/17 - Hydra with stock PHP tunes

2004 32' Sandpiper 5th wheel by Forest River - 11,000# fully loaded
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24804 of 25323 Old 07-16-2019, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
There's also one small gasket for the FPR (wouldn't call it an o ring) that is pretty much a one time use. Poor design. Mine was leaking and I thought it was an oil leak because the diesel dripping was slowly cleaning old residual oil from the valley. Replaced, now dry and clean.
Vohs likes this.

2000 7.3 4x4 CC, 210,000 miles.
Security: Ravelco (for the pro's), Viper (for the rookies), The Club 1100 Steering Wheel Lock (visual deterrent).
post #24805 of 25323 Old 07-16-2019, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDiesel View Post
There's also one small gasket for the FPR (wouldn't call it an o ring) that is pretty much a one time use. Poor design. Mine was leaking and I thought it was an oil leak because the diesel dripping was slowly cleaning old residual oil from the valley. Replaced, now dry and clean.
Do you have a pic or part number ?
We checked, re-checked and checked again but didnt find any leaks after the install

2001 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke
Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, LB, AT
AIS intake
3/9/17 - bought used 194k miles
3/15/17- New stock radiator
3/15/17- New 6.0 OEM 26 row trans cooler
4/15/17- Edge Insight ( with EGT)
6/9/17 - Hydra with stock PHP tunes

2004 32' Sandpiper 5th wheel by Forest River - 11,000# fully loaded
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch

post #24806 of 25323 Old 07-16-2019, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Found out my hydro-boost is leaking, along with the power steering pump and the steering gear (again). At least they are under warranty--except for the boost. Back in the shop next Thursday.

Live in Colorado, wanna Immigrate to Alaska or Wyoming/Idaho border area.
post #24807 of 25323 Old 07-16-2019, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Quote:
Tell me more about this spring! Is there a write up on it somewhere?
Here ya go

forthehalibut and Vohs like this.

2001 7.3L CCSRW 4X4
2003 7.3L CCDRW
S&B intake, 4" Flo-Pro Exhaust
ISSPRO EGT/Transmission. Edge SCT2
PHP Hydra chip's
2015 Heartland Prowler
post #24808 of 25323 Old 07-16-2019, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Picked up some brake pads for the dually, but tonight when I get home I notice some oil spots in the driveway, I look under the truck and it SOAKED in oil

I'm telling ya, this truck does not want to see 300K, I'm figuring its the oil dipstick, but the front crank seal has leaked for a long time but it never left a spot on the driveway.

2001 7.3L CCSRW 4X4
2003 7.3L CCDRW
S&B intake, 4" Flo-Pro Exhaust
ISSPRO EGT/Transmission. Edge SCT2
PHP Hydra chip's
2015 Heartland Prowler
post #24809 of 25323 Old 07-17-2019, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Picked up 4 gal of Rotella 15W-40 T6 for the due oil change. The truck has had conventional 15W-40 for the 255k mi on it.

I thought about switching to the T5 a while back... tales/accounts of 7.3's starting to leak after switching to synthetic/synthetic blends have probably been the largest factor in deterring me from switching. Having done the updated International HPOP lines and replaced all 4 of the OEM Eaton fittings with the correct loctite retaining compound per proper procedure, in addition to the turbo R&R w/ non-EBPV pedestal and new orings... I am less concerned with such leaks.

I was surprised a couple months ago to notice T6 was now being produced in the 15W-40 (rather than just the 5w so many have touted as THE oil to use particularly for cold weather starts)... I decided to try to see what forum folks on here and across the internet were saying about it.

Once again I was reminded of the dog fights I have read on countless forums that have erupted from the "which oil is best-est/beter-er for the 7.3" questions. I have seen cleaner political, religious, and women's rights debates on reddit than some of the old threads (on other forums).

At the end of the day, it was on sale for $19/Gal (6$ more than current T4) and deemed acceptable per the Ford WSS-M2C171-F1 declaration. I had a wild hair so I'll give it a whirl.
SparkyF250 likes this.

99 F250 XLT 4x4 ZF6

Modifications:
Ford AIS Intake
MBRB 4" Exhaust
Riffraff Billet Compressor Wheel
Garrett GTP38 High Flow Outlet
Riffraff FRx & HPx
Riffraff Plenum inserts, CAC Boots & clamps
AIH Delete
EBPV Delete
Isspro EV2 Fuel, Boost, & EGT gauges
PHP Hydra
Bilstein 5100
post #24810 of 25323 Old 07-17-2019, 08:20 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleStix View Post
Picked up 4 gal of Rotella 15W-40 T6 for the due oil change. The truck has had conventional 15W-40 for the 255k mi on it.

I thought about switching to the T5 a while back... tales/accounts of 7.3's starting to leak after switching to synthetic/synthetic blends have probably been the largest factor in deterring me from switching. Having done the updated International HPOP lines and replaced all 4 of the OEM Eaton fittings with the correct loctite retaining compound per proper procedure, in addition to the turbo R&R w/ non-EBPV pedestal and new orings... I am less concerned with such leaks.

I was surprised a couple months ago to notice T6 was now being produced in the 15W-40 (rather than just the 5w so many have touted as THE oil to use particularly for cold weather starts)... I decided to try to see what forum folks on here and across the internet were saying about it.

Once again I was reminded of the dog fights I have read on countless forums that have erupted from the "which oil is best-est/beter-er for the 7.3" questions. I have seen cleaner political, religious, and women's rights debates on reddit than some of the old threads (on other forums).

At the end of the day, it was on sale for $19/Gal (6$ more than current T4) and deemed acceptable per the Ford WSS-M2C171-F1 declaration. I had a wild hair so I'll give it a whirl.
I've been running 5W40 synthetic in my 7.3 and 6.0 for a while now, I add Archoil every other change in the 6.0 no issues with either truck. I was in town last night so I stopped at Wally world and got 4 gal of T6 15W40 for the upcoming change in the 6.0 I don't drive either one in the winter due to the mass quantities of salt ODOT uses in Ohio's winters, so cold start isn't an issue as much as heat is.
BTW Rotella will give you a $7 a gallon rebate on the oil you just bought, $12a gal after rebate makes synthetic the best option in my opinion.
https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/coup...L0RJWS90NXQ2Lw

Sparky

2005 F250 CCSB KR 4x4 6.0 4" Flo-Pro,
Fox 2.0s, Toyo ATs, CTS2 Pro, Blue Spring, BPD 7.3 Fan Clutch, IPR Coolant Filter

2000 F350 SCLB Dually 4x4, 7.3 6 Speed Hydra, CTS2, S&B Air, 4'' SS Diamond Eye

2005 Explorer XLT 4x4 Mountaineer,
Toyo ATs, Wife's grocery getter

1993 F150 4x4, 302 5 speed, winter truck

The Following User Says Thank You to SparkyF250 For This Useful Post:
TripleStix (07-17-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode