While the Engine is out... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 12-15-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
While the Engine is out...

I live in upstate NY, so it's finally time to replace my rusty oil pan. The consensus is that to do it right, you gotta pull the engine. My diesel guy is going to do the work next month. I was also planning to replace the manifolds, replace the turbo pedestal (delete the EBPV) to prevent further leaks, and rebuilt the turbo while it's out. Any other things to consider replacing while it's out? Are there fuel or break lines that are in real tight locations with the engine in?

BTW, I'm not looking for performance upgrades just preventative maintenance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-15-2019, 08:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
I would do all the exhaust manifold and up pipes bolts. If not the manifold bolts, definitely the up pipe bolts. And small stuff like glow plugs that are easy money when the engine is out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 22 Old 12-15-2019, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
I would do either bellowed up pipes or if you don't want to spend the money for new up pipes at least put new donuts in the stock up pipes.

2017 F350 6.7L 4x4 FX4 SRW CCSB Lariat Ultimate

Soldó2002 F350 7.3 4x4 SRW CCLB. GTP38R, PIS 175/80 injectors, Sam Wyse Stage 2 Trans, 6.0 cooler, Banks Intercooler, 4" Turbo back Exhaust, PHP tuned TS 6 position chip, CNC 4 Line feed, HPOP and HPX Lines. International bellowed up pipes. AFE Stage 2 Intake w/ Dry filter. Banks exhaust brake and smart lock. Hutch/Harpoon mod, 910 Valve springs, Billet intake plenums. Firestone airbags. Trailready full guard front bumper. PIAA Driving and Fog lights. Micky Thompson Wheels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 12-16-2019, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Manifolds, up-pipes (bellowed. Amazon has sets for less than $100. It's just pipe), and the passenger fuel line. Everything else is pretty easy to access later.

If you have the budget and really want to make the most of the engine being out, I'd do a water pump with coolant flush (replace with ELC), reseal the oil cooler, rebuild the turbo, reseal the CCV, replace/reseal the turbo pedestal, and replace the EBP line. These are all pretty simple to do with the engine in as well so could easily be put off until you actually have a problem, but I'm sure there would be some savings in doing it all now.

Finally, be sure to replace the dipstick tube as well. I'm assuming this would be part of it anyways but just making sure.
7.3_TurboDiesel likes this.

2000 ECLB 4x4 7.3L PSD - Converted from a beat up XL farm truck and frame off restored thanks to New England road salt
Cosmetic: 05 Harley front end, 11 tailgate, black sport full power interior, 05 dash with aux switches and brake controller
Performance: AFE intake, SPX billet compressor wheel, Turbomaster wastegate, blank pedestal & exhaust housing, MBRP 5" exhaust, PHP Hydra, gauges and CTS2
Audio: Sony XAV-AX5000, JBL Club speakers, fully sound deadened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 22 Old 12-16-2019, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Dan View Post
Manifolds, up-pipes (bellowed. Amazon has sets for less than $100. It's just pipe), and the passenger fuel line. Everything else is pretty easy to access later.

If you have the budget and really want to make the most of the engine being out, I'd do a water pump with coolant flush (replace with ELC), reseal the oil cooler, rebuild the turbo, reseal the CCV, replace/reseal the turbo pedestal, and replace the EBP line. These are all pretty simple to do with the engine in as well so could easily be put off until you actually have a problem, but I'm sure there would be some savings in doing it all now.

Finally, be sure to replace the dipstick tube as well. I'm assuming this would be part of it anyways but just making sure.
Thx. When I had the valve covers off to put new injectors and glow plugs in, I put a serious kink in the dip stick tube... The bracket was held by a nut on top of a valve cover stud, which was seized up and it twisted during removal. I had to grind the dip stick down nice and skinny to make it fit afterwards! That's on my list.
post #6 of 22 Old 12-16-2019, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Anyone have experience with Pro Source Diesel? They have a kit with EBP delete pedestal, bellowed up pipes, billet wheel, and hardware for $360.
post #7 of 22 Old 12-16-2019, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
I don't have any experience with them but you may have fitment issues with the up pipes (some of the cheaper ones have had fitment issues from what i remember) and just my personal opinion is i would pay the extra money for a WW2. That one is probably a cheap Chinese one. That thing spins fast and to me quality is more important then price.

Also if there is any chance you may ever need to replace valve springs it is WAY easier when it is out.

2017 F350 6.7L 4x4 FX4 SRW CCSB Lariat Ultimate

Soldó2002 F350 7.3 4x4 SRW CCLB. GTP38R, PIS 175/80 injectors, Sam Wyse Stage 2 Trans, 6.0 cooler, Banks Intercooler, 4" Turbo back Exhaust, PHP tuned TS 6 position chip, CNC 4 Line feed, HPOP and HPX Lines. International bellowed up pipes. AFE Stage 2 Intake w/ Dry filter. Banks exhaust brake and smart lock. Hutch/Harpoon mod, 910 Valve springs, Billet intake plenums. Firestone airbags. Trailready full guard front bumper. PIAA Driving and Fog lights. Micky Thompson Wheels.

post #8 of 22 Old 12-16-2019, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
My 95 dually has been in the shop for a week now. I'm getting an engine refresh/reseal done. All new upper and lower gasket sets, Ford oil pan sealant with dip stick mount replaced, rings, bearings, turbo rebuild and ww2 install, heads resurfaced and ARP head bolts installed, new turbo to pedestal bolts and pedestal to engine bolts, new exhaust man. bolts, new water pump/thermostat, new LPOP, HPOP O-rings replaced, and fresh new synthetic oil. My mechanic is going to try to get it back to me before X-mas but he has a busy shop this time of year. Can't wait.
post #9 of 22 Old 12-17-2019, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlsalem View Post
My 95 dually has been in the shop for a week now. I'm getting an engine refresh/reseal done. All new upper and lower gasket sets, Ford oil pan sealant with dip stick mount replaced, rings, bearings, turbo rebuild and ww2 install, heads resurfaced and ARP head bolts installed, new turbo to pedestal bolts and pedestal to engine bolts, new exhaust man. bolts, new water pump/thermostat, new LPOP, HPOP O-rings replaced, and fresh new synthetic oil. My mechanic is going to try to get it back to me before X-mas but he has a busy shop this time of year. Can't wait.
How much is the engine refresh going to cost? It sounds like a rebuild?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #10 of 22 Old 12-17-2019, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
All the parts I've got just under 3700 and my labor cost is 3500 or less. That will depend on what the crank and cam looks like and a few other things that can't be determined until the engine is tore down. There was 203000 miles on it and I'm the third owner and I have no clue to how it was taken care of by them. I had an oil leak in the front of the pan so knowing the right way to fix that was to remove the engine and decided since it's out I would do what I've always wanted and planned to do when I bought the truck. I'm not planning to do anything to the block, just rings and bearings, but that's one of the things to be determined. Also not doing anything to the heads except guides and a very lite resurfacing. Everything else is new on the truck that I've gotten in the 7 years I've owned it. The last planned upgrades are body and paint and GearVender. When complete I'll be into it for 30K. Just want to pass it on to my son so everything I'm doing is making sure it will last his life time. I'm hoping for at least another 10 so I can enjoy it too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode