What to watch for in transmission problems - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 Old 01-06-2020, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If it starts slipping real bad or taking forever to shift gears that can indicate a problem. Also if your trans doesn't move when cold that can also indicate its getting worn out, or your fluid is low. But the things you're experiencing wouldn't indicate that your trans has any problems, its just shifting different because of the chip.

2002 7.3 CCSB 4x4 XLT. 4" exhaust, wicked wheel, hydra tuner, 6637 filter mod.
Sold 2004 6.0 CCSB FX4 Lariat. 5" exhaust, KC stage 2 turbo, airdog fuel pump, CAI, head studs, EGR delete, 6" lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 01-06-2020, 02:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
If you have flare shifts thatís a tell tale sign. That means RPMs going up for a second then back down when it shifts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 25 Old 01-06-2020, 03:27 PM
Behavior Modificationist

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarnut View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone. I thought maybe the way it shifts or something would be a sign. My trans temps have always been about the same.

Does anyone know what values for TCSlip in torque pro?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
There aren't any numbers specific to TCSlip in Torque other than monitoring how much slip there is between the torque converter to engine RPMs.

Example: When at a red light, your torque converter is unlocked and free-spinning at idle (not sure without sitting in the driver's seat but it will be around 1k I'd say). Smash the accelerator and your numbers will shoot up to around 3k (which is the torque converter moving with the engine's RPMs to push the transmission). While shifting through the gears, the measurement of TCSlip will decrease as the gears increase. When the torque converter locks is when you really want to pay attention. Good numbers on a healthy transmission are as close as possible to 0 in a controlled environment when locked. If locked, pulling a load, and running up a steep grade, the converter might slip (increasing TCSlip numbers in Torque). If parameters aren't met to keep the converter locked (in this towing scenario), the trans will unlock the converter in fourth year and run WOT which would result in very high numbers reading in Torque as the torque converter spins with the engine RPMs.

This is all a loose interpretation. Feel free to PM me with any questions. I've been monitoring with Torque ever since it hit the market.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 7.3L
Pro Comp 6.5" Lift
Pro Comp 16x10 Alloys
35x12.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers
Sky Jacker Hydro 7000 Steering Stabilizers
K&N CAI JUNKED For A 6637
Straight Piped Dual 4"
Jasper 4R100 (Rebuilt in '05)
Tru-Cool Max
Dieselsite Coolant/Trans Filters
ISSPRO EV2 (Boost, EGT, Trans)
Centramatics
EBPV Switch
'07 Headlight Conversion
Foil Delete
Zoodad
Monitoring with Torque
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 Old 01-07-2020, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgTires4295 View Post
There aren't any numbers specific to TCSlip in Torque other than monitoring how much slip there is between the torque converter to engine RPMs.

Example: When at a red light, your torque converter is unlocked and free-spinning at idle (not sure without sitting in the driver's seat but it will be around 1k I'd say). Smash the accelerator and your numbers will shoot up to around 3k (which is the torque converter moving with the engine's RPMs to push the transmission). While shifting through the gears, the measurement of TCSlip will decrease as the gears increase. When the torque converter locks is when you really want to pay attention. Good numbers on a healthy transmission are as close as possible to 0 in a controlled environment when locked. If locked, pulling a load, and running up a steep grade, the converter might slip (increasing TCSlip numbers in Torque). If parameters aren't met to keep the converter locked (in this towing scenario), the trans will unlock the converter in fourth year and run WOT which would result in very high numbers reading in Torque as the torque converter spins with the engine RPMs.

This is all a loose interpretation. Feel free to PM me with any questions. I've been monitoring with Torque ever since it hit the market.
That makes some sense. I'm going to watch them again and compare it to engine RPM. When it hits OD, slip is around 5 but other times it's around 1500.

Great explanation. I've been looking for this everywhere.

post #15 of 25 Old 01-07-2020, 07:31 PM
Behavior Modificationist

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Of course Photobucket is down right now, but check out this thread for comparisons when it comes back up:

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...pp-photos.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 7.3L
Pro Comp 6.5" Lift
Pro Comp 16x10 Alloys
35x12.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers
Sky Jacker Hydro 7000 Steering Stabilizers
K&N CAI JUNKED For A 6637
Straight Piped Dual 4"
Jasper 4R100 (Rebuilt in '05)
Tru-Cool Max
Dieselsite Coolant/Trans Filters
ISSPRO EV2 (Boost, EGT, Trans)
Centramatics
EBPV Switch
'07 Headlight Conversion
Foil Delete
Zoodad
Monitoring with Torque
post #16 of 25 Old 01-09-2020, 04:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarnut View Post
I don't tow. She's just a redneck Cadillac

Just looking for examples of things to watch for. Also, does anyone know what the tcslip values in torque should be or what it means? Mine are anywhere from 5 to 1500.

You don't have to be towing to need to cool down your turbo. A pyrometer is a must have if you want to have your turbo have a long and happy life. Oil is used to cool and lubricate the turbo bushings (stock turbos don't have bearings). Oil will burn and turn into a tar if left to sit in the bushing for any length of time. At a minimum, get a pyrometer gauge, before shutting off the engine wait for the "P" gauge to get down around 350 degrees. You'll find that it doesn't take much for the exhaust temperatures to be up over 500 degrees. I see it every day where guys pull up in their cowboy Cadillac, park and shut off the engine (like a gas engine). I even have a device to monitor the temp and it keeps the engine running til 350* (long after I've walked away). It does have anti-theft device in that if the brake peddle is pushed the engine dies immediately.

02 F350 CC 7.3 PS, auto, 6x6, 4.10 gears LB. AFE stage 2 intake, 4" AFE SS exh, 6.0 atf cooler, DP tuner with five stages
Eng Temp gauge, EGT guage and Trans temp gauge. J.Woods valve body ATS turbo housing. Cooling sys filter & waterless coolant. NON WORKING POS FASS fuel filter sys. Brightbox headlites. I don't care what they say "There's no replacement for displacement."
Don't believe statements about anything being better than a 7.3
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!
post #17 of 25 Old 01-09-2020, 04:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracula4999 View Post
If it starts slipping real bad or taking forever to shift gears that can indicate a problem. Also if your trans doesn't move when cold that can also indicate its getting worn out, or your fluid is low. But the things you're experiencing wouldn't indicate that your trans has any problems, its just shifting different because of the chip.
Before I ended up getting my trans rebuilt I had a problem with the torque converter. Seems the clutch packs inside the TC started to dissolve and put all the crap through the trans. John Woods automotive in Holtville, ca is one of the best at building our 100R4 transmissions.

02 F350 CC 7.3 PS, auto, 6x6, 4.10 gears LB. AFE stage 2 intake, 4" AFE SS exh, 6.0 atf cooler, DP tuner with five stages
Eng Temp gauge, EGT guage and Trans temp gauge. J.Woods valve body ATS turbo housing. Cooling sys filter & waterless coolant. NON WORKING POS FASS fuel filter sys. Brightbox headlites. I don't care what they say "There's no replacement for displacement."
Don't believe statements about anything being better than a 7.3
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!
post #18 of 25 Old 01-09-2020, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgTires4295 View Post

Sitting at a light it's in gear 1 tcslip is around 1200-1500. Driving it goes down to about 500 or lower before a shift...in gear 3 is locks to gear I call 3.5 and depending on driving style (weight of foot) it's anywhere from 5-800. Gear 4 is stays below 10ish.

I don't know how to interpret any of it. I thought I'd see a correlation between TCSlip and rpm but I don't.

What does all of that mean and is it normal?

post #19 of 25 Old 01-09-2020, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
I wouldnít worry about it, Iíve never heard of watching torque slip numbers before on a 7.3. If it shifts nice and doesnít build excessive heat when driving then youíre good. If youíre super paranoid about it just spring for a sam Wyse stage 1 and be done with it

post #20 of 25 Old 01-09-2020, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3_TurboDiesel View Post
I wouldnít worry about it, Iíve never heard of watching torque slip numbers before on a 7.3. If it shifts nice and doesnít build excessive heat when driving then youíre good. If youíre super paranoid about it just spring for a sam Wyse stage 1 and be done with it

I'm just interested in what these readings mean. I'm not overly concerned. This seems like a good thing to understand and to occasionally monitor for changes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode