Opinions and suggestions needed regarding E99 to L99 swap. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 12-01-2019, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Opinions and suggestions needed regarding E99 to L99 swap.

First off, hello everyone. I've been a long time fan but have never registered or posted anything until now. Second, I'm sorry for posting about a subject that has probably been beaten to death over the years, but I thank everyone for your help with regards to my dilemma.
I have been reading through a lot of posts regarding E99 to L99 conversions, but am not sure what path to take. I have an E99 7.3 truck that needs a motor (number 7 piston is hurt). Well I happened upon a 2000 7.3 truck basically for free. I bought the truck and sold the zf6, transfer case, and wheels and tires for what I paid for the whole truck. What I'm trying to figure out/ decide is whether to drop in the entire Late 7.3 in place of the Early.
Here are my options as I see it...
Swap just the long blocks or swap the complete motors, turbo, hpop, everything... however for me this is where it gets confusing. What can I swap or Not swap to make it all work as it should? If I swap just the long blocks I still plan on doing a few preventative items such as injector cups, pilot bushing, gaskets, stuff like that (what else would you all recommend?) I believe the up pipes were leaking but cannot afford to upgrade them so I will have to just replace the gaskets.
I also believe that either route I go with will require a turbo rebuild. What is the best option with regards to this? I'm not looking to make a bunch of power and I am on a tight budget.
Next part is, if I do the full swap it will be the complete motor from the turbo on down. I will even be using the computer from from the 2000. First question is, what do I do with the intake heater and supporting wiring? Do I just delete it and remove whatever wires go to it from as far back into the harness as I can trace? Will it cause a check engine light? I believe I had read somewhere that it did, but may be wrong?
Next is, what will need to be done as far as the exhaust? I assume the down pipe will need to be changed as well? The up pipes on the 2000 were for sure leaking, so I will need to reseal those. What about making my own bellowed pipes? Would that solve anything or would the factory connections still be prone to blowing out?
As far as the turbos go, is it cheaper to rebuild or replace? Say for example I have zero knowledge rebuilding a turbo. I would be looking at getting a complete center section rather than tearing apart and replacing seals and bearings and such. Or is it better to buy a whole turbo?
Is doing the E99 to Late conversion worth doing at all? Keep in mind I'm not looking for crazy power. I was daily driving the truck and occasionally would tow a 30' enclosed trailer with my race car and some tools. That's about it. MPG could use improvement and I had read that the newer computer swap would help that out.
I'm sorry if I'm rambling, I've had a lot of things going though my head with regards to this for a few weeks now. I tend to over think things then get stressed out about it LOL. That is the entire reason I'm even posting rather than spending the next several weeks reading through forums to try to come up with a decision on my own.
Bottom line, I need help. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to Powerstokes. I have mechanical knowledge but its mostly with old school muscle cars.
Any help you guys can give will be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-02-2019, 12:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
I swapped an '03 motor into my e'99, using the later model turbo and AD code injectors. I rebuilt the turbo, and resealed alot of things, replaced the up pipes with the Dorman bellowed kit, and plugged the AIH hole. Not hard to do, and had less than $1000 in parts, gaskets, etc, including new clutch and oil pan. I've got tons of pictures, and a thread on here somewhere... PM me if you like to talk.

Edit: No thread here, but I did detail my swap on another site I spend alot of time on... worth checking it out, includes details and pictures on turbo rebuild, oil cooler, etc... https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...wap-7-3-a.html

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
E'99 F250 extcab, S/Bed 223k. W/ 378k mile 7.3 motor installed at 212k

'00 Excursion Limited, 7.3PSD 308k

'02 F250 extcab, L/bed, 340k. 7.3L 6spd 4x4

'00 F250 CCSB, 5.4 gasser 235k

200? F250 SuperDuperDuty Extended crew cab short bed project in process w/ 3rd row seating. 7.3L, 6spd, 4x4

Semper Paratus

Last edited by dieselcrawler; 12-02-2019 at 01:05 PM.
post #3 of 20 Old 12-04-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you for the reply! I'm glad to hear from someone that has done it and thank you for the link as well. Did eliminating the intake heater give you a check engine light?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 12-04-2019, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Opinions and suggestions needed regarding E99 to L99 swap.

Deleting the intake heater will cause a soft code; itíll show up on a scanner but shouldnít throw a light. It may throw the light on California models though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 20 Old 12-04-2019, 05:47 PM

Garage
Putting a newer motor into the older chassis was no issue in my case, the E99 PCM isn't looking for the AIH. I removed the AIH on my other later model truck and had no issues.
[email protected] likes this.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

200? F250 SuperDuperDuty Extended crew cab short bed project in process w/ 3rd row seating. 7.3L, 6spd, 4x4

Semper Paratus
post #6 of 20 Old 12-05-2019, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 1214 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
What @dieselcrawler said. Assuming you are keeping the early 99 PCM, it will not throw a soft code for the AIH because the early 99's do not have them. But if you swap the PCM too, although you dont need to, then it would give you a soft code. I would personally keep the e99 PCM in the truck, so in case you sell it and someone else needs to anything to the PCM, you wont confuse them why it has been swapped. Since you are not looking for more power really, sell the 2000 PCM.

Don't mess with the cups if the donor truck does not have any fuel in the coolant tank. Cups are one of those "dont fix what isnt broke" things.

As for the turbo rebuilding, we do have a nice kit, and the 7.3L turbos are honestly one of the easiest turbos to rebuild. Check the compressor and turbine wheels for tip damage. Your e99 turbo actually has a slightly better compressor wheel design than the 2000, as it is less prone to surge.

https://cncfab.us/i-30497751-garrett...p38-360rk.html

[SIZE="3"]For all your ford powerstroke needs. If you dont see what you are looking for on the website, please use the contact page and shoot us a message or
Part numbers will help alot too if they are not on our site.

post #7 of 20 Old 12-11-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry for the late reply, I drive truck over the road and have been running pretty solid due to the holidays, but I thank you all for the replies and helpful recommendations.

So, say I do use the newer pcm just for a little more power... what would be my option for getting rid of the soft code for the aih?
Also if I use the newer turbo can I upgrade just the wheel to a wicked wheel or something to combat the surge and if I do that will it be a better set up overall that the e99 set up?
Mainly what I have in mind is trying to make the truck run more efficiently, mpg, and throttle response mostly. I also seemed to notice the 2000 truck had a smoother quieter idle... or so I thought. Maybe it's my mind playing tricks on me though?
My e99 already has brand new injectors that are whatever model the L99 trucks have, AD I believe, with the different number 8 injector? So I was planning to swap those to the 2000 motor... mainly just since they are new.
I do like the don't fix if not broke idea on the cups but I feel like it would be nice to throw in some of the stainless cups as a preventative measure so I... hopefully... don't have to worry about them ever again. I really don't want to mess with them in the truck later down the line if at all possible.
Also are there any true real benefits swapping to the 2000 brakes and steering stuff since I have it all? I want to make sure I take as much useful stuff off the 2000 as I can before it goes to scrap. That, and I plan on keeping this truck a very long time and don't want to kick myself later down the line for not "upgrading" to newer/ better parts when I had them and they are all paid for now.
post #8 of 20 Old 12-11-2019, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

One last thing about the newer brakes and steering stuff, the E99 is a srw f350 and the 2000 is an f250. Is there a difference in the parts as far as strength or does the strength only come into play if the 350 was a dually?
Thanks again!
post #9 of 20 Old 12-12-2019, 10:25 AM

Garage
If you're just scrapping what's left, unbolt stuff like calipers, rotors, front wheel bearings, etc... smaller stuff that can be easily stored on a shelf until needed. Will save you big bucks and down time when you need it.

I have 4 of these trucks that run and drive, and another in stripped project form, spare parts on the shelf, both new and used, has saved my @$$ more times than I can count. Save all you reasonably can.

Greg

Semper Paratus
post #10 of 20 Old 12-12-2019, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
What kind of condition is the donor truck/motor in? If it's under 200k and not rusty, I'd swap it in directly and fix things as they come up.

You mention not having the money for up pipes - I see kits on Amazon with good reviews sub $100. It's just pipe, I personally don't see the need for International parts here. I'd also skip the stainless injector cups. Brass lasts 200k miles plus which for most of us is longer than the rest of the truck will last. I haven't known anyone running stainless cups long term in these trucks either so who says they won't fail too.

If it was me, I'd drop in the whole 2000 long block as it sits with the 2000 PCM and air intake (it's different). The AIH soft code is really nothing to worry about and effects nothing, including inspections with OBDII. Besides fixing KNOWN problems, I would replace the oil pan and gasket either by flipping the block over while the gasket cures or using the Moroso gasket. This is the only job that can't be done with the engine in the truck that is a known failure point. Beyond that, pulling the turbo, injector cups, water pumps, etc. are all small weekend projects if the time comes.

I would raid the 2000 for spare parts before selling - calipers, rotors, and wheel bearings are all different so make sure to keep everything. Same with steering parts, though I wouldn't bother keeping it all. Some minor things changed that don't allow most of the steering parts to interchange, so it's better to just replace a part as needed with e99 ones. The newer stuff isn't necessarily better. Spare PS pumps, tranny lines, hoses, intercooler boots, etc. may all come in handy too. From the old motor, remove the turbo wheel and injectors. Sell the injectors since they won't work with the new PCM (and new HPOP may not play nice, though I'm not sure on this one).

2000 ECLB 4x4 7.3L PSD - Converted from a beat up XL farm truck and frame off restored thanks to New England road salt
Cosmetic: 05 Harley front end, 11 tailgate, black sport full power interior, 05 dash with aux switches and brake controller
Performance: AFE intake, SPX billet compressor wheel, Turbomaster wastegate, blank pedestal & exhaust housing, MBRP 5" exhaust, PHP Hydra, gauges and CTS2
Audio: Sony XAV-AX5000, JBL Club speakers, fully sound deadened

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
e99 to l99 , motor swap , turbo swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode