Weird Code? P1316 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 11-14-2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Fire From the Clouds!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Weird Code? P1316

So the other night I was WOT accelerating onto the highway and my check engine light came on for a millisecond then went off. If it wasn't night time I wouldn't have even noticed it. No change in the way the truck drove or anything. I had my hydra set to the stock setting. It was the coldest night of the year and I figured it was just an overboost code from all the nice cold air for the turbo.

Today I got around to checking the code and its a P1316. Google says that's an IDM code but all the threads relating to it are having starting issues. Truck runs great and I cleared the code.

Thoughts? I know my hydra isn't lose as it switches tunes fine. I also had my IDM replaced about 6-7 years and 40K miles ago so I doubt its failing.

2002 Ford F350-Lariat-CrewCab-LongBed-7.3L PowerStroke Intercooled Turbo Diesel!
2.5 PMF lift on 325/60r20 Nitto M/T's
Enough Stuff To Pull Yours!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-14-2019, 02:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you have the equipment, you can do a Buzz Test as a check and the IDM will do a self-test to try to resolve further codes.

At this point, it's either a glitch you might not see again or a sign of early trouble...

Keep an eye out for it to return
post #3 of 8 Old 11-21-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Fire From the Clouds!

It happened again on Tuesday. I drove the truck 50 miles on the highway fine and let it sit for a few hours. When I got back in it, after a few miles the check engine light started flashing again anytime I went over half throttle. It did this until the truck was at full operating temperature. Same code P1316, Hydra in stock setting and no change in performance at all.

Yesterday, Wednesday, it didn't happen at all. I also put my 65hp tune on and no CEL or performance issues or anything.

2002 Ford F350-Lariat-CrewCab-LongBed-7.3L PowerStroke Intercooled Turbo Diesel!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-21-2019, 02:01 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1679 Post(s)
Garage
Did you ever look at your IDM or use something like Forscan to perform a buzztest?

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #5 of 8 Old 11-21-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Fire From the Clouds!

I'm looking up how to do a Buzztest now. It seems the app Car Gauge Pro has this feature in it. Taking it to a diesel shop to perform one is out of the question, closest one is an hour away.

EDIT:

I should also note around March I had all my injectors, glow plugs, ucvh, etc replaced with brand new stuff and the truck runs like brand new so I doubt any of it is failing.

Last edited by Horizon122; 11-21-2019 at 02:07 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-21-2019, 04:55 PM
Serving Our Country!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon122 View Post
I'm looking up how to do a Buzztest now. It seems the app Car Gauge Pro has this feature in it. Taking it to a diesel shop to perform one is out of the question, closest one is an hour away.

EDIT:

I should also note around March I had all my injectors, glow plugs, ucvh, etc replaced with brand new stuff and the truck runs like brand new so I doubt any of it is failing.
ld download the forscan ap and order a usb to OBDII adapter like $30 for a good one online. Forscan can do almost everything ford auto ingenuity can fo-fhwee! I would also disconnect the batteries and check the IDM see if there is water or corroded wire clip connector to it. Forscan is a little clunky but its got some great features that i'll be honest have helped save me a ton of money and time more than once since downloading it.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #7 of 8 Old 11-21-2019, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Fire From the Clouds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
ld download the forscan ap and order a usb to OBDII adapter like $30 for a good one online. Forscan can do almost everything ford auto ingenuity can fo-fhwee! I would also disconnect the batteries and check the IDM see if there is water or corroded wire clip connector to it. Forscan is a little clunky but its got some great features that i'll be honest have helped save me a ton of money and time more than once since downloading it.
That's how my old IDM went out was my windshield was leaking and water got to the IDM, caused the truck to run on half cylinders like an unplugged uvch. But I changed my windshield the sametime as my IDM and the interior/fuse box area, etc have been bone dry. I didn't happen today either, thankfully.

Can I do it wirelessly? My laptop has bluetooth connectivity and I already have a OBDII to bluetooth for my gauge setup.

post #8 of 8 Old 11-21-2019, 08:34 PM
Serving Our Country!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon122 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
That's how my old IDM went out was my windshield was leaking and water got to the IDM, caused the truck to run on half cylinders like an unplugged uvch. But I changed my windshield the sametime as my IDM and the interior/fuse box area, etc have been bone dry. I didn't happen today either, thankfully.

Can I do it wirelessly? My laptop has bluetooth connectivity and I already have a OBDII to bluetooth for my gauge setup.
Oh yes for sure. I believe it’s called an elm327 I have two of them lol. One in the tool box and one in the truck or another vehicle. They work great.

You can have forscan auto detect the obdII reader or set it manually to usb or Bluetooth etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode