Is this normal? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 01-19-2020, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
7.3_TurboDiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 517
Thanks: 0
Thanked 32 Times in 32 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is this normal?

Hey guys, I bought a used 2000 engine with 176k miles that I知 completely resealing and doing some performance mods on before I drop it in my truck

I removed the HPOP reservoir and found this in the screen. Is this a normal amount of gunk or should I be concerned? Really not wanting to totally tear this engine down


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
7.3_TurboDiesel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 39 Old 01-19-2020, 12:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 325
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3_TurboDiesel View Post
Hey guys, I bought a used 2000 engine with 176k miles that I知 completely resealing and doing some performance mods on before I drop it in my truck

I removed the HPOP reservoir and found this in the screen. Is this a normal amount of gunk or should I be concerned? Really not wanting to totally tear this engine down


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, the screen is doing its job. You got it from a junk yard? How much did you pay?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
guitarnut is offline  
post #3 of 39 Old 01-19-2020, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
7.3_TurboDiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 517
Thanks: 0
Thanked 32 Times in 32 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I got it off Facebook marketplace for $750 including injectors


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
7.3_TurboDiesel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 39 Old 01-19-2020, 12:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 325
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3_TurboDiesel View Post
I got it off Facebook marketplace for $750 including injectors


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a damn good deal. How do you know it runs well with no blowby? How many miles are on your current engine?

$750 with injectors is less than a core change that forthehalibut had.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
guitarnut is offline  
post #5 of 39 Old 01-19-2020, 01:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
dieselcrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Martinsville, West Virginia
Posts: 3,391
Thanks: 3
Thanked 59 Times in 57 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've only had 2 of those screens out over the years, but neither one looked like that... that crud would have me concerned. What is its texture, gritty, slimy.... ?

Greg


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
E'99 F250 extcab, S/Bed 223k. W/ 378k mile 7.3 motor installed at 212k

'00 Excursion Limited, 7.3PSD 308k

'02 F250 extcab, L/bed, 340k. 7.3L 6spd 4x4

'00 F250 CCSB, 5.4 gasser 235k

200? F250 SuperDuperDuty Extended crew cab short bed project in process w/ 3rd row seating. 7.3L, 6spd, 4x4

Semper Paratus
dieselcrawler is offline  
post #6 of 39 Old 01-19-2020, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
7.3_TurboDiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 517
Thanks: 0
Thanked 32 Times in 32 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is this normal?

I知 gonna do a compression test before I move forward with it. My current engine is a junky jasper reman with around 90k on it

And it seems mostly like small pieces of silicone that flaked off over the years, maybe from the oil pan. Some shiny bits, but 90% is that black crud that looks like old silicone to me

Really torn with what I wanna do. I値l be replacing the oil pan so I値l be able to see if there is more crap in there


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by 7.3_TurboDiesel; 01-19-2020 at 02:46 PM.
7.3_TurboDiesel is offline  
post #7 of 39 Old 01-19-2020, 03:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 325
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3_TurboDiesel View Post
I知 gonna do a compression test before I move forward with it. My current engine is a junky jasper reman with around 90k on it

And it seems mostly like small pieces of silicone that flaked off over the years, maybe from the oil pan. Some shiny bits, but 90% is that black crud that looks like old silicone to me

Really torn with what I wanna do. I値l be replacing the oil pan so I値l be able to see if there is more crap in there


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What's wrong with the Jasper? That's what halibut just got and if I ever need an engine or tranny that was my plan.

I'd think the Jasper would be better than a junkyard engine. Just toss a tuner on it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
guitarnut is offline  
post #8 of 39 Old 01-19-2020, 03:18 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 2,459
Thanks: 3
Thanked 253 Times in 249 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ya know, all that crud made it past the oil filter -- thru the bypass

In my defense, I was unsupervised
.
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
Hydro is online now  
post #9 of 39 Old 01-19-2020, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
7.3_TurboDiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 517
Thanks: 0
Thanked 32 Times in 32 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is this normal?

Jasper is junk, after 70k miles my injector cups started leaking and my oil pan too. Among a bunch of other small leaks. And all the paint is flaking off. I wouldn稚 pay $12k for a jasper engine in my worst nightmares. Look up the horror stories online. Plus it has a lot more blowby than I think it should have with less than 100k. My dads has 300k and I壇 say blowby is about equal. I知 sure they just toss pistons and rings in without properly measuring the bores

And yes I know. I investigated more and none of the pieces are magnetic. And I found some small fibers that look like the paper in an oil filter....still weighing my options

I saved some oil from it that I might send off to have analyzed


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by 7.3_TurboDiesel; 01-19-2020 at 05:07 PM.
7.3_TurboDiesel is offline  
post #10 of 39 Old 01-20-2020, 03:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 325
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3_TurboDiesel View Post
Jasper is junk, after 70k miles my injector cups started leaking and my oil pan too. Among a bunch of other small leaks. And all the paint is flaking off. I wouldn稚 pay $12k for a jasper engine in my worst nightmares. Look up the horror stories online. Plus it has a lot more blowby than I think it should have with less than 100k. My dads has 300k and I壇 say blowby is about equal. I知 sure they just toss pistons and rings in without properly measuring the bores

And yes I know. I investigated more and none of the pieces are magnetic. And I found some small fibers that look like the paper in an oil filter....still weighing my options

I saved some oil from it that I might send off to have analyzed


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forthehalibut got a complete engine, turbo, fuel bowl, sensors, lines, injectors, etc installed for around $12k with a 2 year unlimited mile warranty. To me, it seems like that is a bit pricey but the safest and problem free way to go.

What would you recommend for an engine or transmission if Jasper isn't any good. Keeping cost in mind. Halibut wasn't looking for a some horsepower built engine.

For the engine (12k) and tranny work he was in for 15k but as long as Jasper isn't junk he should go another 200k easy.

Just curious about the alternatives that are cost effective. At 240k, I suspect that this will be me someday. Halibut had 400k on his. If I get to 400k I'll be happy as it'll take me 10 years.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
guitarnut is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome