2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 01-05-2020, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What to watch for in transmission problems

As y'all know, I installed a Hydra chip and am now running on the 65hp daily driver.

What should I watch for as far as transmission problems? I don't want to be on the side of the road 100 miles from home.

I notice it's shifting differently and I am assuming that the chip is trying to keep me in the power band with higher RPM.

I just want to know what to watch for as 250k is on the original tranny.

Also, I notice that I go from 1-2 to 3 then I have something like 3.5 where it feels like a new gear but then it kicks into OD. It's always done this but now it stays in 3.5 at 35mph when before Hydra it would hit OD at 35-40.

I don't think there is a problem and my fluid is red and smells fine. Just wanted to know what to watch for so I can get it rebuilt before I'm stranded.

Besides burnt fluid, not going into a gear, grinding, what should I watch for?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 01-05-2020, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
That ď3.5Ē is 3rd gear with the converter locked. The hydra messes with shift timing and pressures; youíre fine

Your transmission wonít fail because of a 65hp tune, itíll fail due to mileage

If youíre that worried about it, just get a new trans as preventative maintenance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 25 Old 01-05-2020, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3_TurboDiesel View Post
That ď3.5Ē is 3rd gear with the converter locked. The hydra messes with shift timing and pressures; youíre fine

Your transmission wonít fail because of a 65hp tune, itíll fail due to mileage

If youíre that worried about it, just get a new trans as preventative maintenance

Yes. I know the hydra won't cause it to fail but it's got 240k and to my knowledge is the original trans. I just wondered if there was anything I could watch for as a symptom of needing a rebuild. I was watching junk on YouTube and reading forums and read a guy getting stranded so it has me concerned due to the high mileage.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 01-05-2020, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
The most important thing is to have a gauge to monitor your transmission temp, egt and boost are also important to monitor.

00 f250 ext. cab, lb, 4x4, 170,000, zf 6 speed, South Bend 1944ofe, 4 in lift, 315/75/16 Courser MXTs, rear Detroit locker, PMF traction bars, Full Force 180/80 injectors, KC 300x 63/73/.84 turbo, PHP Hydra, Riff Raff frx,, Dieselsite pre pump kit, Dorman up pipes,IAH delete, ccv mod, 6637 filter, Auto Meter gauges, Edge CS2, 4 in diamod eye straight pipe 6 in tip.
post #5 of 25 Old 01-05-2020, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00t444e View Post
The most important thing is to have a gauge to monitor your transmission temp, egt and boost are also important to monitor.
I don't tow. She's just a redneck Cadillac

Just looking for examples of things to watch for. Also, does anyone know what the tcslip values in torque should be or what it means? Mine are anywhere from 5 to 1500.

post #6 of 25 Old 01-06-2020, 05:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Trans temp is the tell all for wear and life left in the trans. It's a great investment in preventative maintenance to have a trans temp guage. Unless you have a catastrophic failure, the operating temp of the trans will give great indicators of a creeping issue. Something like clutch pack wear will be indicated by a rise in temps. Torque convertor clutch slippage will also show a rise in temp. Other than that regular fluid changes with oil analysis will tell you when it's time for trans work.
7.3_TurboDiesel likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 F350 CC 7.3 5-SPD
post #7 of 25 Old 01-06-2020, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Garage
What to watch for in transmission problems

I agree with all previously stated and being I have a 99, I removed the OEM and added the 6.0 cooler and replaced the valve body with a Woods unit and that really cleaned up my shifts tremendously. Someone (a trans shop) had told me that after adding the PHP tunes and feeling my sloppy shifting issues were my trans was on its way out. I felt differently and dropped the pan replaced valve body, new motorcraft fluid (approx 22qts), 1qt spin on filter, mag hy-tech deep pan and 6.0 cooler with fluid bypass and external spin on filter. Itís been 3 years now since and only about 15k miles and hasnít ever shifted better with zero issues with my own installed upgrades. My only issue is that most of my driving is in cold winter temps and trans temp gauge (sensor-probe in pan) rarely gets over 130* and thatís only on steep grade inclines. Not sure if that is good nor bad but fluid is still excellent and changed only the external filter once since adding the above mentioned items.
I could probably use something to remedy the cold temps in winter but even in hot summer I donít see anything over 160-170*
I also never changed the PHP tunes to include trans pressure mode that includes a valve body upgrade.

post #8 of 25 Old 01-06-2020, 09:38 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1710 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarnut View Post
As y'all know, I installed a Hydra chip and am now running on the 65hp daily driver.

What should I watch for as far as transmission problems? I don't want to be on the side of the road 100 miles from home.

I notice it's shifting differently and I am assuming that the chip is trying to keep me in the power band with higher RPM.

I just want to know what to watch for as 250k is on the original tranny.

Also, I notice that I go from 1-2 to 3 then I have something like 3.5 where it feels like a new gear but then it kicks into OD. It's always done this but now it stays in 3.5 at 35mph when before Hydra it would hit OD at 35-40.

I don't think there is a problem and my fluid is red and smells fine. Just wanted to know what to watch for so I can get it rebuilt before I'm stranded.

Besides burnt fluid, not going into a gear, grinding, what should I watch for?

In all honesty you could be doing everything right and still get stranded. You could strip the spines on the input shaft at a stop light, could have a hose burst for a cooler line (their 20+ yrs old anyways). The shifting from the hydra "should" actualy improve the lift of your transmission if your just using it as a truck should be used. The shifting should be firmed up a bit (a slight bump in shifting) to reduce the wear on the clutchpacks. smooth shifting feels better but it increases heat=wear n tear.

A transmission cooler upgrade -either a tru cool kit from diesel site or add a 6.0l trans cooler like me and MANY 7.3L owners do. easily knocks 25+ degrees off trans temp empty and towing. A huge plus in increasing transmission life.

A modified valvebody from bryan truck shop or john woods transmission-Changes the shifting to a certain point. they build them accustomed to your driving style/truck mods and needs. It firms/slightly adjust the shifting for better power/control/ longevity of the transmission.

Fluid-If you have the original transmission you want to stick with a dexmerc type fluid. They came with mercon (no longer made) and even though ford said to just use mercon v it caused issues with original units. the newer fluid was not compatible with some seals and caused issues. If you have a newer unit it wont be an issue though. I have been using Valvoline max life and napa brand dexmerc with zero issues. My truck is a dedicated tow truck too. everything from 35ft 5th wheels, skidsteers, goosenecks, side by sides and the fluid has performed very well and is available at walmart for crying out loud lol. I change mine every 50k even though it says every 30k in the book again no issues and fluid has been red and sweet every time. Often people ignore the transfercase and that fluid gets brown quickly. it still spins the internal shaft in 2wd so change it when you change the transmission fluid.

-Gauges- you need a temp gauge for the transmission with an auto. you can get an average driving temp during each season and if something spikes it gives you an indicator something has changed.

-Driving- the ecm likes regular driving for shifting. don't try and help the truck shift by feathering the throttle, just drive it and let the shifting do its thing. Many even newer 6.7l owners found odd shifting when they try and feather the throttle. just give it nice and easy throttle and let the truck shift. The only time I mess with stuff is when towing. certain times on high speed highways I wont turn overdrive off because the load is light enough, other times im in the OD OFF mode the entire time etc.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #9 of 25 Old 01-06-2020, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
When my trans went out there were no signs, truck was stock other than the gt38r turbo. Mine developed a large leak suddenly from the front pump. By the time I saw the white smoke in my rearview mirror it was too late, trans had already ran out of fluid and lost all ability to move the truck. I'd say if your fluid looks good and doesn't smell burnt just roll with it. Sometimes they will give you a warning sign, sometimes they don't unfortunately.

2002 7.3 CCSB 4x4 XLT. 4" exhaust, wicked wheel, hydra tuner, 6637 filter mod.
Sold 2004 6.0 CCSB FX4 Lariat. 5" exhaust, KC stage 2 turbo, airdog fuel pump, CAI, head studs, EGR delete, 6" lift
post #10 of 25 Old 01-06-2020, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice everyone. I thought maybe the way it shifts or something would be a sign. My trans temps have always been about the same.

Does anyone know what values for TCSlip in torque pro?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode