• 4 Post By DaveP.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cruise Control not shutting off

Hey guys, almost had a scary situation the other day. Had cruise control set at 80 on my 2000 7.3 and had to get off on an exit quick. I hit the off button on the steering wheel; nothing. Hit the brakes; nothing.

Stepped on the brake pretty hard to see what would happen and the truck started shaking bad, the engine was really trying to fight the brakes and maintain speed. I had to put it into neutral and coast to a stop on the exit. Put it back in drive and it was fine

What should I look at? I know thereís a brake pedal sensor on the master cylinder and near the pedal itself that has something to do with disengaging cruise control. Although I think if these were bad it would still shut off with the button on the wheel. Anything I should look for?

I just got new custom tunes from Jelibuilt Performance, I cant remember if I had it in cruise before this happened with the new tunes, I think I did and it was fine. So probably not an issue with tuning, but possible I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2019, 07:29 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Garage
Looks like you need to do some lower speed testing -- then maybe revert the tune and re-test

Yes, the brake pedal switch should have cut the speed off -- or the Cancel button
kick the tranny in neutral, should auto cut off at 30 mph

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
It's definitely computer related as it's computer controlled

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2019, 02:45 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Some simple questions first. Does the horn work? Brake lights work? ABS light illuminated?
As @Hydro stated, revert to stock and retest at a lower speed.
Then on to the basics.
Check the connector to the sw @ master cylinder as well as near the pedal. Ohm out the switches with pedal engaged and disengaged.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:56 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have personally experienced cruse control issues if I have cruise on and then change tunes etc. now I turn cruise off, let the truck coast for a millisecond then change tunes and resume. Im betting its whats happening to you. You running a tune, with cruise on then change and the ecm is still running cruise based off the prior ecm setting etc. I feel it should be a warning on the labels/instructions but maybe it doesn't happen enough or we both have strange trucks lol.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
Old 11-14-2019, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

I didnít change a tune though, I was in my daily tune the whole time on the highway. Iíll have to check sensors when I get home, I heard there is a recall on the one on the master cylinder

Old 11-14-2019, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I changed the sensor on my master cylinder a while back because the cruise would either not engage or it would disengage on its own. I found out that the was a recall on it years ago because the factory sensor would leak and had the potential to start a fire under the hood. The replacement part was less than $20. Simple fix.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

2001 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3L
Old 11-14-2019, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

I think Iíll try that, mine appears to be original.

I still think the button on the wheel would have shut it off though, if not the brake pedal

Old 11-14-2019, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3_TurboDiesel View Post
I still think the button on the wheel would have shut it off though,
if not the brake pedal
There are only three inputs to the PCM for the cruise in a Diesel. The steering wheel buttons, the hydraulic switch on the M/C, and speed (gry/blk wire) from the ABS module. The "cruise control" is contained entirely within the PCM.

One would think the steering wheel should shut it off, but the "off" button is not a "switch". The PCM interprets the resistance for the buttons as certain commands, including the off command. The horn is zero ohms, the cruise buttons are higher, each of them is different. If cruise sets, and responds to up/down speed commands, the OFF should function too, as the PCM has to interpret the different resistance values for the different buttons. Including "off".

The only cruise brake input controlled by the brake pedal is the hydraulic switch on the master cyl under the hood. It is a normally closed switch. If the switch contacts are open, or there is no power to the switch in RUN, the cruise will not set. The switches inside the truck on the pedal for the lights, shifter lock, etc have nothing to do with cruise.

I think you have a tune problem. It ignored BOTH inputs to disengage.

Turning the key off should disengage the cruise as well as solve the "runaway" problem. Something to remember if it does it again.

Last edited by DaveP.; 11-14-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Great info, thank you. I will do some testing next time I have the truck out to see if it acts up consistently and if it does I will contact Brian at Jelibuilt Performance to see if he can fix any tuning issues

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in