1Likes
  • 1 Post By RebelRiderNC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 11-14-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
LED headlights causing throttle issues?!?!

so i got some new headlights the other day and they came with led bulbs already. they came out of an 06 truck and had adapters on the bulbs. i didnt need them to plug in o i took them off and hooked them up. no problems with the lights, plenty bright but now when i turn my lights on or off my rpms bounce up or drop down and its not every one in a while its every time i go from off to on. also when my lights are on my throttle when in drive is unresponsive for the first 1/4 of a pedal movement and once i go so far with the pedal the rpms jump and the truck lurches forward. no more easing into the throttle from a stop. im going to see about putting regular bulbs back in and see if it fixes it but im curious to see if anyone has ever had this issue before. ALSO the new headlights are aftermarket and dont have adjusters on the top to adjust angle and the beams are points down severely, anyone have a fox for that. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-15-2019, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,126 Times in 2,034 Posts
Mentioned: 432 Post(s)
Quoted: 3140 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
cheap bulbs can cause interference with electronics.

It could also be an AMP draw issue causing your alt to struggle.
This could be a weak battery, bad wiring/grounds, or a failing alt.

GD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #3 of 4 Old 11-16-2019, 02:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have no experience with it on these trucks. However I used to work at a Motorcycle shop and we did a lot of work on Can Am Spyders. We had a customer once experiencing some running issues that we had a hard time tracing out. Turned out be his HID headlights he had installed. They were installed correctly, the guy wired police cars for a living, but they were interfering with something in the electronics. I know these are 2 totally different scenarios, but that just furthers Heavy's point, that there can sometimes be weird issues with things that should be unrelated.
DaveP. likes this.

2000 F250 CCSB Auto
DIY Intake with Amsoil Filter
Hutch and Harpoon Mods
Hydra
Riff Raff Billet Wheel
Riff Raff Boots
FRX
ISSPRO EV2 Boost, Pyro, and Trans Temp
EBPV Deleted Pedestal and Outlet
Bellowed Up Pipes
4" MBRP
315/75/16s with Add A Leaf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-16-2019, 12:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
LED lighting utilizes Pulse Width Modulation to control brightness. An LED is either ON or OFF. PWM is a square wave with the high being ON and the low being OFF. PWM varies the time between the two ranges. More ON is brighter, More OFF is dimmer. The frequency of the PWM is high enough that the "switching" isn't supposed to be detected by the human eye, and appears to be an even brightness. (I'll digress for a moment: There is a Honda Civic model about 8 years old that has a tail light with about 15 round LEDs the size of a dime. I find that particular light on that car annoying as fuk. I think it is because it uses a low PWM rate, my eyes are detecting the switching, and appears to be so harsh that I can't look at them. Rant off).

I think the OP's LED headlight PWM electronics are creating electrical noise. A small capacitor of about 15 Mfd across the ground and low beam input might clean it up. But I've never tried it.

Does the odd behavior exist in High Beam? Likely, high beam is 100% ON, no PWM. If so, no PWM noise in high beam, truck runs correctly, its the headlights for sure. Drive around with the highs on. Make new friends with oncoming drivers.

Last edited by DaveP.; 11-16-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
aftermarket , headlights , leds , nonadjustable , throttle lag

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode