consensus on venting ccv to atmosphere?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-24-2020, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
consensus on venting ccv to atmosphere??

I know years ago it was one of the "mods" to do. I have been venting mine to the atmosphere for the last 70K miles without any ill effect.

I had shared my method of ccv venting on another site and was really quite shocked at the amount of pushback I got regarding my thread. I wouldn't say I was flamed for it....I would say strongly disagreed with and almost made to feel stupid for having vented it to the atmosphere. I was even told in the same thread that (I'm paraphrasing here) "It's people like me that the epa are watching and because of me and everyone who rolls coal the rest of us are going to have our diesel trucks taken away". So apparently, an open ccv is akin to a 16 year old rolling around town blowing smoke. Wow!

There were others who chimed in on my thread who I feel where made to feel stupid and uninformed as well. I can tell you that I enjoy having it rerouted to under the truck. I like having a cleaner engine bay. I like knowing that my intake system is not ingesting copious amounts of oil. I don't mind smelling the vapor that it emits either. I don't mind the one golf ball sized oil spot that it leaves on my driveway. I don't mind the occasional oil that gets splattered on the frame rails and back axle.

What say ya'll?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cummin is the mess left behind by strokin!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 7.3l f350 4x4 cclb psd. 4r100 trans.Ranchhand everything! 6637 intake, zoodad mod, custom big rig runnin lights, ccv mod, RR boots and plenum inserts, foil delete, EV2 gauges, edge cts, tuff country 2.5" leveling kit, X codes, 315/75r16 coopers, 08 mirrors, 6.0 trans cooler, tgc dual steering stabilizer, fabtech adj. trac bar, mbrp 5" turbo back straight pipe with 8" tip, php 6pos, ssbc brakes, ebpv delete, cat elc 100,xxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-24-2020, 10:02 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1680 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Cowboy View Post
I know years ago it was one of the "mods" to do. I have been venting mine to the atmosphere for the last 70K miles without any ill effect.

I had shared my method of ccv venting on another site and was really quite shocked at the amount of pushback I got regarding my thread. I wouldn't say I was flamed for it....I would say strongly disagreed with and almost made to feel stupid for having vented it to the atmosphere. I was even told in the same thread that (I'm paraphrasing here) "It's people like me that the epa are watching and because of me and everyone who rolls coal the rest of us are going to have our diesel trucks taken away". So apparently, an open ccv is akin to a 16 year old rolling around town blowing smoke. Wow!

There were others who chimed in on my thread who I feel where made to feel stupid and uninformed as well. I can tell you that I enjoy having it rerouted to under the truck. I like having a cleaner engine bay. I like knowing that my intake system is not ingesting copious amounts of oil. I don't mind smelling the vapor that it emits either. I don't mind the one golf ball sized oil spot that it leaves on my driveway. I don't mind the occasional oil that gets splattered on the frame rails and back axle.

What say ya'll?

Its heavily debated but I vent mine with zero issues. 99% of the commercial truck vent that way with zero issues. I only did it because of the oil soaking through the intercooler boots. No other real benefit for my situation. It can very rarely give me a whiff of oil smell if im at a long red light during summer but I have no leaks, no issues in 100+ degree summers where I travel and no issues in -25 winters either. I also have no oil residue on anything either just vapor.

You're going to get the same love hate here, some feel very strong against it, some very for it, some don't care. I initially wanted to try it since I switched to synthetic oil and noticed way more oil residue on the cac boots. since venting its clean and dry and again no leaks of any kind before or after, no drips.

I will say rolling coal around town does attract unwanted attention and would never advise it. The EPA will not be able to take your truck away BUT.... some states have a system to report "excessive smoking" and require smog equipment to be intact. CA and other more liberal states enforce it heavily so do your part to not attract bad attention and drive your truck.
7.3_TurboDiesel and Hydro like this.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #3 of 11 Old 01-24-2020, 10:03 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Garage
Tap it into the exhaust pipe and the oil spot is gone along with the smell

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-24-2020, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Road breathers rock ! OOps ! rong song !

NOTNOW > 2001 F350 CCLB DRW SCHTICK SHHHIFTER
WONTON > 2002 F350 CCLB DRW OTTOMATIC
FTCOBRA > 2006 F350 CCLB DRW SCHTICK SHHHIFTER

Last edited by doubleslottedflaps; 01-24-2020 at 10:50 AM.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-24-2020, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
I have had my CCV dumped underneath for 6 years, that's the way International designed these engines, having the crank case vent go into the intake was an afterthought by Ford. I like being able to work on my engine without getting my arms completely covered by oil from the intercooler boots.

00 f250 ext. cab, lb, 4x4, 170,000, zf 6 speed, South Bend 1944ofe, 4 in lift, 315/75/16 Courser MXTs, rear Detroit locker, PMF traction bars, Full Force 180/80 injectors, KC 300x 63/73/.84 turbo, PHP Hydra, Riff Raff frx,, Dieselsite pre pump kit, Dorman up pipes,IAH delete, ccv mod, 6637 filter, Auto Meter gauges, Edge CS2, 4 in diamod eye straight pipe 6 in tip.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-24-2020, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,139 Times in 2,047 Posts
Mentioned: 435 Post(s)
Quoted: 3156 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #7 of 11 Old 01-24-2020, 11:51 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1680 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
Tap it into the exhaust pipe and the oil spot is gone along with the smell
I didn't want to mention because there hasn't been any conclusive evidence in my research. Some show it being dangerous in terms of creating pressure, others say you need a special venture to create the vacuum needed to pul the fumes into the exhaust etc. I haven't tapped into my exhaust because some threads showed without a venture there was a good chance of positive pressure pushing back into the crankcase etc. I love the idea of not having any oil residue on stuff but mine hasn't dripped/sprayed on anything even when towing heavy stuff so im hoping it just stays like that lol.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #8 of 11 Old 01-25-2020, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Why not just use a catch can? Keeps from leaving an oil spot on the driveway and keeps you from having to figure out a way to blow it out the exhaust. Just keep an eye on the catch can and drain every so often. This is not a mod I've done, but if I did I think I'd just go with a catch can.

2002 7.3 CCSB 4x4 XLT. 4" exhaust, wicked wheel, hydra tuner, 6637 filter mod.
2004 6.0 CCSB FX4 Lariat. 5" exhaust, KC stage 2 turbo, airdog fuel pump, CAI, head studs, EGR delete, 6" lift
post #9 of 11 Old 01-25-2020, 01:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Just vented mine this morning. Wanted to clean up the oil slobbered around the intake and everywhere else.

radar8120
post #10 of 11 Old 01-25-2020, 03:16 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
I didn't want to mention because there hasn't been any conclusive evidence in my research. Some show it being dangerous in terms of creating pressure, others say you need a special venture to create the vacuum needed to pul the fumes into the exhaust etc. I haven't tapped into my exhaust because some threads showed without a venture there was a good chance of positive pressure pushing back into the crankcase etc. I love the idea of not having any oil residue on stuff but mine hasn't dripped/sprayed on anything even when towing heavy stuff so im hoping it just stays like that lol.
Would have to be post muffler, if you have that
making a simple venturi by welding in an angle tipped pipe would work
the farther back the tail pipe the less pressure

I suppose one could cut the tail pipe and weld in an actual venturi , but that defeats the 5 inch just for show pipe

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in