LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
mounting onboard battery maintainer

So due to moving closer to work I have a battery tender bought from a fello org member but needed another dedicated one for the truck. I got a noco 4amp waterproof onboard tender (see pic). Ironically not many pics of where people mount them lol. Anyone have a battery maintainer/charger mounted on the 99-07 or newer/later trucks to give me ideas. Ideally i'll order one of those flush mount plugs and have it drilled into the front bumper but just curious what others found worked?

I'll live .5 miles from work in a couple of weeks, so truck will sit most times during the week and make 10-30 min trips make in winter. She gets most use in summer for travels.

Curious where others mounted tenders and spots I may not think are good/bad etc.

Appreciate it/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery tender by NOCO.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	564.9 KB
ID:	724823  

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2019, 12:46 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I got a battery tender and used the battery mount cables and a 6' extension https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende.../dp/B0725FJKFW. I routed the 6' extension from the passenger side battery to the bumper and zip tied it to a tow hook. My tow hooks are bleck, so it somewhat matches the black cable.

I can't figure out why these battery tenders don't come with a battery cable that you don't need to open the hood to connect to the wall. I can only think that when people fab these hood closed connections, that they enough of them catch fire from driving away with them connected for these to become a liability issue. With having to hook it up with the hood open, makes it hard to forget to disconnect.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good 6.0 Reading:
Old 11-04-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Garage
Its mostly for winter use. Truck get exposed to -25 degrees, and .5 mile trips or strictly weekend trips so shoveling 3ft of snow off the hood the night/day before is meh. I have in my mind a nice system that has kept me from driving off with a battery tender connected so far (knock on wood). I have the wifes Subaru and my commuter car that im gonna use the battery tender brand charger on. Summer time is no issue though so this is only a few months of the year and $60 battery tender is way cheaper than batteries.

My system 99.9% of the time

1-Before starting: quick walk around: how do tires look, any spots/drips/fluids under the truck, anything out of the ordinary, (bright cords coming out of engine bay or drivers side tow hook lol)
2-Start truck and let it idle for a bit and check gauges
3-Drive off

*It takes a whole 1 minute max but the truck does its high idle for about 5 minutes then I drive off easy till truck warms up. It literally takes me longer to shovel the snow off and scrape the windows than my walk-around so I do it for the truck and work vehicles at least. Has helped me catch fluid leaks, and catch flat/super low tires before numerous times. caught a super low tire from a nail, caught a huge sidewall bubble, and caught fuel leak and bad drain plug that put a 4in diameter oil circle randomly for a year before I got the fumoto drain valve. Appreciate the insight. Looking forward to see what others did.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2019, 01:58 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Following. Got a Noco Gen 1 and I'm trying to figure it out, too. Mostly trying to decide where to drill a two inch hole for the power inlet. I have a bright green extension cord to remind me to unplug it.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:00 PM

Thanked 1,820 Times in 1,764 Posts
Mentioned: 703 Post(s)
Quoted: 3945 Post(s)
the underhood area of the 6.0 is pretty loaded but you can remove the grille and I think there are some good mounting locations in the recesses of the cowl

i hve 3 of the NOCO units I run the 3 bank on my boat, the NOCO Genius GENM2 8 Amp 2-Bank On-Board Battery Charger on my dual battery K5 ( auto battery isolation when key off like the ford should have )
and the small noco on my motorcycle
they sure make a good charger line up
JustinOOO9 likes this.

6.0 flush pdf
Old 11-04-2019, 04:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
I have an on-board 5 amp charger similar to the NOCO units ZMANN likes. It is mounted to the passenger side battery insulator with 10-24 through bolts, positioned between the battery and the radiator. The output is hard wired to the battery terminals, and the power cord is routed down to the behind the bumper area where the engine heater cord is.

When the truck is in storage between trips (outdoors) it is front-first into its spot and if it is staying long enough to plug it in, it also gets covered. I have a cord pre-run to the spot, and plug it in. As part of the un-cover drill, the cord gets unplugged and put up on the wall. When I go to back out, I look for the cord on the wall to confirm that it is unplugged. 6+ years, I've only had the cord follow me once. Woops.

I like the Marinco power inlets, but that's a big hole, and there aren't many places to put it. My cord deal has been working well for me for quite awhile now, and with the 3-fer that is on the end of the heater cord, I can use both if I need to in cold country like the Reno trips. The batteries just went over 4 years, which is record for this truck. Before the charger they would only go 2 to 2-1/2 years.

Edit/Add: @Justin0009 I like your pre-trip inspection routine, but for cold-country with snow, I like mine better. I walk over to the window and Remote Start it with the system I installed for the previous owner so he could do the same thing in Colorado. I take my shower or finish my coffee, and when I'm ready to go, the truck is nice and toasty inside and ready to make power as soon as I put it in gear. (It still has a functioning EBPV which reduces available power when activated). No dinking around in the snow other than pull the cord and hang it on the hook on the side of the house.
ZMANN likes this.

Last edited by DaveP.; 11-04-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I mounted a 5 amp tender last season. It isnt really mounted it just has a few zip ties holding it by driver battery. Ran the power cord down by my block heater so I can plug them in together.

Early 99 F350 7.3 PSD Diy Intake,4 in TB straight pipe, 17* HPOP CCV Mod, Foil Delete, HPX, BTS VB, Coolant Filter, Autometer Boost, Pyro, Trans, TrueTrac, TC Lockup, EBPV Brake, Leveled, Tru Cool 4739
03 Cobra 530/550
97 Saturn SL1 - Sold
2000 Focus - DD

Old 11-04-2019, 07:09 PM

Thanked 1,820 Times in 1,764 Posts
Mentioned: 703 Post(s)
Quoted: 3945 Post(s)
the NOCO receptical is way better than the Marinco IMO
and they have some with two female ends so you can plug in say a oil pan heater or other item

the nice thing is you do not have to cut of the male end of the device and void the warranty

the down side is you will want to protect the plugs from water intrusion

DaveP. likes this.

6.0 flush pdf

Last edited by ZMANN; 11-04-2019 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Garage
@DaveP.

Mind if I ask the brand of the remote start if ya know etc? Been going back n fourth on the ravelco alarm and or viper just havent made the call because I’m nervous about someone cutting into all that wiring on a truck that is getting more and more parts discontinued. Something about Ford stopping the battery cables the other day too.
@ZMANN

I totally forgot to add that Noco plug in the Amazon cart 🤦‍♂️ but it had already shipped before I realized, so I’ll just order it next time I need something hahahahaha. I wanna get the two female ends to add the block heater but my block heater cord is bad so need that replaced too lol.

Hopefully this weekend I can experiment with mounting locations and maybe a few more pics from others will pop up too.

Old 11-04-2019, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
So due to moving closer to work I have a battery tender bought from a fello org member but needed another dedicated one for the truck. I got a noco 4amp waterproof onboard tender (see pic). Ironically not many pics of where people mount them lol. Anyone have a battery maintainer/charger mounted on the 99-07 or newer/later trucks to give me ideas. Ideally i'll order one of those flush mount plugs and have it drilled into the front bumper but just curious what others found worked?

I'll live .5 miles from work in a couple of weeks, so truck will sit most times during the week and make 10-30 min trips make in winter. She gets most use in summer for travels.

Curious where others mounted tenders and spots I may not think are good/bad etc.

Appreciate it/
THERE IS A SPACE IN FRONT OF THE PASSENGER SIDE BATTERY NEXT TO THE WASHER FLUID FILLER NECK THAT LOOKS LIKE A GOOD LOCATION.....

ALSO THE SAME SPACE ON THE DRIVER'S SIDE.....

ONE MORE THING.....IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE THE EXTENSION PLUG.....YOU COULD PROBABLY CUT THE HOLE IN THE HIGH PART OF THE FENDER WELL.....SINCE THE PLUG COVER IS WATER PROOF.....AND THE CONNECTION WOULD BE OUT OF SIGHT WHILE NOT IN USE.....

2001 F-350 ECLB SRW.....CURRENTLY IN THE SHOP FOR THE TYPICAL FORD RUST REPAIR.....AND SOME MAINTENANCE.....SHOULD BE ON THE ROAD SOON?....

CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR AN AFTERMARKET REAR BUMPER.....

Last edited by GETFURIOUS; 11-04-2019 at 09:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in