LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 01-24-2020, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Check your nutz

Well, I guess today was the day... It'd been a while since I gave the old rear pinion nut a tug....
Rear end fragged today on my way home at 70mph.
After a BANG by the time I pulled off the road, all I heard was zzzzzz. Stinky gear oil everywhere, smoke billowing out of the pinion seal. And tires lock up every few feet. Unless you want that, keep your pinion nuts tight. Peaned, torque striped, what-evs. Make sure they stay on. It's a common problem and mine was torqued last year.
Yay...
Fun weekend ahead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Semper Fi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Daddy's truck- '02 F250/7.3/6spd/4x4/6"lift/35's/Procomp traction bars/K&N intake/4" Banks turbo-back/aftermarket turbo/Hydra
Momma's truck- 01 Excursion/7.3/Auto/4x4/AFE stg 2 intake/walker Big Truck Muffler/BD Thruster II turbo/ TS6 /295x70's/F350 springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-24-2020, 06:43 PM

Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,796 Posts
Mentioned: 726 Post(s)
Quoted: 4030 Post(s)
the crush sleeves are torqued once and done
the nuts and sleeves are not to be reused

the procedure for torquing requires a substantial disassembly

not sure how to easily check one without inadvertently crushing the sleeve more ?
greenskeeper and Hydro like this.

6.0 flush pdf
post #3 of 17 Old 01-24-2020, 06:45 PM

that must have been a pant filling experience lol

using a crush sleeve eliminator is ideal

6.0 flush pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 01-24-2020, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
the crush sleeves are torqued once and done
the nuts and sleeves are not to be reused

the procedure for torquing requires a substantial disassembly

not sure how to easily check one without inadvertently crushing the sleeve more ?
Sure but who pulls thier rear end apart to check torque?
In the past I've always done it by pulling the drive shaft of the rear yoke and slipping a drilled out length of 2x4 over the yoke and checking the torque with a torque wrench with a removed axle or by chocking the rear wheels with axle installed. Point is, with the crush sleeves, the nuts will back off with catastrophic results. I have not done an eliminator, I'm more familiar with building older Dana axles.

Semper Fi

Daddy's truck- '02 F250/7.3/6spd/4x4/6"lift/35's/Procomp traction bars/K&N intake/4" Banks turbo-back/aftermarket turbo/Hydra
Momma's truck- 01 Excursion/7.3/Auto/4x4/AFE stg 2 intake/walker Big Truck Muffler/BD Thruster II turbo/ TS6 /295x70's/F350 springs
post #5 of 17 Old 01-24-2020, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
that must have been a pant filling experience lol

using a crush sleeve eliminator is ideal
Yeah it sucked. I felt and heard the initial clunk very faint, then shifted into N and coasted and listened, heard nothing. Soon as I put power back in, all hell broke loose. Not the first time I've blown up a rear end as I've been into rock crawlers and high horse power wheeling rigs in the past. 1st time it's ever happened to me on the highway though LOL!

Semper Fi

post #6 of 17 Old 01-25-2020, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
How many miles on the rear when it blew?

Mine's got almost 260k and I think it's making a little noise at highway speeds. Next service is at 270k so I'll get a look at things when I remove the cover and change the gear oil.

Gunga galunga...gunga -- gunga galunga.

97 F-250 CC 4x4 7.3L PSD E4OD 203K all original
99 F-250 CC 4x4 7.3L PSD ZF6 253K all original
post #7 of 17 Old 01-25-2020, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MANYPROJ3CTS View Post
In the past I've always done it by pulling the drive shaft of the rear yoke and slipping a drilled out length of 2x4 over the yoke and checking the torque with a torque wrench with a removed axle or by chocking the rear wheels with axle installed. Point is, with the crush sleeves, the nuts will back off with catastrophic results. I have not done an eliminator, I'm more familiar with building older Dana axles.
Now that's just Silly

Here's my "vote" for what needs to be checked occasionally for tightness -> Starter Bolts!
post #8 of 17 Old 01-25-2020, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskeeper View Post
How many miles on the rear when it blew?

Mine's got almost 260k and I think it's making a little noise at highway speeds. Next service is at 270k so I'll get a looko at things when I remove the cover and change the gear oil.
Almost 300k

Semper Fi

post #9 of 17 Old 01-25-2020, 08:31 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Garage
That nut was loose for a while already, it is a lock nut so not gonna just spin off while driving
would have thought you should have been hearing a clunk when shifting directions

crush sleeve setups have been around a long time with no trouble

since the housing was that hot, you lost a bearing first
the nut being loose would cause some gear noise, but no heat

more likely was the re-torque of the nut put too much pre-load on the bearings

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-25-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MANYPROJ3CTS View Post
Sure but who pulls thier rear end apart to check torque?
\\

AFAIK you can not circumvent the proper procedure for the crush on a Sterling ( although I have heard some other techniques )

the torque is in IN lbs and it is related to movement of the ring gear (as you know dana 8o is lock up the rear so it wont spin and torque the pinion ) = easy if you can muster the torque spec

what happens a lot is folks remove the pinion nut to do a seal and do not use a new nut and or try the trick of putting the nut back on just as many threads as it took to take it off but miss the mark and create issues

the only reason I posted was so folks don't read this and jump under their trucks and put a turn or two on their pinion nuts to tighten it up LOL
Hydro and Jjorgis5569 like this.

6.0 flush pdf

Last edited by ZMANN; 01-25-2020 at 09:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode