LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #23811 of 25058 Old 12-16-2018, 05:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-Surfer View Post
Follow up.... stalled 4 times in 15 miles. Put it into bypass and drove home no issues. Gonna pull the Hydra and double check everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That's frustrating! Definitely check connection. The hydra as I'm sure you experienced does grip the pcm very tightly so you can clean those contacts pretty good. Mine was all the way down to copper, no sign of tin anywhere. Been working fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel View Post
I would say yes on fuel changes since you are shifting gears, I will try to remember when I see Bill too ask about tow tune's.

I know lots of tuning is related to the shift strategy of an auto, always curious what the major differences are for the manual tunes.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23812 of 25058 Old 12-16-2018, 05:48 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri_Man57 View Post
That's frustrating! Definitely check connection. The hydra as I'm sure you experienced does grip the pcm very tightly so you can clean those contacts pretty good. Mine was all the way down to copper, no sign of tin anywhere. Been working fine.

Ya. Went back in and cleaned contacts off again extra good and put it all back together. Since it runs fine on bypass mode Iím not sweating it too much, but so want to get this resolved. Will give it a go tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 F350, 7.3l, CCLB, WW2, HPOP crossover, Coolant bypass filter, ATF inline filter, 4" exhaust, afe intake with AIS, 4" lift, 35's, Hellwig Big Wig F/R, Rancho900XLs, Firestone bags, PHP Hydra.
post #23813 of 25058 Old 12-16-2018, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Garage
Sometimes it’s hard to get the silicone out between the contacts. Use your fingernail to get it out.

I haven’t done much to the truck lately. Got another new windshield and just about due for another oil change. Going to try Mobil one 5w-40 next time since Delos ADD pack is weak now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23814 of 25058 Old 12-16-2018, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 1145 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Ya. Went back in and cleaned contacts off again extra good and put it all back together. Since it runs fine on bypass mode Iím not sweating it too much, but so want to get this resolved. Will give it a go tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

You really have to be OCD on cleaning that J3 port. Many people "think" they cleaned it well, but when I ask them to send me crystal clear close up pics, they story shows otherwise. Lol.

www.cncfab.us

[SIZE="3"]For all your ford powerstroke needs. If you dont see what you are looking for on the website, please use the contact page and shoot us a message or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Part numbers will help alot too if they are not on our site.

post #23815 of 25058 Old 12-16-2018, 07:43 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
You really have to be OCD on cleaning that J3 port. Many people "think" they cleaned it well, but when I ask them to send me crystal clear close up pics, they story shows otherwise. Lol.

www.cncfab.us

Ha. Ya. I was super paranoid about overdoing it. Will drive it tomorrow and hopefully all is well now.

[email protected] likes this.

2002 F350, 7.3l, CCLB, WW2, HPOP crossover, Coolant bypass filter, ATF inline filter, 4" exhaust, afe intake with AIS, 4" lift, 35's, Hellwig Big Wig F/R, Rancho900XLs, Firestone bags, PHP Hydra.
post #23816 of 25058 Old 12-16-2018, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Left Coast Geek Send a message via MSN to Left Coast Geek Send a message via Yahoo to Left Coast Geek
FWIW, and I haven't done this to a 7.3 ECM yet, but in general for printed circuit board gold finger cleaning, my absolute favorite weapon is a clean soft pink pencil eraser... does a remarkable job removing oxide from the gold plating without stripping the plating off. I've done this on 100s of computer boards over the last 4 decades. if the eraser edge you're using gets discolored, scrub it on some clean denim or whatever... I'll use a bit of Deoxit D100 too, on a second pass with the eraser after a dry pass.

silicones are a SOB to get off surfaces. you don't /ever/ want to get any silicone products on a surface you'll eventually want to paint, for example.
JustinOOO9 likes this.
post #23817 of 25058 Old 12-17-2018, 01:23 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Well...so far no stalls today. Been in and out of the truck all day. Last night I scrubbed and cleaned the contacts again, relieved the plastic mount the Computer sits in so there was no chance of pressure on the back of the chip, put a piece of tape around the end to cover/hold the chip, and put it all back together. Hereís hoping that I solved it.

post #23818 of 25058 Old 12-17-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Well...so far no stalls today. Been in and out of the truck all day. Last night I scrubbed and cleaned the contacts again, relieved the plastic mount the Computer sits in so there was no chance of pressure on the back of the chip, put a piece of tape around the end to cover/hold the chip, and put it all back together. Hereís hoping that I solved it.

Hopefully it's all fixed!

post #23819 of 25058 Old 12-17-2018, 02:13 PM

Finished my UVCH job yesterday. Did new UVCH, gaksets, and glow plugs on both sides. Did the foil mod (removal) while the intercooler pipes were off. Didn't necessarily want the turbo louder, just hated the way that foil looked. Got all the foil and padding off by hand, but said to hell with scrubbing the glue and got the wire wheel on the angle grinder out. Went over it with some Scott brite, looks way better. With a straight pipe it's not really that much louder.

I cleaned the intercooler boots while they were out and realized I need to look at what's leaking in the valley. It's pretty messy under there. All in time!

30 miles on truck so far, runs good and no check engine light!

Only two things that disappointed me during this project.

1) I broke one of the heater hose brackets on the passenger side trying to remove it and it was 30 bucks, kind of expensive if you ask me. Then, I had the 1 old one and the new one sitting on the cowl and forgot to install them. Took it for a test drive and lost the new one. I retraced my test path 3 times, twice on my Harley looking for that over priced piece of plastic. No luck. Pretty bummed about that.

2) right before I installed the driver side intercooler pipe I look at the pigtail that plugs into the UVCH and 5 of the wires had exposed wiring! The insulation had just broken off. I know it wasn't like that when I started so the insulation must have been brittle and came off during removal. I might need to replace that but for now I took some clear plastic tubing, split it on one side and slid it over each wire to regain the insulation, zip tied each one individually so they can't slide, and electrical tape the whole thing to further aid in not moving. It's a decent repair but hate that it happened.

Other then that, smooth sailing!

Last edited by Bri_Man57; 12-17-2018 at 02:25 PM.
post #23820 of 25058 Old 12-17-2018, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Noticed the oil drain plug is leaking, I hate a dripping truck. This is what I get for just changing the oil, and not getting a new copper seal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode